What about softball?

thssoph07

This is one of the best teams rhs has ever had these girls play hard,they won what some call the little league championship and they are very proud of it to,i think they will win the state in high school softball to,Renia will beat anyone she faces including Muncey.With a field of players like she has, there is no way she will lose.The meade girl,hurt,stilner,timber, plus the keen girl who just may be one of the best ever to play at rhs. go blue!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Branson strikes out 16 for Bearcats

JONESVILLE, Va. – Virginia High’s all-time strikeout leader Megan Branson increased her career total with 16 more Ks Thursday afternoon.

The senior only gave up two hits and scored the game-winning run in the sixth inning to lead the Bearcats to a key 2-1 Highlands District victory over Lee High.

Branson (8-1) retired the first 15 batters she faced and then ended the game by striking out the final three batters she faced, the last strikeout coming with Lee’s Laken Stewart standing on third base with the potential tying run.

Bearcat head coach Barry Reed said Lee just keeps getting better and better and his pitcher is really throwing well.

"This is one of the best fields we play on in Southwest Virginia. But it’s hard to come over here and win anymore," Reed said. "I think the last time over here it was 1-0 in 10 innings."

Virginia High (9-2, 4-0) grabbed an early lead when Tonya Stallard drew a base on balls in the third inning, stole second, and after moving to third on a wild pitch, scored on an error to give VHS a 1-0 lead.

The Bearcats added another run in the top of the sixth when they scored the game’s only earned run. Branson singled up the middle and Megan Shutter’s single to left field plated Branson for a 2-0 advantage.

But the Generals (8-4, 1-2) got back in the game in the bottom of the sixth inning when Lee’s Sammi Music tripled for their first hit and scored on the Bearcats’ only error of the contest, making the score 2-1.

With the tying run on third base in the bottom of the seventh, however, Branson struck out three straight batters to seal the victory.

In addition to Branson and Shutters, Julia Legard was the only other Virginia High batter to hit safely in contest.

"We know we’ve got pitching," said Reed, "but we’re just lacking in our hitting right now."

Branson said with the game on the line in the Generals’ last at bat, she knew she had to bear down.

"That’s definitely an incentive to throw harder," said Branson. "When runners are on base it always makes me work harder because sometimes I start slacking off and that’s not good."

Lee head coach Mike Twigg said the Bearcats definitely had the upper hand.

"It was a good ballgame, but one play can change the whole game," said Twigg.

Virginia High 001 001 0 – 2 3 1

Lee High 000 001 0 – 1 2 2

Branson and Martinez. Blevins and Music. WP - Branson (8-1). LP - Blevins (2-1). HR - None.

I haven't been able to check this thing out in a while. Finally caught up tonight! The Boss...I read your earlier post about "Do you have a Perkins. A Steele, Armes, Cordle, Grindstaff, Street, Tolliver, and Warner. I doubt it. These were ladies who knew the game. They could hit, field and do what it takes to win." I couldn't agree more with you! Add Michelle Hill to that list...one of the best outfielders in the game!! I grew up watching those girls play...I was there for both state titles! In fact, my sister is in the above mentioned list...she has both state rings!! Those ladies were a true inspiration...Blevins didn't have to coach...those girls already had the talent! Though I do agree that the Lady Blues are a kick a$$ team this year...I don't believe that there will ever be another team like the state teams!

Comments on the Richlands Tazewell game tonight: Yeah, Taz. beat Richlands 3-1...the funny thing?? Proffitt was sick as a dog...and still pitched and all Taz. could score was 3 runs?? Proffitt wasn't even at her full potential tonight? She still did awesome...but man I can't wait till Richlands plays Taz. at home....I'm gonna hate to see what Proffitt does to them then, when she is healthygrin.gif

I agree I dont think there will be another team like the state teams,but one team isn't like the others. They all have different abilities,different players and different drives. I know this lady blues team this year is a good one and I think they can go to state and win. They can hang with any team in the state.I know this for a fact. I live beside one the JV coaches.

From of the stuff I've read on here, it looks like a few of Richlands fans, and possibly players are over looking their own region and already licking their chomps over playing in the state tourney. Seeing as how the Piedmont teams have pretty much had the number of the SWVA teams the past few years, I wouldn't be celebrating yet! With VHS, Richlands, and Tazewell already looking like they'll be in the tourney, it'll be tough enough already and then you throw in those obvioulsy talented Southern-VA teams. Take it a game at a time and don't overlook anyone!

Renia pitched really good,but were are the hitters?No more excuses,its time to start hitting the ball again.Some of the girls started off real good,homers ya know,but whats happen to them,come on blues you are the best.We love the Blues!

Man....I thought with all the hype about RHS that they would beat the defending SWD champs(which were sophomore dominated last season), pretty daggone easy. Oh well, I guess alot has changed since little league.lol grin.gif

Carrol county has become the old Richlands...Where it is impossible to win a game unless u beat all 11...for you rockets scientists that means you beat their 9 and the 2 umpires because those umps are always horrible..

Pedro1013...I don't have to make excuses for my Lady Blues...I just find it hard to believe that considering Proffitt's condition during that game, all Tazewell could pull out was 3 runs?? She wasn't throwing near as hard as she is capable!

BigBlue02...you're right...each team is different! I was just pointing out that that specific team was special. The bond they had was amazing! Those girls were the true definition of a team...they won as a team and they well...won as a team! wink.gif You know what I mean! Those girls knew how to play ball! There was no competition between them...they stood together...

land_rider...you are sooo right!! The hittin is horrible!! The girls really need to work on their hitting over these next two weeks! I know their capabilities and that game was no representation of them what-so-ever...so c'mon ladies...let's get back out there and show these haters what the LADY BLUES are all about!! Make me proud blues!!

I would say their hitting was bad because Muncy is a better pitcher than they have been facing all season. When you play a "good" schedule (Not the one the Blues have been playing) you're not going to hit the ball as much. The blues bats have been feasting on weak pitching. And you will see that again when they play the dogs, or anyone else with good pitching. Someone in R-land needs to schedule some teams that will help them late in season. Quit living off the weak (so the batting avg are up)and prepare for a tough district or region game. Boy I know the Blues don't want to hear that ------- but it is TRUE!!!!

That is partially true. Richlands has played some tough competition. Going through the Kingsport Invitational is no cake walk. But every team in SWVA is playing an easy schedule, you just can't find good teams in our area.

At least Richlands didn't play POCAHONTAS??? grin.gif Yeah, I agree that Muncey is a "better" pitcher than what they had faced...but by far not what she is blown up to be! Regardless, the Lady Blues have should tore her to pieces! It's not simply that they have played other teams that are easier to beat...I know that these girls have faced pitchers a lot faster and better than Muncey and I know their capabilities! They should have beat her to death! At least it's not like they are striking out everytime they go up to bat, their hitting the ball, it's just right to the players! THEY ARE HITTING!

I talked to Proffitt and she said maybe the fact that she was sick wasn't an excuse...but she'll be dag'on if Taz. gets one hit off of her next time!! She said she'll be coming at'em so hard they won't know what to think!

And another comment I forgot to mention...seems to me like Tazewell doesn't have much sportsmanship?! Muncey has a bad attitude...her taking Stiltner out on second base was uncalled for!! Especially when she had to come to the other side of the bag to do it! Shows a lot about her character! At least Richlands has a lil more class!!

Yeah.. What can I say we lost.. but the way I see it it's just one game... We still have another game on May 20.. Which I am looking forward to..I really don’t think that Richlands has an easy schedule.. We play teams like Haysi,Honaker,Abingdon,Castlewood, to me those teams are not a walk in the park...I know their has been some talk about me being sick... Yes I was very. But it takes 9 + players to win a game and to lose a game.. So I wish all this talk about Muncey V Proffitt would quit... There is more to a team then the pitchers.... So why rag me when it takes an offence and a defense..

We play together, we win together; We lose together, We stay together.

You got to give Muncey credit she beat the blues 3-1 thats a lose regardless of anything you say about her,the blues just had a case of nerves.The next time the blues will beat her,Renia won't let it happen again,she may even pitch lefthanded.that would be cool,plus a no hitter, hey man a cool.gif no hitter against muncey. cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Lady Bearcats top SWD power Tazewell

BY JOSH FLOYD

Sports Correspondent

TriCities.com

May 11, 4:00 AM EDT

BRISTOL, Va. - Tonya Stallard’s career goals may or may not include the manufacturing sector, but she certainly knows how the process works.

The Virginia High sophomore led off two innings with singles Tuesday, then came around to score both "manufactured" runs in a tough 2-1 non-district victory over Southwest District power Tazewell.

With district importance an overriding non-factor at Highland View Park, both upper-echelon squads put forth playoff-like efforts with 16 of the combined 18 fielders recording at least one assist or one putout.

"I think today was just more of a relaxed atmosphere," said Virginia High coach Barry Reed. "I think all of the players were relaxed on both teams, for the most part. Both teams played well defensively."

In what could be a possible Region IV semifinal matchup, Stallard’s aggressive base-running techniques made the difference against Bulldog starter Kari Chaffins. Chaffins allowed just four hits in six innings, but two of the four hits came off Stallard’s bat.

Although Stallard scored twice, following opposite-field singles during the first and third innings, respectively, her trips from third to home were quite adventurous.

In traditional manufacturing style, Stallard moved to second on a wild pitch following her opening-inning single and to third on Heather Martinez’s sacrifice bunt.

Then the journey really turned interesting. A subsequent Melissa Smith bunt single brought up teammate Brittany Crusenberry, who grounded sharply to Bulldog first baseman Whitney Davis.

Alertly, Davis fired a strike to catcher Audra Matney, almost eight feet ahead of a charging Stallard. But Stallard’s hard slide into Matney jarred the ball loose for the game’s first run.

"I was just hoping to knock it loose," said Stallard, who went 2-for-3. "It was a pretty good throw, though."

In the third-inning, Stallard smacked the first pitch from Chaffins into left field. The Bearcats’ center fielder then swiped second and scooted to third on a wild pitch.

Martinez then grounded to Tazewell third baseman Samantha Shepard, who threw over to Davis for the second out. Stallard, meanwhile, broke for the plate following Shepard’s across-the-diamond toss.

For the second-straight time, the relay from Davis beat Stallard to the plate. However, the throw bounced to Matney, who couldn’t hang on to the ball, giving Stallard another score.

Meanwhile, Bearcat starter Cassie Campbell – making her first home varsity start – made the lead stand. Campbell, who fanned six and walked one in her complete-game effort, surrendered her lone run in the fourth. Miranda Fielder sent the first pitch from Campbell deep to the center-field wall for a double.

Whitney Muncey followed by reaching on an error with one out before teammate Tara Shepard drilled a grounder off Campbell’s leg. The VHS freshman still bounced back and threw out Shepard, but the RBI groundout did cut the lead in half.

Campbell then retired 10 of the final 11 hitters, using a sidearm curve ball to keep the Bulldog hitters honest. A strong Bearcat defensive unit didn’t hurt matters either.

"It felt nice to have (my teammates) back me up," said the 14-year-old right-hander, who registered over 60 mph on several fastballs during the late innings.

Tazewell coach Tom Keene echoed the defensive intensity.

"Virginia High plays good defense, and that’s what it’s all about," said Keene, whose squad hadn’t lost to a Virginia school until Tuesday. "They had chances and we had chances, but their chances were better than ours today."

Tazewell (12-3) also threatened with a two-out double from Davis in the sixth, but Campbell – who allowed just two hits – forced a popout from Muncey to end the inning.

"(Campbell) pitched a terrific game tonight," Reed said. "That’s just totally outstanding for a freshman, and I just can’t say enough about her – especially the way she performed on the mound."

Smith went 2-for-2 with a walk for Virginia High (10-2).

Tazewell 000 100 0 – 1 2 1

Virginia High 101 000 x – 2 4 1

Chaffins and Matney. Campbell and Martinez. W – Campbell (2-1). L – Chaffins (1-1). HR – None.