Here's your "AA" All State team

SalemFan

the AP team is a joke...congrats to the ones that made it locally...the coaches poll should be out soon...thats the real deal..AP is voted on by people who never see the kids play for the most part.

[ QUOTE ]

the AP team is a joke...congrats to the ones that made it locally...the coaches poll should be out soon...thats the real deal..AP is voted on by people who never see the kids play for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt, they give little respect to this side of the state, seeing as we only have two votes from the Bristol and Bluefield papers respectively. I was happy to see Colby make it on there, but I honestly don't understand how Lockett made it in the LB core and Aaron Marcum didn't.

I'm sure this statement might call the Va. High Bearcats from out of their den preaching about their big upset, but I don't care, look at the overall team records. I think the coaches poll will reflect a different outcome.

Yea really, I dont see how Aaron Marcum didn't get on, or Garon. This whole AP All-State thing is screwed up, I don't agree with any of it. The boys that deserve to be on there isn't, but oh well, there isn't much we can do now. So congratulations to all the kids that made it from our area, Great job guys.

Can't wait for the REAL ALL-STATE to come out.

This is nothing new guys..the AP team is always a joke.

So how did Horace Hubbard and Ernie Hodge end up on the line anyway?

Last I heard they both played LB...and they both worked out as LB's at the UVA Nike Camp this year.

That convict that plays LB for Martinsville couldn't carry Aaron Marcum's jock strap...and neither can Lockett for that matter...I saw him play 5 games this year and he didn't impress me at all on defense...he was "ok" at FB...then again Terry Smith has friends on the other end of the state so it doesn't surprise me one bit as far as that goes.

The fact that Hodge and Hubbard were named all state at the defensive lineman position was the first thing I noticed also Lance. I guess the AP voters have to get their favorite players in there somewhere.

That kid from VA High wasnt all region 1st team or was he? My only beef with that selection is I guarantee this year that his numbers were not even close to Aarons tackles this year or last year. I do believe that All State should reflect the numbers players put up on the field whether that be tackles, sacks, td,receptions,whatever is specific to their position but have to be taken account of. Because if Aaron can get over 140 tackles two years in a row does that not tell people something? Another thing with them sticking hubbard and hodge in there could they have not done the same thing with Garon? I mean garons numbers are exact mirrors or Ringstaffs on 50 less carries. So could he have not been stuck in somewhere like as a utility or kick returner or something?

Oh well like Lance said AP really screws the local kids. So no matter where you are from if your not on the AP All State Team I would not lose any sleep over it.Afterall, its the coaches that know how well you play not the sports writers in Roanoke that have no idea who you are.

But congrats to those who did make it. I know Owens had a great season and he sure did deserve it.

Sorry to rant about this but same thing happened last year, and will happen every year. 90% of the team is from Roanoke West. Thats just not fair to the great players in SWVA.

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry to rant about this but same thing happened last year, and will happen every year. 90% of the team is from Roanoke West. Thats just not fair to the great players in SWVA.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do mean "Roanoke East", right?

And as for Hodge and Hubbard being voted in as linemen, they were both All-Region at defensive end. So by that logic, they are linemen.

I was asking that as an honest question...I think both deserve to be on it...I just last heard they were playing LB...wondered what was up with that.

I was kinda shocked Salem and Christiansburg didn't have a couple of other players make the list.

Thats what I was thinking. When I read the paper, I kept on looking for Garon and Aaron, but didn't notice their names anywhere. I thought Garon would get at least 2nd team Kick Returner, but oh well. And I can't see how Aaron didn't get 1st team LB. But if you notice, I don't think Andre Hairston was even all Reigion in Region III.

[ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was thinking. When I read the paper, I kept on looking for Garon and Aaron, but didn't notice their names anywhere. I thought Garon would get at least 2nd team Kick Returner, but oh well. And I can't see how Aaron didn't get 1st team LB. But if you notice, I don't think Andre Hairston was even all Reigion in Region III.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be shocked if Andre Hairston didn't get all region in Region III. He was the best back we faced all year. I would say he might be 1st team all state.

I dont think Garon will get 2nd Kick Returner b/c he didn't even win it in his own district or region. My boy Jennings took that honor.

Actually Biscuit, from what is posted on www.cougarfootball.net , Hairston didn't make All Region 1st team. Here is your first team.

Offense

First Team

QB Vic Hall Gretna

RB Kevin Crouse Pulaski County

RB Jonathan Rose Amherst County

RB Billy Ray Welch William Byrd

WR Paul Debnam Prince Edward Co.

WR Boscoe Williams Alleghany

TE David Redick Cave Spring

C Aaron Israel Amherst County

G Chris Moore Amherst County

G Sergio Jones Northside

T Larrel Baines Gretna

T Tommy Burgess Cave Spring

K Cliff Stanley Liberty

KR Mijuan Curtis William Fleming

I think he was sidelined for 5 weeks for an ankle injury, not sure on that though. He was on 2nd team, and here it is.

Offense

Second Team

QB O.B. Blake Liberty

QB Dere Hicks William Fleming

RB Chris Cook Heritage

RB Andre Hairston Salem

RB Darrin McKenzie Brookville

WR Mijuan Curtis William Fleming

WR Jacques Laboone Christiansburg

TE Judd Carte Hidden Valley

C John Loflen Lord Botetourt

G Trey Parris Pulaski County

G Darryl Robertson Liberty

T Thomas Boddie William Fleming

T Adam Adkins Pulaski County

K Kyle Curbow Hidden Valley

KR Jimmy King Hidden Valley

I know that Caleb was first team KR, but I thought they could throw Garon in as a KR or a Utility. He was the KR on the All SWVA team in the Bristol paper.

Its good to see that you support your school and players wavefan64. Do you ever have anything good to say about them or are you so caught up in another team/player to even recognize your OWN? Have you ever considered going to another school?

[ QUOTE ]

Its good to see that you support your school and players wavefan64. Do you ever have anything good to say about them or are you so caught up in another team/player to even recognize your OWN? Have you ever considered going to another school?

[/ QUOTE ]

what's that all about? I don't see anything wrong with what he has said on here? confused.gif

I recognize my own players man. I said Aaron should have been AP all state LB, Garon should have been on there somewhere, he can play every spot on the field. Both of those kids have great heart and are two of the best players to ever come through the doors and wear a Golden Wave uniform. Colby Owens deserves every bit of recognition he gets, as does every other player on the Golden Wave team this year. I believe that Grundy put its finest 11 out on the field for the entire 48 mintues of every game. I love every player on that team as if they were family. You do not know how much I think of every one of those boys.

I'm not the type to get on here and talk [censored] about anybody. That's just my nature man. I like to congratulate every player on their accomplishments, regardless of school, if they are a good ballplayer. I mean, as bad as I hate VA. High, Tyrone Mitchell was one of the best ballplayers to line up on either side of the ball all year. So was every other player that I have gave recognition to. I'm sorry if I pissed you off. I think I have WAVE pride, and a hell of a lot of it! Half of the time, I will be the only one on the sidelines cheering when the defense is on the field. I just love football, I love playing and being a fan of it.

So if you are pissed that I don't get on here and bash every other player in SWVA, so be it. Im not gonna say anything negative, and I'll keep my cool. I try to be level headed, and stay with the facts all the time. If a player deserves recognition, I'll give it to him. If one of my friends or teammates get shammed out of something, I'll be pissed, plain and simple. Did Garon deserve OPY for the SWD? Hell yeah he did. I love the boy like he is my brother. I do believe he deserved it because he had less carries than Cain, and he had more yards in the regular season. The boy is the best back in the state in my mind. People give him a lot of crap, but they can't disagree, the kid is a playmaker, plain and simple. If I had a vote, he would be OPY in the state. Colby deserved DPY, he was a freggin' monster at DE, it's truly a shame that the jailbird from M'ville beat him out. Aaron desrved DPY too! How can you disagree with how that boy plays ball! He is the best LB in the state, pound for pound. I truly think that if we would have played Gretna, he would have showed his true abilities to blitz and sack the QB. Matt Lee, one of the best linemen in the State, he deserves all recognition he gets. So does Andy, Penley, and Looney.

You can't judge my pride man. I tihink I am one of the only ones that digs up history on Grundy football. If you look in my post about the best team ever in SWVA, you will see that I had 96 Grundy listed, and the only reason they didnt make #1 is that if I would have listed them at the top notch, I would have never heard the end of it from Graham fans. The fact that I get on here and try to make friends, and show some support for other teams, that just shows that I'm trying to be a nice guy. I've watched quite a bit of football,and I've probably watched more teams play this year than any other. I'll give credit where credit is due, and all the kids I have mentioned deserved it. I'm sorry if I have made you mad, haven't gave you recognition ect. I hope you will accept my appology. I could have got on here and cussed you to know end, but I tried to be a nice guy in my explantions. Have a good day, and Merry Chirstmas.

just read this whole thread. Congratulations to Smith and Ringstaff from Richlands and Owens from Grundy. These two were linemen were respectively the best offensive and defensive linemen we faced all year. Especially impressed with the Owens kid, great football player.

Lockett started as a soph. but was a victim of the required 2.o (C average) rule last year. It's been hamstringing our program the last decade and was finally done away with this year...nobody else in swva had the rule and it has cost us a lot of good athletes over the years that would have been eligible to play at any other school in swva.

Lockett was the heart of our team this year. I don't know his total # of tackles, but i would think his numbers would compare favorably to A. Marcum. I honestly think that selection went to the winner of our game. They are both Great LB's. Lockett's performance in the two head to head games gave him the edge. He was the main reason we were able to significantly slow down the Grundy running game...plus, it was his fullback dive for ten yards in overtime with Marcum at MLB that decided who went on. To the victor goes the spoils.

Congratulations to all the local players on their all region and all state selections. Sounds like the pickup game was a blast!

Happy New Year Everybody...can't wait for the 2005 season. We're optimistic and hungry down here in Bristol!

"Strong as a Bear, Quick as a Cat

Nobody wants to **** with that!!!

Marcum was sent on a blitz up the middle to the right hand side of the offense on that last play in OT, AW looney was covering the side the run went to with Bronson Brown and Colby Owens...Aaron was sent the other way.

As for head to head, the only reason you "stopped" Grundy in any way is with a flag and a muddy field...Grundy moved the ball all night against you on that field, you on the other hand didn't get anywhere near the endzone until OT when it was given to you.

There is no way Lockett deserves to be on the AP All State team at LB...no way...the only reason he is on there is your buddy Terry Smith...he has pull on the other side of the state and thats what it boils down to...don't even kid yourself and think that Lockett is even in the same league with Marcum...even your hometown paper calls Marcum "the most dominate defensive player in the area"...Smith can't push Mitchell and he's the only other player on that team besides Lockett that he could push...so Lockett gets the nod...pure political crap.

Lockett is not even in the top 10 in the state...give me a friggin break...total joke.