hardest high school stadium to play at in SWVA ?

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Guest BB_TWEEDER

I mean in all swva history?. Since im from Hurley I would have to say "THE CLIFF" was TUFF back in the glory days.

Gate City Hands down. Giles in a close second, with Mitchell Stadium third, Powell Valley fourth, and fifth spot, a toss up between a lot of teams.

Thanks Big D, just tried to make a little noise that night and support SWVA cool.gif

The only thing I dreaded about going to Hurley to play "back in the day" was the drive over there and the ignorant redneck fans that had to throw stuff at the players and coaches and cuss you when you beat Hurley...it was worse if the game was close...back then you could expect to have to have a cop to get you out of there...but the cops wouldn't even go to Hurley...lol.

Not saying "all" people from Hurley are like that, but there were a few that gave the place a bad name. I guess every place has them...just seemed like the worst was Hurley around here back at that time.

As far as the Cliff itself goes as a field, I didn't think it was a bad place to play...pretty unique surrounding...kinda has a "Green Monster" type of flavor to it...I thought it was pretty cool. Back then Grundy's field was horrible to play on, it was mostly rock.

Now...I'd say Gate City is probably the hardest place to play...as a visiting team you are pretty much surrounded by hostile fans...lol...I remember watching the Richlands game this year and it was late in the game - Richlands was trying to put a drive together and the kids on the sideline were turning around and yelling at the crowd and waving trying to get them in to it...didn't realize they were ALL Gate City fans on that end...and unlike some other places around here, the Gate City fans really get in to their football and know the game and when to make some noise...for me I think that would be the hardest place to play.

Of course let's not forget Carroll County either...not only do you have to deal with the good upstanding citizens from Hillsville, but you have to hope for a fair shake from the zebras as well...neither is a fun thing....they don't lose many home games...just go look at the schedule section on the main part of this website for the last 3 years (2002,2003,2004) they are 13-2 at home...both losses being in 02 - Graham and Floyd Co...so CC has won it's last 12 straight at home to this point and not lost a home game since 2002...not to shabby.

Hands down its Legion Field. Take it from a player, when you can't hear anything but cow bells and ppl screaming their lungs out and you can't even hear anything the QB says in a high school stadium, then thats pretty tough.

Powell Valley is very loud as well.

[ QUOTE ]

Hands down its Legion Field. Take it from a player, when you can't hear anything but cow bells and ppl screaming their lungs out and you can't even hear anything the QB says in a high school stadium, then thats pretty tough.

[/ QUOTE ] They also use that train horn.

[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

Mitchell Stadium (versus Bluefield)

IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we have won 18 straight at Mitchell Stadium by an average of 27.94 points per game... grin.gif

And if the Miracle at Mitchell didn't say something then I don't know what can.

Ah come on Lance is that what this website is about.....just to tell everyone Hurley people are redneck. Seems to me the only thing you have to talk about is bashing Hurley. Im sorry son but in the 80's and early 90's grundy hardly ever beat hurley in football. You take Theo and Sephan off that team waht do you have; Marcum and thats it. then where does grundy finish maybe 5-5. If it wasnt for hurley Grundy wouldnt have a team either. They try to influence the kids and tell them they have better opportunity for college by playing at grundy. Pleas tell me how? Where has anyone from Grundy went? The only one was LUke and it was because of his name in wrestling. Even this year a Grundy coach has approached a hurley player and tried to get them to come over next year. So you better be thankful hurley is your neighbor so you can reach the playoffs. Oh I guess Grundy dont have any rednecks huh?

[ QUOTE ]

Ah come on Lance is that what this website is about.....just to tell everyone Hurley people are redneck. Seems to me the only thing you have to talk about is bashing Hurley. Im sorry son but in the 80's and early 90's grundy hardly ever beat hurley in football. You take Theo and Sephan off that team waht do you have; Marcum and thats it. then where does grundy finish maybe 5-5. If it wasnt for hurley Grundy wouldnt have a team either. They try to influence the kids and tell them they have better opportunity for college by playing at grundy. Pleas tell me how? Where has anyone from Grundy went? The only one was LUke and it was because of his name in wrestling. Even this year a Grundy coach has approached a hurley player and tried to get them to come over next year. So you better be thankful hurley is your neighbor so you can reach the playoffs. Oh I guess Grundy dont have any rednecks huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to go back and read what I wrote again...either you didn't read what I said correctly or you are feeling guilty...lol.

As for Stephan and Theo, great kids, I wouldn't say anything bad about either so I will let that comment go.

Also...

[ QUOTE ]

Im sorry son but in the 80's and early 90's grundy hardly ever beat hurley in football.

[/ QUOTE ]

From 1980-1991 I don't think Hurley won more than 3 games against Grundy...I can look it up though if you really want to know...I'm working on a schedule and score archive for the website for next year.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

Mitchell Stadium (versus Bluefield)

IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we have won 18 straight at Mitchell Stadium by an average of 27.94 points per game... grin.gif

And if the Miracle at Mitchell didn't say something then I don't know what can.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough*

Now, I'm going to make my way out of the saloon with my back to the door. It is certainly safest this way. tongue.gif

i always heard that big creek was a hard place to play at back in the day my grandpa told me of a time everybody with a virginia tag got there tires slashed after a rough game between richlands and the owls

[ QUOTE ]

I know Hurley won in 1986 and 1991 for sure.

1991 the score was 21-6 in favor of hurley at nelson memorial field. The other years im not for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they won in 84 also, but not positive about that...they didn't even play each other a few years in that time period...I know they won in 86 because grundy went 0-10 that year...87 i think Grundy ended up 5-5 and I think they were 5-5 in 85 also.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

I never intended on this post to have ppl argue about schools fans been redneck. yes Hurley has some redneck fans, but screamig and letting your opionin be heard makes it more interesting. What about when Logan Shortridge was hurt and ppl from his own school was saying hurt him worse the next time a couple of years ago. Then Twin valley should be brought up in this post, but no one should be getting into it over other schools fans. What about at lane stadium where you have the student section or in all of college football. Thats just some people of a community. I dont think Lance meant anything by it. So please stick to the subject.

you need to stick to the subject yourself.nobody brought up twin valley 2 years ago. And yes he was dogging hurley and their fans. He said the only thing that was tough about playing at hurley was their rednck fans.