BEST IN THE WEST 2A 2017

jarhead24219

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Would be a major shock if Appo didn't 3-peat.

I talked to some of there folks at Salem during the State finals game...I think he said they were losing 21 Seniors and they didn't seem to high on the upcoming season.

22 minutes ago, Old_Rebel said:

I talked to some of there folks at Salem during the State finals game...I think he said they were losing 21 Seniors and they didn't seem to high on the upcoming season.

They've got a couple of stud returners, but their own fans over on Preps have said for the past two years that this year would be a step back. That said, they are still the favorites until proven otherwise.

12 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

They've got a couple of stud returners, but their own fans over on Preps have said for the past two years that this year would be a step back. That said, they are still the favorites until proven otherwise.

I agree

43 minutes ago, Old_Rebel said:

Their junior class is even deeper.  I think the step back comes after this upcoming season.  

Its all about the line play,UNION will have to find some studs to battle in the trenches, same with APPO,.RICHLANDS says they will be good on "D" and I have no doubts they will. UNION will have all the skill players back along with JEB STIDHAM on "D". We can look forward to another classic at BULLET PARK on Sept.1 with Richlands .

And answering the question who is best its not gonna matter go ahead and give Appomattox the trophy.  I know they lost a lot but the guys who are back are just better than anything we can throw at them but I hope I'm wrong.  I see union and Richland's taking a step back but maybe graham can get em I have no idea how much they lost except for Cousin.

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

And answering the question who is best its not gonna matter go ahead and give Appomattox the trophy.  I know they lost a lot but the guys who are back are just better than anything we can throw at them but I hope I'm wrong.  I see union and Richland's taking a step back but maybe graham can get em I have no idea how much they lost except for Cousin.

Union is gonna be very good i think they have alot returning...the blues and Graham will be good also...i think any of the top 4 teams out if the west can win it all...not sure bout the east...

4 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Hadn't been on here lately have you moved Ryan I know you wouldn't miss that game unless you had to.

I don't guess I've made it very well known, but I'll be the color analyst for Blacksburg Football on ESPNBlacksburg this season. 

Gonna be odd coming back to Richlands on 9/15 and calling the game for the visiting team. :/ 

Either way, I'm excited for the opportunity. 

Off subject, but in todays budget crunches(APPALACHIA ELEMENTRY closing)Iwas just wondering from those in the know , if JI BURTON was thinking about closing its doors due to the city having money issues of their own.and if they close where would most of the kids want to attend,CENTRAL WISE or UNION??I have even heard rumors of closing the COEBURN HS, and SAINT PAUL elementary due to low numbers and have them attend other schools(most go to Russell county with it being closer to go to CASTLEWOOD than drive to EASTSIDE).I have heard that the schools in NORTON takes about 60% of the BUDGET and that's the reason they are having a hard time

5 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Off subject, but in todays budget crunches(APPALACHIA ELEMENTRY closing)Iwas just wondering from those in the know , if JI BURTON was thinking about closing its doors due to the city having money issues of their own.and if they close where would most of the kids want to attend,CENTRAL WISE or UNION??I have even heard rumors of closing the COEBURN HS, and SAINT PAUL elementary due to low numbers and have them attend other schools(most go to Russell county with it being closer to go to CASTLEWOOD than drive to EASTSIDE).I have heard that the schools in NORTON takes about 60% of the BUDGET and that's the reason they are having a hard time

What you hear may or may not be correct, but there is more legal legwork than you could possibly imagine to consolidate school districts in Virginia, especially across city/county lines.

My best guess is that eventually (in the next 3-5 years) Burton and Eastside will fold and those kids will be at Union & Central, with Eastside being kept as a middle school. Wise Co should have went with the 2 school model to start with. 

12 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

What you hear may or may not be correct, but there is more legal legwork than you could possibly imagine to consolidate school districts in Virginia, especially across city/county lines.

Wise County has pushed for Norton to join the school district for some time.  One of the hold ups I believe is Norton would have to drop its independent city status I believe if they were to not offer a school. 

AES closing has been in the works a LONG time. I knew it was closing as early as 2011. A million dollars for a new gym was a small price to pay to get another $59 million for two high schools and renovations to a 3rd. Norton was offered everything they asked for in an attempt to get them to consolidate with Wise CO except for one thing. Norton demanded that the school be located inside of Norton City limits. Wise Co would not agree to this, so Norton walked away along with $30 million in savings due to a 15 year lock in the Local Composite Index.

Norton could have maintained its city status as well. That was researched and hashed out. There were articles in the Coalfieldprogress about the AG's opinion on those discussions.

St. Paul Elementary may never close since the cost of keeping the school open is basically equal to the amount of funding that would be lost when those kids leave Wise Co and go a few miles up the road to Russell Co.

J.I. Burton's days are numbered because Norton isn't growing and the cost of education continues to climb. At some point they will simply not be able to afford to fund their schools. As for Eastside...who knows? I would say the odds are pretty even as to whether they remain open or close.

I do believe that a vast majority of J.I. Burton's athletes will come to Union in the event of a consolidation/closure. Not entirely sure if a majority of the student body as a whole will attend Union. It could be a 50/50 split between Union and Central. It has been made abundantly clear via social media posts the last several years that many of Burton's kids are not welcome at Central. I also think it is clear that Union will welcome any and all of Burton's students.

Another option that was proposed to Norton 6-7 years ago was for Burton's students to consolidate with Coeburn and St. Paul. This would have given Wise Co/Norton 3 high schools of very equal enrollment. That option was rejected by Norton officials for the same reason as the overall consolidation. The school wouldn't have been in Norton.

6 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Wise County has pushed for Norton to join the school district for some time.  One of the hold ups I believe is Norton would have to drop its independent city status I believe if they were to not offer a school. 

They wouldn't have to, but it would be easier to...

I spoke with a Richlands fan yesterday at my office, he had come by to present a letter of appreciation from SENATOR WARNERS office for national police week.We spoke about football and how things could have been the last two years at the AA state games and how Richlands and UNION games always come down to the last second. I expect UNION,RICHLANDS,GILES,GRAHAM in any order, and APPOMATTOX,DAN RIVER,BUCKINGHAM, and STEWARTS DRAFT(EAST OR WEST?).GOOCLAND ,CLARKE,and does POQUOSON drop to AA this year?

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

I spoke with a Richlands fan yesterday at my office, he had come by to present a letter of appreciation from SENATOR WARNERS office for national police week.We spoke about football and how things could have been the last two years at the AA state games and how Richlands and UNION games always come down to the last second. I expect UNION,RICHLANDS,GILES,GRAHAM in any order, and APPOMATTOX,DAN RIVER,BUCKINGHAM, and STEWARTS DRAFT(EAST OR WEST?).GOOCLAND ,CLARKE,and does POQUOSON drop to AA this year?

I know who you talked to. ;) 

19 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I know who you talked to. ;) 

seemed like a good guy, football nut like the rest of us....kinda got me pumped up, I invited him to stand with me at BULLET PARK on RICLANDS side near end zone score board end. Kinda wish WARNER WOULD RUN FOR BIG OFFICE.RICHLANDS is a tough game every year, but there no way I would ever replace them on the UNION schedual....better than any playoff game I have ever seen,and I have seen all of PV state runs and UNIONS P[LAY OFF GAMES

POQUOSON has like 1000 kids right?,at least that's the numbers VHSL lists,thats like 400 more kids than UNION and over 500 more than other AA schools,yep its fair , THEY ARE SOFT OUT THERE.tHEY SHOULD LET Abington go to AA TOO.They have to keep the eastern shore happy--