Hey, hey, hey...goodbye!!!

GMan

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anyone on this board now did I? By the way are you a Weir Red Riders fan? Because the last time I checked football is played for four quarters, and at the end of four quarters WVU was on top of Georgia and can claim the victory. They crushed us in the second half? Outscoring someone 14-7 isn't considered getting crushed to me. Why don't you chew on that for a while?

Also you are wrong about WVU not trying to keep the Big East in tact. Read this link: http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/0606/1564113.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I Didn't say they didn't try to keep the Big East in tact. I said it they, along with the other Big East schools could've prevented VT and BC from leaving, but they didn't... Remember the famous words of Dr. Charles Stegar; "If the ACC called today we would not accept"? That statement came during the meeting when VT offered to sign a pact with the other 6 football playing schools to remain together in the Big East and let Miami bolt. It was conditional that ALL 7 schools sign... otherwise if Tech turned down the ACC offer it would just go to one of the other Big East schools.

I agree that Marcus was a thug, but I honestly think that Beamer is making a conserted effort to lose the "Thug U" image that has been VaTech football for the past few years (with 2004 the exception).

Guest JJBrickface

BigD can you provide an article or some kind of proof of that deal? To my knowledge I don't remember it. I'm not saying it didn't happen but if you would have a link or something then I would appreciate it.

You don't remember it because you probably never heard about it. VT was made out to be the villian and that's all the media was going to report. Miami is the one who secretly conspired to join the ACC and take Syracuse and Boston College with them... They absolutely didn't want to take the only team in the nation who had a winning record against them... Yet they never got any blame. It was all deflected to VT and mostly by WVU fans. The other schools didn't really seem to care either way. Below is a quote from President Steger and a link to the full article. I'll see what else I can dig up.

[ QUOTE ]

Early on, I proposed to other members of the Big East that we sign a mutual non-departure agreement where none of us would leave the conference. That proposal was not accepted by key players in the process. It was apparent to me at that point that schools would leave the Big East Conference. We became a participant in the lawsuit to protect the university and her many interests.

And yes, as reported in the papers on June 8th, I did say on a conference call with 31 participants including 10 reporters that "if we received an offer today, we would not accept it." The context of that discussion is now lost, but at the time we truly thought that would be the appropriate course of action.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/story.php?relyear=2003&itemno=214

[ QUOTE ]

You don't remember it because you probably never heard about it. VT was made out to be the villian and that's all the media was going to report. Miami is the one who secretly conspired to join the ACC and take Syracuse and Boston College with them... They absolutely didn't want to take the only team in the nation who had a winning record against them... Yet they never got any blame. It was all deflected to VT and mostly by WVU fans. The other schools didn't really seem to care either way. Below is a quote from President Steger and a link to the full article. I'll see what else I can dig up.

[ QUOTE ]

Early on, I proposed to other members of the Big East that we sign a mutual non-departure agreement where none of us would leave the conference. That proposal was not accepted by key players in the process. It was apparent to me at that point that schools would leave the Big East Conference. We became a participant in the lawsuit to protect the university and her many interests.

And yes, as reported in the papers on June 8th, I did say on a conference call with 31 participants including 10 reporters that "if we received an offer today, we would not accept it." The context of that discussion is now lost, but at the time we truly thought that would be the appropriate course of action.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/story.php?relyear=2003&itemno=214

[/ QUOTE ]

BigD is correct. Jim Weaver made the same statement to the Big East AD's in 2003 at Ponte Vedra, FL. There were a couple of print references to it. But any WVU fans that want verification can call up Ed Pastilong. He was there, and he knows that WVU wasn't willing to commit to a Big East that didn't include Miami.

Here's an account of VT AD Jim Weaver making the same proposal to BC and Syracuse.

[ QUOTE ]

Jerry Izenberg of The Star-Ledger in New Jersey clarifies the VT proposal for a mutual non-departure agreement among all Big East schools not named Miami. Money quote:

There are some who would tar Miami and Virginia Tech, which also defected to the ACC, with the same brush. But they don't know about a twice-repeated challenge from Jim Weaver, the Tech AD, to his BC and Syracuse counterparts behind closed doors in Florida when those Big East meetings were getting hot enough to melt a glacier.

It came when Crouthamel had fired back at Weaver, "You know if we don't go, then you will." Weaver challenged him and DeFilippo with:

"Let's get that straight now. I'll sign a paper right here and now that Tech will stay in the league if Syracuse and Boston College sign that they will do the same."

They didn't sign.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guest JJBrickface

By researching this more I see that Boston College and Syracuse were the two biggest problems. At that time the ACC had interest in both schools, when the proposal from Steger came up in Florida, those two schools were the first to deny it. So why would WVU, Rutgers, Pitt or any other school sign it if those two wouldn't?

It wouldn't have made sense for WVU to sign unless all the other schools agreed to do the same... but the point is, and I wasn't there obviously, but it's my understanding that VT was the only one willing to sign the paper... none of the others were willing to do it even if all the rest did. That's because they knew if they got an offer from another conference they would do what Tech did and accept it.

Virginia Tech never did anything underhanded or sneaky like Miami. They said from the very beginning "Our preference is to keep the Big East in tact, but if ACC expansion is inevitable we want to be considered".

Miami, and apparently SU and BC had secret discussions with the ACC for a couple years before Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese blew the lid off by telling the press the ACC was trying to steal his teams. Tranghese by the way is on record as saying VT was upfront and honest with him and the rest of the league from the start.

I don't blame WVU fans for being mad... but you're mad at the wrong people. I was on your side. I said in the very beginning that VT, UM and WVU made the most sense for the ACC. I really didn't care for the other Big East teams because they treated VT like a red headed stepchild. WVU was different. VT fans had a bond with them. You can go to www.techsideline.com and search messages from the time period this all took place and see that most, if not all VT fans wanted WVU to be OK, and like me, they didn't give a darn about the other schools.

Then the whirlwind came and VT landed in the conference they had been trying in vain to get into for 50 years, and the next thing I know WVU fans are coming on every message board that even mentions college football and making threats to Virginia Tech fans and their families. This wasn't just the usual smack talk... they were making threats of violence against people who had absolutely nothing to do with the decisions that were made.

Now, over two years later, you can't mention Virginia Tech on a message board without being insulted by a WVU fan. I'm not just talking about this board, or one of the Virginia Tech boards, but ANY college football board in the country. Just mention Virginia Tech and a WVU troll will pop in with some comment about Marcus Vick or whatever. If you don't believe me just go to the board of USC or some school on the other side of the country and ask the question "What do you think about Virginia Tech?" within hours, maybe even minutes a WVU fan will post a negative response.

It's also somewhat humorous that the same WVU fans who play the "traitor" card have no memory at all of the events of 1994. That was when the four current (at that time) Big East football members were going to pressure the conference to admit the four "football only" schools for all sports. If Tech, Temple, Rutgers, and WVU weren't admitted for all sports, the other four schools would threaten to pull out of the Big East and form an all-sports conference based on the football membership. When the dynamic changed, and only WVU and Rutgers were offered full membership, those loyal Mountaineers certainly didn't think twice about dumping Tech. The league then jumped a few notches in hypocrisy by admitting Notre Dame for all sports except football the very next year.

The Big East's overall treatment of Temple speaks for itself.

FWIW, I wish WVU all the success in the world. In fact, I still pull for the Mountaineers when they aren't playing Tech and I'm glad to see them making the most of their current situation. For that matter, I'm also happy to see the Big East essentially land on its feet after the whole expansion fiasco.

But while it's true that Virginia Tech probably benefited from BE membership more than any other school in that league's history, it's also accurate to note that the BE didn't do Tech any favors beyond admitting the Hokies to the initial setup of the BE Football Conference.

While I'm thinking about it, IMO it is asinine for fans of any other school to take pleasure in the thought that WVU would lose its basketball coach. However, it is completely appropriate to mock N.C. State, which appears to be the most inept athletic department in the NCAA currently.

It's also worth noting that when Tech was finally admitted for all sports they had to pay millions for membership. They were paying money to the Big East yearly instead of collecting their share of the revenue. When they joined the ACC I think there was an initial fee but they got a full share of the pie the very first year.

Guest JJBrickface

The thing is after all the dust settled, both the ACC and the Big East seem to be in good shape.

[ QUOTE ]

The thing is after all the dust settled, both the ACC and the Big East seem to be in good shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

the big east is in good shape... to lose that bcs bid

One BCS Bowl win isn't going to do it. They've been trying to take the Big East bid for years. That's why the so called "Big East Rule" is in place. I don't remember the particulars of it but the conference must maintain a certain level in the polls... If they don't the bid is gone.

Without the two teams that did the most to keep the bid, Miami and Virginia Tech, and without the draw of playing against Miami every year, plus a now lesser TV contract and bowl reshuffling... The Big East will not be able to maintain a high level of recruiting. If you can't recruit you can't compete with leagues that can. I hate to say it but the Big East is essentially becoming Conference USA.

Guest JJBrickface

They have been talking about making more BCS teams I seriously doubt they will take away the Big East's bid. WVU, Louisville, and Pitt have particularly had good recruiting classes. South Florida is a rising program with good facilities in a recruting hot bed. Syracuse has the history to be in good shape. Rutgers is improving every year. Connecticut can be a solid team.

Also when BigD talked about keeping a certain level in the polls to keep the BCS, that is the final BCS standings before the bowl games are played that he was talking about. Tranghese, the BE's commish, did a brilliant thing right before the new teams entered the BE in football ('Ville, USF, and Cincy) by allowing Louisville's BCS ranking in their last year of Conf. USA to be counted as the Big East's ranking for that particular year (when it was a big mess and Pitt went to the Fiesta). That year, Louisville went to the Liberty Bowl against Boise St. and the Cardinals were ranked between 8-10 in the final BCS. So although they were in Conf. USA, their ranking counted towards the average of the Big East. Don't ask me how it happened, but that's the way it worked out. This past year, obviously, WVU's ranking was the highest, which was 11. What's funny is the ACC did this whole expansion thing for the conf. championship game, and it backfired on them. Florida St. somehow beat Tech, and instead of getting Tech's top 10 BCS ranking to go into their average, they get Florida St.'s which I believe was somewhere between 20 and 25 (22 I think). Anyway, my whole point is the Big East's BCS ranking is in fact in very good shape, the WVU's win over UGA only helped to solidify it. With WVU expected to be ranked in the top 10, possibly the top 5, and Louisville in the top 15, the BE may be top-heavy, but as far as the security of their BCS ranking is concerned, there is nothing to worry about.

I love how all the pro-ACC and pro-VT people on here talk about the whole expansion deal like they were in the war room during the whole process; it's such a joke. I agree there was quite a bit of friction between WVU and VT in the past few years, and the break from each one's schedule will definitely be a good thing. I'd love to see the rivalry renewed way down the line - as in the next 8-10 years - but even that is likely not to happen, especially with WVU being locked into the idiotic Marshall series by the governor. But as much as people will mock and rip WVU's schedule this year, the next few years they have the likes of Michigan State, Auburn, Florida St., and Mississippi St. (who they play away this year as well) on the schedule. They just got very unlucky in this year's schedule because it's the last year of the "hangover" from the expansion. Their OOC schedule for this upcoming year was locked up 3-4 years ago when they still thought Tech, Miami, BC would be in the BE. You could argue, well, why not pick up a very good BCS opponent with the 12th game added? Well, thank the governor or WV for that one.

[ QUOTE ]

I love how all the pro-ACC and pro-VT people on here talk about the whole expansion deal like they were in the war room during the whole process; it's such a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure I stated I wasn't there and was only explaining things the way I understood them, which happens to be from quotes by people who were there...

Guest JJBrickface

GMAN1986 is jealous, pure and simple. Any team that goes 11-1 and wins a BCS Bowl does not suck.