stubbycurrence

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

and also beating them when they were the top ranked team in WVa,

[/ QUOTE ]

You've beaten Bluefield before, BUT never in a season when they were the top ranked team in WV. Please don't make things up, stick to the facts. In fact, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Richlands ever beating a Bluefield team that finished with a winning record.

Recent scores of Bluefield/Richlands games I know:

1998: Richlands 34, Bluefield (4-6) 6

1999: Bluefield (12-2) 51, Richlands 7

2000: Bluefield (4-6) 24, Richlands 21

2001: Richlands 49, Bluefield (2-8) 6

2002: Bluefield (9-5) 17, Richlands 14

[ QUOTE ]

excuse me, i was mistaken, i thought that 97 game was a richlands win, my bad, but im sick of hearing that we are scared of playing yall its not up to us the fans, its up to the ADs

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we're going to keep hearing it until the two teams play... and then we're either going to hear about the greatness of Bluefield, or their all-time record against Richlands, depending on the outcome.

[ QUOTE ]

excuse me, i was mistaken, i thought that 97 game was a richlands win, my bad, but im sick of hearing that we are scared of playing yall its not up to us the fans, its up to the ADs

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm sick of hearing you don't want to play us b/c of what happened in the 2002 game. The past is the past, both teams have been on the bad end of some questionable officiating in the past while on the road. Hell, play the freakin' games at Tazewell and Princeton. The fact is that two of the better programs in this region should be facing off against one another every year they possibly can. It would only help both teams greatly down the road come playoff time.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we're going to keep hearing it until the two teams play... and then we're either going to hear about the greatness of Bluefield, or their all-time record against Richlands, depending on the outcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we're going to have to hear about the greatness of Richlands until that day comes as well. Don't pretend Bluefield folks are the only ones that tout the success of their program. We're dang proud of our program and do boast about it, but definitely no more than the Richlands people boast about their own program. Those in glass houses...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And we're going to have to hear about the greatness of Richlands until that day comes as well. Don't pretend Bluefield folks are the only ones that tout the success of their program. We're dang proud of our program and do boast about it, but definitely no more than the Richlands people boast about their own program. Those in glass houses...

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not the ones playing Internet chicken with you. I wanted Richlands to play Bluefield until that crap started but reading over and over about how Richlands must be scared to play the mighty Beavers is sickening. Not one person on this board has any say whatsoever in who plays who.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not the ones playing Internet chicken with you. I wanted Richlands to play Bluefield until that crap started but reading over and over about how Richlands must be scared to play the mighty Beavers is sickening. Not one person on this board has any say whatsoever in who plays who.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm tried of reading how Richlands is superior because they hail from mighty Southwestern Virginia. It goes both ways and some Richlands fan have ran their mouths are much as some Bluefield fans. It sickening to me when someone tries to chastise another group for doing the same thing that members of their own group are guilty of doing. Again I say, those in glass houses...

Same old Bluefield crap!!!!!!!I'll admit Bluefield has a great West Virginia program. Now picture this. How many of those "STATE TITLES" would Bluefield win if they were in Virginia. Maybe one or two. Bluefield would certainly not be in the state finals for numerous consecutive years. That is not a shot, that is a straight up fact. At this point I think it would be in Richlands best interest in scheduling a team from the Roanoke area. Not Bluefield, and not because we are dodging a good team or officiating. It's because that's who we end up playing in the VIRGINA playoffs. To be the best you have to beat the best! Bring on Salem, Amherst, Liberty, ...etc...

"How many of those "STATE TITLES" would Bluefield win if they were in Virginia."

My guess is they'd have at least 8.

While agreeing with you about earning the title game opportunity comment, because there's a lot less teams, 2nd place is 2nd place. As for the titles themselves,, any 1 of bluefield's title teams would have been more than competitive in va in those seasons, as with any title team, there's something special about the group of players that actually earn the title, and '84, '97 and '04 all had exceptional teams.

Prior to that, chmara's '75 team was loaded and gainer could have had titles anywhere he coached.

In fact as the inside story told to me by my uncle goes, gainer moved on from bluefield because he felt there was nothing else he could do and people in bluefield started to complain when bluefield's games weren't all 40 point margins of victory, they had become spoiled. coach gainer prefered building a program, and prefered challenges.

From bluefield he went to patrick henry in roanoke where people there said he couldn't win at patrick henry, their program was among the lowest in va in their classification, and they had quite a few 0 - 10 seasons when he started coaching.

Their 1st season under gainer they were around 3 - 7, 2nd season they made the playoffs, 3rd season they earned the state title. off topic but a good story.

Anyhow, perhaps a lot of people are aruging over nothing, noone has confirmed that bluefield and richlands won't start a series in '07, perhaps they actually will.

I have a question and this is not just to stir up trouble although some people might take it the wrong way but, why does Bluefield have trouble year in and year out getting a 10th game, one year they had to play Graham twice, then the series against Grundy seemed to come at the last minute, why is it that Bluefield can't get 10 games?

In a way look at it as a compliment. Your track record of a winning program has alot to do with it. The overall team speed factor comes in to play. Most teams on this end of the state may have one or two at the most who can fly. But from top to bottom no one matches the team speed of Bluefield. Graham comes close as anyone. This is also the reason Powell Valley has been good. The same goes for J.I. Burton. Yet none reach the level of the Beavers. Some teams like to line up and knock you down, that can take care of some teams speed factor. ( the idea they do not like being hit ) But once again Bluefield brings that hit me in the mouth attitude and the speed factor. All around their program is strong from top to bottom. Coach Simon has carried on the the tradition that he was taught from some of the best.( Chmara, Carlock, Colobro )

bluefield is fast for certain, even more than that conferences in wv and district schedules make it harder for quality teams to schedule games.

aa in southern wv really only has a few teams that can compete with bluefield and they're scheduled, and those that can't don't care to schedule bluefield and vise versa. They used to have some long time common aaa teams on their schedule that could be counted on, such as greenbrier east, and even beckley or pc from va. were on and off their schedule commonly. But anymore the aaa teams in wv aside from princeton aren't going to schedule bluefield because of already being in a hard conference with only 1 or 2 non conference games. On the va. side, bluefield's quality competiion for lots of teams, but sort of the odd team out being a wv school.