Best coaches you ever played for....

Lance

I was just talking about this with a couple of friends the other day and some interesting names showed up on the list...I guess everyone played football for different coaches at different levels along the way...looking back who were your favorites?

mine in no particular order:

Bob Wyatt

Jack Compton

Greg Rowe

John Curia

Kenny Perkins

Jake Mullins

Danny Church

Larry Ratliff

George Crigger

Jim Wayne Childress

[ QUOTE ]

I didnt play for either in football but...Stevie Mitchem, Lou Peery

[/ QUOTE ]

Coach mitchem was one of the best coaches i've ever had!

Coach Hart was a phenomenal coach as well.....until Tazewell turned on him, then i think he just gave up

Coach Mance, had Vaught my sophmore year and he didnt motivate us the way Mance did. Palmer was a good motivator too and Weiss has forgotten more football than most people around here know. As far as the statement about Rick Blevins for nonfootball I gotta say I wrestled for 4 years and Coach Barber was the best coach I ever wrestled for, he worked us hard and motivated us to. Plus he was just fun to be around.

[ QUOTE ]

Weiss has forgotten more football than most people around here know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this statment 100%. He was my DE/TE coach for four years and the man knows the game of football...

[ QUOTE ]

What about George Brown?

[/ QUOTE ]

GB did a great job with the juggernaut that was RHS golf back in my day. But he abandoned us before we could reach our full potential.

Although I guess I should also be grateful for the opportunity to be guided by the immortal Tim "Chappie" Rasnick.

Guest BlueBlue

Well it may come as a shock but Wayne Hall was a good coach.Sure he didnt win a state title like some of these coachs but he made better people out of those who worked hard for him and gave it there all.Sometimes he might say things that steps on peoples toes but who doesnt.He was a good example of hard work he gave us the courage to do things people said wasnt going to happen for example the 05 Hurley Rebels football team.He told us that it was going to take hard work,sweat,blood,and time but if we gave it our all then we could be a surprise and it was one of the best teams from hurley.Sure noone went to a big school to continue there football careers but they had heart and if a team has that then noone can take that for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought my midget league coach coach taylor was a really good coach for athe jaycees, and chmara was really good, but in my opinion the best was coach hamer at fairview because he thought outside the box and was always thinking of ways to get the most out of every situation, or how to surprise another team. He was at central from a ways back when I was in 7th and 8th grade and coached at fairview for the last 2 years of the school.

I recall a good friend of mine who played for him at central telling me how late in the game they were behind at 1 of the beckly jr high schools and he told him go in their and lay down after the play like he was injured to stop the clock. I always liked coaches like that who would do everything possible with every second and every play to earn a victory. He was never 1 would would sit back and wait to see what game the other team brought, he was 1 who would make a gameplan to dictate the game to the other team and put them on the defensive throughout. Perhaps not the best at some of the fundamentals, but crafty and prepared with an agressive plan.

"Canit's a coward."

our 9th grade fairview team also had coach barnett as oc and he had a really good gameplan and used sideline to sideline and a lot of unorthodox plays and formations. In my opinion he's 1 of the best people that ever was oc at bluefield, although he was only there for a year here, another there, on and off. If I'm correct he was in charge of bluefield's o on the '97 title team.

Great coach. Not sure about fully in charge, but definatly a tools for success. He is the best with special teams. And remember 97' team resembled "Beamer Ball" with block and returns, fake punts....all Barnett

[ QUOTE ]

Great coach. Not sure about fully in charge, but definatly a tools for success. He is the best with special teams. And remember 97' team resembled "Beamer Ball" with block and returns, fake punts....all Barnett

[/ QUOTE ]

agree, that was 1 big thing about the bluefield '97 team, along with their exceptionally strong d, they always had exceptional field position to start with, short fields to work with and opposite for the other teams.

[ QUOTE ]

coach hamer...holy crap

he used to be my gym teacher when i was in 6th grade. Hell, that was 6 years ago though. He retired after my 6th grade year

[/ QUOTE ]

He was my PE teacher when I was in first grade...back in 1973...