Shots fired at Va Tech!...................

sandman

I think this is going to give VT a very big black eye. I believe most the president of VT and the police chief will both be forced to resign. The fact that they didn't lock down the campus after the 1st shooting baffles me. That might do them in.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fire people? They had no way to know that some random ass would walk in loaded to the teeth and start gunning people down in a classroom...the only way to prevent this type of attack, and i'm seriously shocked that he only took out 32 people if it went down like they are saying it went down...a building full of people with the doors chained shut and this guy with probably 200 rounds on him...only kills 32 is a miracle it wasn't more...only way to stop that is if the idiot brags to someone he is going to do it ahead of time or have armed guards everywhere you look to minimize the body count...i'm surprised that you have not seen this more often in Malls and sporting events...imagine what would happen if someone were to do something like that at a big game where you have stands full of people...do you think the 5 or 6 cops standing around holding up the fence on the sideline behind the cheerleaders could stop a gunman before he took out a serious amount of people?

People are going to want someone to blame...the gunman is now dead...there is no closure for the victims and the friends and family...no trial...just a loss of life...people will want someone to blame.

The shooting 2 hours earlier seemed to be a domestic incident at the time...how can you shut everything down based on just that? you can say better safe than sorry, but how often has something like this happened? never.

I just don't see it...even if they canceled classes today, if they don't catch the guy, what stops him from coming in tomorrow? Do you just shut Tech down until he's caught? Who's to say it won't happen again on the next day they have class? or tonight at a local mall?

ban guns...ok...you think it's hard to make something that will kill a lot of people? gas is easy to buy? we should ban anything that will explode then i guess?

point is...if someone gets it in their head that they are going to kill a lot of people at random, there is not a lot that anyone can do about it unless that person is dumb enough to brag about it before hand.

This is a sad thing that has happened...truth be told i bet the police saved some lives today...let's not blame them for not shutting down the campus just yet...i'm sure they will investigate it and learn from what happened...but for now let's just let it be.

Well, it's easy for the talking heads to go on TV with 20/20 hindsight but the reality is the VT police and administration did what they thought was right based on what they knew at the time.

That is the problem with a lot of people in the world today. THey want someone to blame. the cops and president did the right thing with the info that they had. I have been a RA and a RHD for a dorm and it was my nightmare that something like this would happen on my watch. So do not jump to fast to blame anyone but the shooter himself. you can not shut down a campus like VT in minutes. If this had happened at Bluefield then you could have. Just pray for everyone involved.

But you can blame people for these types of things,

this is somewhat recent and from va. read in particular the mid paragrah spaced

"Gun bill gets shot down by panel

HB 1572, which would have allowed handguns on college campuses, died in subcommittee.

By Greg Esposito

381-1675

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Del. Dave Nutter, R-Christiansburg, would not comment Monday because he was not part of the subcommittee that discussed the bill.

Most universities in Virginia require students and employees, other than police, to check their guns with police or campus security upon entering campus. The legislation was designed to prohibit public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit ... from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun."

The legislation allowed for exceptions for participants in athletic events, storage of guns in residence halls and military training programs.

Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit. Some gun owners questioned the university's authority, while the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police came out against the presence of guns on campus.

In June, Tech's governing board approved a violence prevention policy reiterating its ban on students or employees carrying guns and prohibiting visitors from bringing them into campus facilities"

These people denied u.s. citizens thier right to bear arms and defend themselves, instead they implemented a policy that left them defenless and at the will of a cowardly non law abiding citzen and left them to be lined up against a wall and shot execution style.

This situation is going to start a big war about gun control, and their is only 1 right answer about it, people should be armed and able to defend themselves and expect the unexpected at all times.

I've written a post or 2 about that on here myself before. As of today, there's 32 more individuals who I'd bet would tell you they wish they had had a gun.

And the answer to this gun control debate would be to deny even more people the right to defend themselves?

Not directed at you personally lance, but your comment influenced my comments.

Read this paragrah 1 more time

"Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit. Some gun owners questioned the university's authority, while the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police came out against the presence of guns on campus."

.....guess they taught everyone a lesson about their 2nd admendment rights

Exactly buzzsaw, a madman is not going to be restricted by stupid gun laws.

If he or she is crazy enough, the laws will be almost invisible.

I think we should have the right to protect ourselves against these type of incidents.

"point is...if someone gets it in their head that they are going to kill a lot of people at random, there is not a lot that anyone can do about it unless that person is dumb enough to brag about it before hand."

and again nothing personal towards you lance, but fact is that is simply not the case for a law abiding person with a conceal carry permitt, who's carrying a gun, or carrying open, which is legal in wv and va.

Myself I'm "not" going to be someone's target. I might get out shot, or I might shoot the bad guy, which I'd prefer to tink would be the case, but I won't be lined up against a wall, defenseless, and shot by some coward.

they never manage to comprehend the simple fact that murders, among all criminals the most, do not abide by "any" law. There's not any amount of gun laws that could possibly be passed that would prevent 1 determined criminal from having a gun.

[ QUOTE ]

they never manage to comprehend the simple fact that murders, among all criminals the most, do not abide by "any" law. There's not any amount of gun laws that could possibly be passed that would prevent 1 determined criminal from having a gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, guns don't kill people...people kill people

[ QUOTE ]

"point is...if someone gets it in their head that they are going to kill a lot of people at random, there is not a lot that anyone can do about it unless that person is dumb enough to brag about it before hand."

and again nothing personal towards you lance, but fact is that is simply not the case for a law abiding person with a conceal carry permitt, who's carrying a gun, or carrying open, which is legal in wv and va.

Myself I'm "not" going to be someone's target. I might get out shot, or I might shoot the bad guy, which I'd prefer to tink would be the case, but I won't be lined up against a wall, defenseless, and shot by some coward.

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing taken...you are taking what i said completly out of context...the fact is that if someone wants to do random killings there is nothing you can do to stop it...you might limit it, but you would not shoot someone first...that person would have some window of opportunity to gun down as many people as possible until you or someone else with a gun stops him...that's the point...gun control or not...the person still has the upper hand in the matter if you don't know before hand the attack is going to occur...and depending on how it is carried out would determine the effectiveness of it...just because you have a gun or a whole classroom of people has a gun doesn't mean a suicidal idiot won't walk in and open fire...obviously this person who seems to have taken his own life, by all account on the scene showed now emotion or fear, was not afraid to die.

An armed society has no influence on someone like that.

"An armed society has no influence on someone like that."

Absolutley not, an unarmed society doesn't have any influence on that type of person. Whether that person is afraid of dying or not is irrelevant, the fact is they might very well shoot a few people but might very well be gunned down after a few, instead of 30.

Would you rather have a gun if you were locked in a building with that person or not, it's as simple as that.

There are numerous situations were guns in the hands of citizens ended situations such as this.

Most victims of murders in the u.s. were unarmed.

Just heard on FoxNews that the police were told the morning shooting at West AJ was described as being white with greasty black hair.

Big difference between that description and a chinese guy.

so the confusion may have been an error in that, or it could have been accurate.