Classic is set for Mitchell Stadium August 17...

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_160204139.html

Classic set for August

By TOM BONE

Bluefield Daily Telegrap

BLUEFIELD  The Pocahontas Coal Champions Classic is living up to its name.

The pre-season controlled scrimmage, set for Friday, Aug. 17 at Mitchell Stadium, will feature eight high school football teams including reigning state champions from Virginia and West Virginia.

Richlands, the Group AA champs in the Old Dominion, and Wayne, the Class AA title-holders in the Mountain State, will compete, according to Classic coordinator Rick Taylor.

Sure-fire audience draws from Four Seasons Country, in addition to Richlands, are Bluefield, Graham and Mount View. George Wythe from neighboring Wythe County, plus big-school teams from Martinsburg and Martinsville, Va., complete the field.

Taylor, the president of the sponsoring Pocahontas Coal Association, said, “It’ll be a lot of fun. It’s the best field we’ve ever had, and probably the best collection of successful high school programs that I can remember. ...

“They’re all good programs, good people, good coaches  a real good situation.â€Â

He said that all of the schools have been in the playoffs in recent years and a majority have been in state football championship games within the last 10 years.

The format of the Classic will match West Virginia teams against Virginia squads. Each team will play two quarters against one school, and then take a break and play two quarters against another opponent.

Action will start at 1 p.m. and will continue for approximately eight hours. The pairings will be announced within the next month, Taylor said.

The Classic organizers are aware of the timetable for turf installation at Mitchell Stadium, and is geared up to play there. Taylor said, “As far as an alternate site, we don’t even want to go there. ... We have every expectation to be playing there on Field Turf.â€Â

He said that the 2006 event, formerly known as the Grid-O-Rama, had “an excellent set of teams†and likely set an attendance record.

This year’s edition features some new teams, but Taylor said, “I think having different teams is good. It’s good to change teams to let our area see other talent from outside of Bluefield. We’ll always have Bluefield and Graham.â€Â

Taylor said, “We at the Pocahontas Coal Association are excited to bring top high school football talent to our area to compete in a preseason scrimmage, all in one great evening. We feel this will be a very beneficial event for the schools, coaches, student-athletes and fans.â€Â

He said, “People want to come here. And Mitchell Stadium is an excellent venue. It’s great that Bluefield has a facility to accommodate such a good event.â€Â

For the teams, he said, “We want to make it a good experience.†Players get a Pocahontas Coal Champions Classic T-shirt, and are given a box lunch between games. Taylor said, “We hope the teams leave here thinking good things about the Pocahontas Coal Classic and also about Bluefield.â€Â

He also noted that for most teams it will be their first controlled scrimmage of the season. “It’s probably their first chance to be able to hit some guys from an opposing team,†he said. The competitiveness of the 2006 sessions was evident.

Taylor said, “I had so many people complimenting me on the quality of the games  how close they were, how several came down to last play. It was really good competition, and a chance to scrimmage against another quality team.â€Â

All of the proceeds, after the expenses of putting on the Classic, go back to the participating schools, Taylor said. “Everything is for the schools,†he said.

Taylor said, “We’ve been working on this for several months. You just have to.†The working group includes the head coaches of Graham and Bluefield high schools, Doug Marrs and Fred Simon. “Both of them have had more to do with getting the teams than anything I did,†Taylor said.

The committee also includes BHS assistant coaches Bill Albert and Pete Sarver, a member of the Board of Directors of the City of Bluefield. Taylor is vice mayor of Bluefield, Va.

In addition, Taylor said, “We have so many volunteers who come out and give of their time to take up tickets, work in the concession stand and help in the press box.

“It’s really nice to be part of a community that works together in order to make this event a success.â€Â

 Contact Tom Bone at

tbone@bdtonline.com

Having this event on a friday instead of a Saturday seems to hinder alot of people from attending. It seems like they would have this on a Saturday in order to accomodate people who work during the week or live out of town. I think if they did they would see a significant amount of people attend on a Saturday compared to Friday.

[ QUOTE ]

i just think it's cool that Richlands and Wayne are going to play...nice job to whoever set that one up...I'd like to see that game myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't say that Richlands and Wayne are going to play each other...it says they are set to "compete" in the event. However, I do think they will match up against one another in one scrimmage and odds are Richlands will likely get Martinsburg in their other scrimmage.

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know why Tazewell doesn't play in the grid-a-rama anymore??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah back in the late 90's we would go up there and kick ass and the go on and not win a damn game the whole season!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah back in the late 90's we would go up there and kick ass and the go on and not win a damn game the whole season!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I never saw that..........

Tazewell has always done very well in the gridarama.....mainly bc they paired us against teams like Bland, Pocy, Big Creek...and teams like that.....not to mention Montcalm one year.....and we did beat Lee High once, back when they were good....haha

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bc it says quality high school teams lol jp

[ QUOTE ]

The only negative is that the event is once again on a Friday instead of a Saturday. I'd love to attend, but it's much harder to attend with it being on a Friday, especially living out-of-town...

[/ QUOTE ]

hey rules look at the bright side,you got a long time to come up with an excuse to call in that day.lol I think im gonna sell ideas.haha

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The only negative is that the event is once again on a Friday instead of a Saturday. I'd love to attend, but it's much harder to attend with it being on a Friday, especially living out-of-town...

[/ QUOTE ]

hey rules look at the bright side,you got a long time to come up with an excuse to call in that day.lol I think im gonna sell ideas.haha

[/ QUOTE ]

At that point in the summer our summer program will be over and I can take off whatever days I would like to. However, I just hate burning my PTO, but if I wanna come bad enough I'll do it...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i just think it's cool that Richlands and Wayne are going to play...nice job to whoever set that one up...I'd like to see that game myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't say that Richlands and Wayne are going to play each other...it says they are set to "compete" in the event. However, I do think they will match up against one another in one scrimmage and odds are Richlands will likely get Martinsburg in their other scrimmage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! That is awesome. AA State Champ Wayne and if anyone thinks Martinsburg, WV sounds familiar, it should. On 9-2-06 they beat the Rockbridge County Wildcats, 27-12, in Rockbridge County. Martinsburg, WV got beat by Parkersburg South in the AAA State Final.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! That is awesome. AA State Champ Wayne and if anyone thinks Martinsburg, WV sounds familiar, it should. On 9-2-06 they beat the Rockbridge County Wildcats, 27-12, in Rockbridge County. Martinsburg, WV got beat by Parkersburg South in the AAA State Final.

[/ QUOTE ]

Parkersburg...the BIG REDS...not Parkersburg South...they didn't even make the playoffs last season...

for clearing this up..

Parkersburg...the BIG REDS...not Parkersburg South...they didn't even make the playoffs last season...

Please don't ever confuse the Parkersburg Big Reds with Parkersburg South. That's like confussing Bluefield for Graham those are fighting words.

South beat Martinsburg in the AAA Championship in 2003 26-20 in the Mud Bowl.

[ QUOTE ]

Who do it look like Bluefield will be playing?

any guesses?

[/ QUOTE ]

The article says the event will have a West Virginia v. Virginia format, so that means Bluefield would scrimmage George Wythe and Martinsville since the other two Virginia teams are on the schedule. Personally, I'd like to see Beaver scrimmage Wayne and Martinsburg. Although, if I'm guessing I'd say Martinsburg will scrimmage early in the day since they have to travel nearly five hours one way.

id bet my last dime that it'll be richlands or Martinsvile either was gonna be some amazing games i heard from some of our coaches here at graham that its a likely chance graham will play martinsburg and possibly wayne

I'd say that if all the games are va vs wv then Bluefield will face George Wythe and Martinsville,Wayne will face Graham and Richlands,Martinsburg will get Martinsville and Graham likely leaving Mount View with Richlands and George Wythe. Martinsburg could get Richlands instead of Martinsville which would give Mount View Martinsville,but I'd have to say Martinsburg and Martinsville would probably be a definite matchup since they're the 2 biggest schools.

[ QUOTE ]

Hey ghs 84 here is a good one just tell the boss that you are having trouble seeing.......You can't see yourself working.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you right about that.lol.when the G-Men are on the field scrimmaging or playing my boss knows i wont be there.