Bluefield's head coach

FOOTBALLMAN

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The administration, the people with the best understanding of what's best for Bluefield High School, recommend that Webster be hired. As such, he should be hired as the new basketball coach. End of story. You aren't going to change my mind on this.

And I'm not saying that Havens will not do a good job at Bluefield. If he brings Gaither back as an assistant then I'll be very excited about the future of the program. However, it'll be sad that a man, Webster, who has given so many years to the program will no longer be there. It'll also be disappointing to see Willie Ellison leave b/c he has a good basketball mind and is still very young. He'll make an outstanding coach someday when his time comes.

And I have a story to tell later about how the hiring process of the Mercer County B.O.E., experience over everything else, screwed the best teacher I ever had out of a job and replaced him with an incompetent teacher.

[ QUOTE ]

And I have a story to tell later about how the hiring process of the Mercer County B.O.E., experience over everything else, screwed the best teacher I ever had out of a job and replaced him with an incompetent teacher.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not doubt that at all. Dr. Akers is about as slick as you can get. When you get "initiated" into her clan, then you are a member for life.

Princeton High School has a faculty that has been picked and chosen. No other school can honestly pick and choose who they want as a teacher, but when Mr. Dr. Akers got the principal job at PSHS his crew from Bluefield Middle has slowly, but surely, taken reigns at his new place. It is like a cult society.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Its amazing also that the akers "cult" are all getting administrative jobs.

A female teacher, Not sure her first name but last is philipeck, got a principal job without even having an administrative degree. she was a horrible teacher as well.

However, look at all the problems that occur at Princeton High. 2 bomb threats, they put up a guardshack, 2 athletes fornicating in the back of a car while another athlete taped. And yet bluefield is a bad school?

The akers cult has ruined a county and not to mention every school that steve akers has been at.

In fact, he screwed over me and hokie07. We were playing golf for a middle school team that hadn't won a match since who knows when. We finished 2nd to a Greenbrier east team with 9th graders when we competed in 8th. Well we had beat them numerous times, and were undefeated going into the championship at pipestem, but we couldn't play. we couldnt play cause we had to go to a show choir practice at Bluefield College. Oh yeah, the show choir teacher, one of his own, Lori Comer.

id like to hear your story Rules.

When I was in 4th and 5th grade I had a wonder math teacher, whom not only motivated those that enjoyed math, but also those that didn't. The students that were struggling with 4th and 5th grade math he tutored them and got them caught to where they should be. Those of us that were good at math he taught pre-algebra, algebra, and basic high school geometry. He was a genuine person who really cared for his students and a brilliant teacher. He knew how to get the most out of his students and help those struggling to understand what before had been unattainable knowledge. That teacher is the reason I excelled at my math classes when I entered junior high and high school

However, as we entered the 6th grade he was replaced with a complete moron that was given the job because he had more tenure teaching in Mercer County, 15 years. Whereas, the previous teacher also had 15 years of experiences, but only two in Mercer County. Instead of the new teacher continuing to challenge us with higher levels of math he “dumbed†the class down with math that we learned two years prior in 4th grade under the previous teacher. Although, later we learned he couldn’t have continued to teach us algebra and geometry like the previous teacher because he didn’t have knowledge of it. The new teacher had formerly been an English teacher and was horrible at math. I can remember him working problems on the board and getting them wrong. When someone would point out to him that he had come up with the wrong answer he would discipline that student by giving them a mark on their conduct card and then correct the answer. I lost count of the number of times he marked answers incorrect that were in fact correct. He once marked five answers incorrect on one of my test that should have been a 100 and when I pointed out to him his mistakes he refused to listen. I had to get my parent to go down to the school and talk with the Principal before he correct his mistakes. I wasn’t the only student that happened to; as it happened to one or two students on nearly every test we were given. The teacher also fell asleep in class numerous times throughout the year, snoring loudly in the process. Finally, after complaint after complaint from parents the teacher was released from the position toward the end of the school year, but the entire year was a waste for the majority of the students in 6th grade, and 5th grade, that had learned the material he tried “teaching†over again, material that we knew better than he did.

That folks is Mercer County B.O.E. hiring procedure at its finest, and why the kids of Mercer County suffer from an outdated hiring approach. You don't hire the most experienced, you hire the most qualified and best possible teacher, coach, etc. regardless of tenure.

You hear all kinds of stories like this, and the state of WV and the MCBOE wonders why we are so below average on the standards on the scholastic criteria that we are supposed to meeting.

[ QUOTE ]

You hear all kinds of stories like this, and the state of WV and the MCBOE wonders why we are so below average on the standards on the scholastic criteria that we are supposed to meeting.

[/ QUOTE ]

And with my terrible typing, I am making it look even worse! haha

Guest BEAVERTAIL

both my parents are in the school system, and they continue to tell me horror stories of what is going on. My parents, especially my dad, have their own teaching strategies, but the BOE wants them to teach it only one way. That just doesnt work for all students...

Mercer County schools is solvent because of Dr.Debbie Akers. If you think not then you haven't been here since we were ask by venders if we would sign personally for the debt for materials or supplies. Staffing is important and who has been staffed since 93. Who's Who

[ QUOTE ]

I am not here to defend Dr. Akers but how can you people talk trash about her hiring practices when you want Turner to be able to do the same thing, ignore the protocal and hire whom he wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

If one can do it, then all should be able to. But as written in the MC codes it is "forbidden", yet he/she can do whatever they want.

what makes every thing so bad they alowed all the years of webster coachin summer league etc. as experience the only the one and only problem is his degree is not in education..and everyone is right if the MCBOE is gonna be strict about some rules then why not be about all rules?

I agree if one can do it everybody should be able too. But I suppose anything that Dr. Akers does she seems to think is justified for the best interest of the kids. You want Turner to make a hire that you and him think is in the best interest of the kids. So you are really saying that you agree in principal with Dr. Akers reasoning, just not with her choices.

[ QUOTE ]

I agree if one can do it everybody should be able too. But I suppose anything that Dr. Akers does she seems to think is justified for the best interest of the kids. You want Turner to make a hire that you and him think is in the best interest of the kids. So you are really saying that you agree in principal with Dr. Akers reasoning, just not with her choices.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I do not agree with anything that she does. She is just abusing her power.

[ QUOTE ]

But Turner should be able to abuse his right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. Turner probably knows what is BETTER for the kids at BLUEFIELD than Akers does. Akers is "abusing" her powers by doing what SHE wants to do...

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe that Dr. Akers an honest person who puts Mercer County and its issues before herself.

No. A GOOD leader would trust the advice given to them by the people under them, or at least take it into consideration...Akers did neither...she wanted Havens to get the job so he got it...

Dictator Akers didnt make this decision, the recommendation went before the board and they saw grievous errors in it and tabled the decision. A good leader takes input from others under them and then makes the decision. It they are always doing what they are told by subjectives that doesnt make them a leader does it.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

No. A GOOD leader would trust the advice given to them by the people under them, or at least take it into consideration...Akers did neither...she wanted Havens to get the job so he got it...

[/ QUOTE ]

The hiring is total BS. They are denying opportunites to great people in this area just because they dont have an education degree?? The position is Head COACH for BHS not english teacher at BHS. What about students who want to major in Athletic Coaching...do they have to go to grad school for education just to be a candidate for any position around here? The same goes with being an athletic director. Akers has screwed Bluefield over in more than one way. I could be wrong but I would say that out of all the Mercer County schools that Bluefield basketball brings in the most revenue but we still have to play in an outdated gym while everyone else has nice places.