Bluefield's head coach

FOOTBALLMAN

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Someone from James Monroe is trying to give advice on basketball? Laughable. Let me give JM some advice, stop modeling your basketball program after the look and style of the movie Hoosiers.

[/ QUOTE ]

RUN THE PICKETT FENCE!!! haha

[/ QUOTE ]

I do have to admit though, the lines James Monroe gets into to practice bounce passes and chest passes they do in warm ups before the game is just textbook.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Well it looks like this thread has gotten off the subject. Has anyone heard anything about the hiring of Bluefields new basketball coach?

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that Bluefield's administration had made their decision on who to recommend to the B.O.E. for the position.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

I've always had a knack for missing the Rim completely and having the ball bounce off the side of a Woodrow Wilson cheerleaders head, and then hit another

[/ QUOTE ]

haha...i remember that... those were the days rocks.

Im pretty sure we got thumped that game too...

[ QUOTE ]

they tabled the recommendation of BHS' aministration.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the Princeton Political Machine is going to screw Bluefield over again...I guess they figure the only way to beat Bluefield is "off the court"...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So the Princeton Political Machine is going to screw Bluefield over again...I guess they figure the only way to beat Bluefield is "off the court"...

[/ QUOTE ]

the peron who was recommended had zero head coaching experience. im sure that was why...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the peron who was recommended had zero head coaching experience. im sure that was why...

[/ QUOTE ]

That should make little difference if the BHS administration recommended him for the hire. Everyone has to start somewhere and that person has plenty of coaching experience just not as a high school head coach.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That should make little difference if the BHS administration recommended him for the hire. Everyone has to start somewhere and that person has plenty of coaching experience just not as a high school head coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesnt matter. Im not sure he is a teacher either. You have to give the job to the person with seniority. Just How it works.

[ QUOTE ]

So Bluefield Rules you think that nothing else should be considered, no experience, no certification, just the fact that Turner wants someone for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if the individual has served as an assistant coach for a set number of years, has a relationship with the students, and is recommended for the job they should be hired. This B.S. about no experience, no ceritification is absolute crap. YOU AREN'T TEACHING, YOU'RE COACHING BASKETBALL, period. That's my opinion, and has always been my opinion. I know a number of people that would love to coach high school athletics, and would be very good at it, but prefer to have a job that pays them more than teaching and doesn't bring with it the headaches of teaching.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

So Bluefield Rules you think that nothing else should be considered, no experience, no certification, just the fact that Turner wants someone for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if the individual has served as an assistant coach for a set number of years, has a relationship with the students, and is recommended for the job they should be hired. This B.S. about no experience, no ceritification is absolute crap. YOU AREN'T TEACHING, YOU'RE COACHING BASKETBALL, period. That's my opinion, and has always been my opinion. I know a number of people that would love to coach high school athletics, and would be very good at it, but prefer to have a job that pays them more than teaching and doesn't bring with it the headaches of teaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

But really if u think about it if you are coaching for 10 plus years and you help some kid stay off the streets are u not teaching? If ypu coach 10 plus years and you show them about charicter and sportsmanship r u not teaching? and everyone knows the type of kids that r involved in athletics these days your talkin bout kids that don't have the same problems as kids back in the day. they deal with pressure from the street to use and sell drugs split families ext. what happens when u get someone who is not use to kids going through these type of problems things other then basketball or football insted of someone thats been there and knows how kids can be head cases these days and knows how to handle it.I'm sorry no disrespect to havens Im sure he is a great coach(even though he has never won anything)and all but the kids @ montcalm and bluefield r 2 totaly diffrent breeds and I'm not sure he can handle some of the egos some of the kids have at bhs

How would you feel if someone is hired for a job at your company over you with much less time. It is easy so say someone would make a good head coach but how do you really know until you are in that position. Just because someone was a great player doesnt mean that they will be a great coach. Just because someone hasnt had success doesnt mean that they wont have success with the right talent. If Webster and Ellison want to resign that is their decision. There are rules that must be followed to hire a coach and clearly Turner didnt follow the rules if he recommended Webster. Clearly some of you Bluefield people are stuck on the idea that Princeton is out to get you. Do you guys have any representation on the school board? Remember who was the coach during your 2 state championships. Coach Gaither. Lets see he went to school at Montcalm before transfering to Bluefield. Coached at a single A school (Matoaka). Had some success but only went to the state tournament one time because they didnt beat Bramwell very often. Comes to Bluefield, brings his son, and immediately has success. Coach Havens played at Montcalm, and coached a single A school. When he has the girls coach he won 200 games in 11 years and went to numerous state tournaments. He coached Matt during his freshmen and sophomore years and who knows if Bluefield would have won 2 state titles without him. If he had stayed at Montcalm they may have won 2 titles their instead of Bluefield. And remember the success Robert Wray had at Princeton. Not Much. But his teams consistently dominated Class A at Bramwell. Get the picture, TALENT decides MOST games. Coach Havens and Coach Gaither always won when they have had TALENT. So if it exists as you say at Bluefield, then Coach Havens will win with it if he gets the job.

[ QUOTE ]

How would you feel if someone is hired for a job at your company over you with much less time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if they were capable of doing a better job, then I wouldn't mind.

Would you want someone who's been an accountant with a company for 20 years to be hired as an engineer for that company over a someone who has been working in the engineering department of that company for only five years?

Ummm, I don't think so. "Tenure" in the work place shouldn't matter...what should matter is, who is BEST for the job, who is most capable for the job, and who is most qualified for the job!!! Hiring anyone other than Webster will be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. At least Turner understands this...

Accountant are not engineers, we are talking about two people who are supposedly both qualified to do the job. Some people think that Webster would do a better job, some people think Havens would, and some wish Gilliard would have stayed. The board has certain criteria that hirings are to be done on. Asking all the people in Bluefield who they want is not one of them. If Webster quits because he doesnt get the job I dont guess he is really concerned about keeping kids off the street. Maybe those egos that was mentioned is the reason that you didnt win it all last year and not the coach.

If you want to be an accountant: GO TO COLLEGE

If you want to be an engineer: GO TO COLLEGE

If you want to be a high school head coach: GO TO COLLEGE AND BECOME A TEACHER

If you dont want to deal with the headaches of teaching, The same headaches exist for coaches.

For a year! They will replace you with a teacher if the teacher wants it. Believe it or not, athletics doesn't come first in school systems. I am as big a fan as any when it comes to sports, but I know you need a qualified individual to coach / teach a sport. There is tons more to sports than skills, technique, and uniforms. You have to know how to mold a young person into a leader and or a teammate. Many more things that are taught. School teachers have that rooted in them from college. Teachers make excellent coaches if they know their sport.