VHSL News

FIGHTN_HOKIE

[ QUOTE ]

For most part, schools of similar size in districts.

[/ QUOTE ]

District alignments are based primarily on geography (and specifically, reduction of travel time), not size. The size issue is (theoretically) addressed by the AAA, AA, A classification system.

The "new SWD" will definitely consist of Graham, Grundy, Richlands, and Tazewell. In an ideal arrangement, three schools would be added to form a 7-team league. And I would imagine that those three slots would be filled by schools that are fairly close to the four "core" schools.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

"Hybrid" combination districts AA/A have proven they don't work. The VHSL dropped that idea...that is one reason Lee is now in Class A. Had the VHSL wanted to keep the idea of "combination" districts, the CMD would be one with Lee still a "AA" school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't there still a hybrid in existence out in the Eastern Shore area? (I could look it up, but just reaching from the top of my head right now.)

Those only exist to resolve extreme scheduling difficulties. And personally, I don't like them. But as goofy as the VHSL is at times, I wouldn't rule it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, there are no more "combo" districts in VA. Nandua of the Eastern Shore District dropped to Class A this year with 737 students. They were "legally" the largest school in Class A...Lee surpasses them in enrollment with 840 students but were granted the exemption to play down.

[ QUOTE ]

Nope, there are no more "combo" districts in VA. Nandua of the Eastern Shore District dropped to Class A this year with 737 students. They were "legally" the largest school in Class A...Lee surpasses them in enrollment with 840 students but were granted the exemption to play down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. That would have been part of the overall "fix" that included Lee's grant to play in Group A, if I'm assuming correctly.

Thanks for the info.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

District alignments are based primarily on geography (and specifically, reduction of travel time), not size. The size issue is (theoretically) addressed by the AAA, AA, A classification system.

The "new SWD" will definitely consist of Graham, Grundy, Richlands, and Tazewell. In an ideal arrangement, three schools would be added to form a 7-team league. And I would imagine that those three slots would be filled by schools that are fairly close to the four "core" schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marion could go the this district or join the Hogoheegee...which would make more sense geographically.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what I did? I left Pocahontas out because it makes sense to no one to have them have their brains beat out by the other 6 SWD schools in every sport.Times have changed, the whole concept of class A is a joke also, but in order to give everyone an even chance people must sacrifice some. Otherwise you never give a school like a Hurley or a Pocahontas a chance to compete for playoff spots.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what I did? I left Pocahontas out because it makes sense to no one to have them have their brains beat out by the other 6 SWD schools in every sport.Times have changed, the whole concept of class A is a joke also, but in order to give everyone an even chance people must sacrifice some. Otherwise you never give a school like a Hurley or a Pocahontas a chance to compete for playoff spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just zeroed in on one part of your post mentioning schools of similar size. No sinister intent on my part.

Pocahontas should probably be omitted because it's simply a matter of time before that high school is closed.

My thoughts of schools taking the drop:

I have said it before and will say it again: The Tazewell schools will take the drop together. The school board, principals, and community will want to at least keep the in-county rivalries alive. Also, which school would get the Pocahontas students if Pocy closes? Would it be enough to push it back up into AA?

I suppose when the wrestling coach at Grundy left, the movement to go to Single A got stronger. (I might be guessing, but I'd imagine Grundy wrestling is a pretty big money maker for Grundy athletics, much as football drives the bus for most schools.) But I don't see them staying up if their Tazewell friends are going down.

Marion would have a harder time pleading 'travel hardship' than Lee. I think their enrollment is getting to the cutoff point though.

No way Abingdon gets a travel hardship (they are a straight shot up I-81 to be part of the River Ridge or along 56 to be part of the Piedmont.) They're just too big (something like 1000 students IIRC.) Carroll would probably join the Piedmont.

And around the state:

The Eastern Shore is all-A and will be for the future. I suspect Nandua will get a travel hardship if they gained 10 students to become AA.

District breakup by size has precedent: the Northern Region has it so they have two Div 6 districts and two Div 5 districts. If the Region C/D principals agree they can make it so for Regions C and D. The Cumberland already seems to be the 'small school' home for D and the Mountain Empire the 'small school' home for C.

Assuming Marion and Richlands both drop to A, my guess is Abingdon and Carroll County end up in the River Ridge with just Pulaski, Blacksburg and Christiansburg.

Salem, Cave Spring and Hidden Valley would go back to the Blue Ridge with Alleghany, Northside, Lord Botetourt and Willam Byrd. The Blue Ridge then moves to Region IV alongside the River Ridge and Piedmont.

This does several things:

1) It cuts down Abingdon and Carroll County's travel time by not having to go all the way to Salem/Roanoke.

2) It balances out the district sizes and eliminates a four-team district (current Blue Ridge).

3) It allows Salem, HV and Cave Spring to rejoin Roanoke County schools in the same district.

Grundy wrestling pays for itself, football covers the other sports. Before you get on here and talk about stuff, know what you are talking about. As for our coach leaving, Coach Fiser is still here and is running the program like it has been for the past 20 years, only he is facing the same problem everyone else is in the county. KIDS. Instead of being 3 deep in every weight class, they are having problems filling all classes. As for dropping to single A, it will be an administration call.

[ QUOTE ]

Assuming Marion and Richlands both drop to A, my guess is Abingdon and Carroll County end up in the River Ridge with just Pulaski, Blacksburg and Christiansburg.

Salem, Cave Spring and Hidden Valley would go back to the Blue Ridge with Alleghany, Northside, Lord Botetourt and Willam Byrd. The Blue Ridge then moves to Region IV alongside the River Ridge and Piedmont.

This does several things:

1) It cuts down Abingdon and Carroll County's travel time by not having to go all the way to Salem/Roanoke.

2) It balances out the district sizes and eliminates a four-team district (current Blue Ridge).

3) It allows Salem, HV and Cave Spring to rejoin Roanoke County schools in the same district.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of like the sound of that. Right on!

You need to check your numbers and geography. Suggestion for a Region C district:

Bland Co

Craig Co.

Ft Chiswell

Narrows

Pocahontas

Also, why would you want St.Paul making 2 hour road trips when they are located (between the 2 towns) 3 miles from Castlewood and 11 miles from Coeburn and about 25 minutes from Twin Springs.

[ QUOTE ]

You need to check your numbers and geography. Suggestion for a Region C district:

Bland Co

Craig Co.

Ft Chiswell

Narrows

Pocahontas

Also, why would you want St.Paul making 2 hour road trips when they are located (between the 2 towns) 3 miles from Castlewood and 11 miles from Coeburn and about 25 minutes from Twin Springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, everyone can't be happy. Some people would have to sacrifice. And also because with the original alignment in 1970 they were in the clinch valley district, which became the black diamond. That is why. And which is longer for Pocahontas, a trip to Craig County or a trip to Hurley? Craig county by far......

[ QUOTE ]

Bad idea to have K-8 under one roof in my opinion...but the Tazewell Co. Board of Supervisors wants it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. I understand, in REALLY small areas, why it's more efficient to do such a thing, having them in one school, but I think it's a horrible idea to have kids that far apart in size in the same school.

I went to high school when it was 10-12, and junior high was 7-9. I always thought it seemed strange to stick 9th graders in HS, due to that size difference.

Related, I have always thought the VHSL division split (6 championships, 6 size classifications) was overkill. Georgia has some enormous (as in over 4,000 students) schools, and we have 5 classes.

I know it's complicated, and this doesn't take any locations into account, but in a perfect world, I'd create 4 classes as follows:

Small A, big A, small AA is the new class A

big AA is the new class AA

small AAA is the new class AAA

large AAA is the new class AAAA

It seems that most of the A and small AA teams are in the SW end of the state, that would be the perfect group to bunch together.