VHSL News

FIGHTN_HOKIE

They'd be guaranteed a playoff spot in the MED, but it sure wouldn't prepare them for the playoffs. Division 2 in REgion C and Region D is tough...some really good teams. I hope to he@@ they don't go to the MED...Three Rivers would be perfect...Glenvar(Salem) would be the longest trip. Eastern Montgomery and Floyd would be a pretty long haul too...but only about 30 minutes longer than when they go to Christiansburg and Blacksburg, out of district.. The extra gas might be worth it to be in a strong district. Lot of $$$ at the gate. Giles, Radford, Floyd bring huge crowds...

HOGO would be a better fit than the MED, GW,Chilhowie could compete for the SWD crown this season, if they were in it. No doubt that Giles or maybe Floyd would win the SWD if they were in it this year from the TRD... I'd say TRD or HOGO would be their best bet. They probably won't get to choose, however...the VHSL will just stick them somewhere. (they never listen to reason)

Don't think you'd see much revenue generated from Bland, Pocy, Fort Cheesewell, Galax,or Grayson. Be lucky to fill two rows at Mitchell...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is gonna kill the smaller schools in time. I don't understand why they don't just go ahead and go to a 4 A format or 5A or 6A.

All that talk a few years ago about parity. Look at it right now. How many group A Div 1 teams you have. The LPD right now only has two group A Div 2 teams.

Can the VHSL not see it needs a fix with it's setup.

NEWS FLASH NEW DISTRICT

Graham crackers

John Bottle

Chilhowie Chillie Dogs

Tazewell bull pups

Grundy Golden rods

George Wythe morons

PH Goat farmers

What do you all think of that league

single A region C. Give me a name for the league and your thoughts. And add teams if you like

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Graham, Tazewell, and Grundy have applied to drop to Single A in 2 years!

Some talk also about the teams above, playing in the Black Diamond as well.

I dont see Graham & Tazwell playing in the BBD but it was being talked about.

John Battle has applied to go back to the Hogoheegee District in 2 years.

The news comes from a pretty good source

[/ QUOTE ]

would that source be the principal at haysi??

[/ QUOTE ]

NOPE! I dont know the man...

[ QUOTE ]

Wonder what Richlands will do? I dont see them trying to drop down, but it's going to put them in an odd spot on scheduling....points wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF this rumor is true, then it means that Richlands will fall in to Class A regardless during the next round of reclassification. The Blues are only about 10 students above the "cutoff" right now.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Wonder what Richlands will do? I dont see them trying to drop down, but it's going to put them in an odd spot on scheduling....points wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF this rumor is true, then it means that Richlands will fall in to Class A regardless during the next round of reclassification. The Blues are only about 10 students above the "cutoff" right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

i remember mance saying this year that if Graham ever dropped to A that they would follow.they would almost have to.Grundy going,Graham and Tazewell eventually.Richlands wouldnt have much of a choice.if this happens,why not leave it the SWD and have carroll and abingdon move to another district,and bring a few other A schools into this new SWD?

[ QUOTE ]

if this happens,why not leave it the SWD and have carroll and abingdon move to another district,and bring a few other A schools into this new SWD?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not psychic or anything, but that's pretty much what I think will happen. I would expect the "new SWD" to look like one of the following options:

1. The current lineup as a hybrid A/AA league

2. Abingdon and Carroll County get booted and some of the old historic schools like Virginia High and John Battle replace them.

3. Abingdon and Carroll get booted and the SWD adds closely located schools like Honaker and Northwood.

Regardless of anything else that happens, I believe that the historical core of the SWD (Graham, Grundy, Richlands, and Tazewell) will remain intact.

[ QUOTE ]

NEWS FLASH NEW DISTRICT

Graham crackers

John Bottle

Chilhowie Chillie Dogs

Tazewell bull pups

Grundy Golden rods

George Wythe morons

PH Goat farmers

What do you all think of that league

single A region C. Give me a name for the league and your thoughts. And add teams if you like

[/ QUOTE ]

How about just calling it the SouthWest District...Richlands and Marion would have to find a new home anyway...( Heck or they could stay and it could be an AA/A district) Carroll could join the Piedmont...

[ QUOTE ]

How about just calling it the SouthWest District...Richlands and Marion would have to find a new home anyway...( Heck or they could stay and it could be an AA/A district) Carroll could join the Piedmont...

[/ QUOTE ]

Richlands and Marion will probably be dropping as well.

I think that Grundy goes to the BDD. Graham and Tazewell go to the CMD. Battle goes back to the Hogo. And Lee asks for a move to the LPD? If Riclands and Marion move down then Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Marion and a team to be named make a new district in Region D. Battle still goes to the Hogo and Lee stays in the CMD? Abingdon and Carroll go up the road somewhere?

First off, under the current playoff system, there is no "room" for a "new" district in either Region C or D...four districts already, if you have five districts and all five district champs are in the same division, then what?

The Districts will have to be "shuffled" if all those teams drop to Class A and keeping them all together in the same district may be nearly impossible if they don't do some serious shuffling.

There are lots of possible combinations and proposals to be made but unfortunately, in order for things to get done right, some schools are going to have to "sacrifice" long standing relationships with certain districts.

Things are going to be real interesting over the next couple of years getting this lined up, if all those teams do indeed drop to Class A.

[ QUOTE ]

TC just need to go on and approve the new plan for 2 new schools in the county. It would be two great football teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't see that happening anytime soon especially with the new proposal for three new K-8 schools (one each in Bluefield, Tazewell, and Richlands). Bad idea to have K-8 under one roof in my opinion...but the Tazewell Co. Board of Supervisors wants it that way.

REMEMBER FOLKS, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, YOU CAN CHANGE IT AT ELECTION TIME...

[ QUOTE ]

grundy, tazewell, graham, and richlands will stay together.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are correct...others will have to "join in" or "move over" if they don't like it...

Here's what I could see happeneing in Region D:

Graham

Tazewell

John Battle

Virginia High

Lebanon

Honaker

Twin Valley

Hurley

Council

Haysi

Grundy

Clintwood

Ervinton

Castlewood

Lee

Gate City

Powell Valley

JJ Kelly

JI Burton

Appalachia

Pound

Rye Cove

Twin Springs

Thomas Walker

Coeburn

St Paul

[ QUOTE ]

Graham

Tazewell

John Battle

Virginia High

Lebanon

Honaker

Twin Valley

Hurley

Council

Haysi

Grundy

Clintwood

Ervinton

Castlewood

Lee

Gate City

Powell Valley

JJ Kelly

JI Burton

Appalachia

Pound

Rye Cove

Twin Springs

Thomas Walker

Coeburn

St Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

That would work well...but we all know the VHSL doesn't have any common sense and they don't listen to the local people when it comes to creating districts...they'll probably take the easy road out and just add the teams dropping to an already existing district. Too much work for them to re-district.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Graham

Tazewell

John Battle

Virginia High

Lebanon

Honaker

Twin Valley

Hurley

Council

Haysi

Grundy

Clintwood

Ervinton

Castlewood

Lee

Gate City

Powell Valley

JJ Kelly

JI Burton

Appalachia

Pound

Rye Cove

Twin Springs

Thomas Walker

Coeburn

St Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

That would work well...but we all know the VHSL doesn't have any common sense and they don't listen to the local people when it comes to creating districts...they'll probably take the easy road out and just add the teams dropping to an already existing district. Too much work for them to re-district.

[/ QUOTE ]

the vhsl is not going to set the districts guys. where in the world are you coming up with some of these ideas? unless consolidation occurs in wise county, the lonesome pine district will not change.

The VHSL is governed by the member schools. Every school has someone voting. The problem is that most school administrators want the status quo, and the schools that need/want a better situation don't have the alliances they need to sway the vote.

If the VHSL doesn't allow the SWD schools to stay together (when/if they drop to 1A), it'll be because a majority of the Region D schools don't want them together.

[ QUOTE ]

The VHSL is governed by the member schools. Every school has someone voting. The problem is that most school administrators want the status quo, and the schools that need/want a better situation don't have the alliances they need to sway the vote.

Is it in anyones best interest for example for Richlands and Tazewell to be in the CMD? Graham to be in the MED, or Grundy in the BDD? Truthfully in 2009, Graham will be very good, Grundy will be very good, Tazewell with all the young kids they are playing should be very good, and Richlands has it rolling down there now and will be very good. All of those teams could win each of those districts in 2009 and beyond. Not saying they will, but they very well could. Is it in everyones best interest to have those teams in the same district? I would certainly think so......

If the VHSL doesn't allow the SWD schools to stay together (when/if they drop to 1A), it'll be because a majority of the Region D schools don't want them together.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Graham

Tazewell

John Battle

Virginia High

Lebanon

Honaker

Twin Valley

Hurley

Council

Haysi

Grundy

Clintwood

Ervinton

Castlewood

Lee

Gate City

Powell Valley

JJ Kelly

JI Burton

Appalachia

Pound

Rye Cove

Twin Springs

Thomas Walker

Coeburn

St Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this......total realignment of regions C and D.

Pioneer

Glenvar

Eastern Mont.

Auburn

Craig County

Bath County

Covington

James River

Parry McCluer

New River

Floyd County

Grayson County

Galax

Radford

Giles

George Wythe

Fort Chiswell

Narrows

Bland County

Hogoheegee

Marion

Rural Retreat

Chilhowie

John Battle

Virginia High

Northwood

Holston

Patrick-Henry(GS)

25 schools in region C........

And now region D.........

Lonesome Pine

Pound

Powell Valley

Appalachia

JI Burton

JJ Kelly

Lee County

Black Diamond

Hurley

Twin Valley

Pocahontas

St Paul

Ervington

Haysi

Clintwood

Cumberland

Coeburn

Castlewood

Twin Springs

Thomas Walker

Rye Cove

Southwest

Gate City

Lebanon

Honaker

Richlands

Grundy

Tazewell

Graham

25 schools in region D. Some rivalries die, some are renewed. For most part, schools of similar size in districts. I think it would be a good idea, but it will not happen.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

if this happens,why not leave it the SWD and have carroll and abingdon move to another district,and bring a few other A schools into this new SWD?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not psychic or anything, but that's pretty much what I think will happen. I would expect the "new SWD" to look like one of the following options:

2. Abingdon and Carroll County get booted and some of the old historic schools like Virginia High and John Battle replace them.

3. Abingdon and Carroll get booted and the SWD adds closely located schools like Honaker and Northwood.

Regardless of anything else that happens, I believe that the historical core of the SWD (Graham, Grundy, Richlands, and Tazewell) will remain intact.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hybrid concept is interesting and worth some analyzing as well. There are districts with divison 4 and 3 combos (like the SW) what would be the difference in a district with divison 3 and 2 teams if need be.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The hybrid concept is interesting and worth some analyzing as well. There are districts with divison 4 and 3 combos (like the SW) what would be the difference in a district with divison 3 and 2 teams if need be.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hybrid" combination districts AA/A have proven they don't work. The VHSL dropped that idea...that is one reason Lee is now in Class A. Had the VHSL wanted to keep the idea of "combination" districts, the CMD would be one with Lee still a "AA" school.

[ QUOTE ]

How about this......total realignment of regions C and D.

Pioneer

Glenvar

Eastern Mont.

Auburn

Craig County

Bath County

Covington

James River

Parry McCluer

New River

Floyd County

Grayson County

Galax

Radford

Giles

George Wythe

Fort Chiswell

Narrows

Bland County

Hogoheegee

Marion

Rural Retreat

Chilhowie

John Battle

Virginia High

Northwood

Holston

Patrick-Henry(GS)

25 schools in region C........

And now region D.........

Lonesome Pine

Pound

Powell Valley

Appalachia

JI Burton

JJ Kelly

Lee County

Black Diamond

Hurley

Twin Valley

Pocahontas

St Paul

Ervington

Haysi

Clintwood

Cumberland

Coeburn

Castlewood

Twin Springs

Thomas Walker

Rye Cove

Southwest

Gate City

Lebanon

Honaker

Richlands

Grundy

Tazewell

Graham

25 schools in region D. Some rivalries die, some are renewed. For most part, schools of similar size in districts. I think it would be a good idea, but it will not happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too logical...and remember who you are dealing with...it will never happen...

[ QUOTE ]

"Hybrid" combination districts AA/A have proven they don't work. The VHSL dropped that idea...that is one reason Lee is now in Class A. Had the VHSL wanted to keep the idea of "combination" districts, the CMD would be one with Lee still a "AA" school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't there still a hybrid in existence out in the Eastern Shore area? (I could look it up, but just reaching from the top of my head right now.)

Those only exist to resolve extreme scheduling difficulties. And personally, I don't like them. But as goofy as the VHSL is at times, I wouldn't rule it out.