VHSL News

FIGHTN_HOKIE

Graham, Tazewell, and Grundy have applied to drop to Single A in 2 years!

Some talk also about the teams above, playing in the Black Diamond as well.

I dont see Graham & Tazwell playing in the BBD but it was being talked about.

John Battle has applied to go back to the Hogoheegee District in 2 years.

The news comes from a pretty good source

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, those teams don't have to "apply" to drop. They already have Class A numbers...they "apply" to play up.

If they do play in the BDD, I don't see it as the BDD of today. I see Hurley and Twin Valley seeking refuge in another district. I could see keeping Haysi and Honaker, and possibly adding Lebanon, with the addition of Graham, Grundy, and Tazewell to form a "new" BDD. However, I don't see Graham and Tazewell actually playing in the BDD either.

Actually, better wording would be "they wish to play in their proper classification."

I can definitely see Graham, Tazewell, Grundy, Honaker, and Lebanon in the same district.

they should just drop the SWD down to A level then and bring back the Highlands district name.

Wonder what Richlands will do? I dont see them trying to drop down, but it's going to put them in an odd spot on scheduling....points wise.

graham probally could have been single A for yrs couldnt they?taz droppin off slow in numbers and grundy im not sure .graham has always been rich in football and never really need to drop so i wonder why the change now?

could be that a bunch of 'em finally came to their senses.

or maybe the ADM numbers are out and a SWD team (or 2) that was AA now qualifies as A.

Either way, it'll cause a mess. Everyone shoulda dropped 2 years ago so Regions III, IV, C & D could have went ahead and set up for the long-haul.

that sounds like a good line up for a district.im sure something will be done like that.since haysi dropped to div 1 honaker is the only div 2 in bdd.haysi has really been a thorn in honakers side for yrs but basically honaker can go 3-7 and make the playoffs .even if its honaker makin it thats just not right when u have better teams sittin home.then on the other hand they can go 9-1 and miss the playoffs .yea it happened .basically the bdd is based on 1 game -haysi and honaker.im not tryin to belittle the other teams in the bdd because they battle well with their enrollment

[ QUOTE ]

could be that a bunch of 'em finally came to their senses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

[ QUOTE ]

or maybe the ADM numbers are out and a SWD team (or 2) that was AA now qualifies as A.

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY possible.

[ QUOTE ]

Either way, it'll cause a mess. Everyone shoulda dropped 2 years ago so Regions III, IV, C & D could have went ahead and set up for the long-haul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

Marion may follow soon. There was talk of that around here, when it was just a rumor that Graham, Grundy and Tazewell would drop down. If they go...I expect Marion to follow... They would have to "apply" however to play down, following Lee County's lead. I don't see them staying AA, with all of the A teams around. Probably go to the Hogoheegee. Looks like Abingdon and Richlands may be the only other AA teams left...

I say re-classification across the board...A, AA, AAA and AAAA. Maybe teams like Graham, Tazewell, Grundy, Marion...could remain AA that way...bigger schools like Pulaski & Blacksburg would move up to AAA....etc...

[ QUOTE ]

Marion may follow soon. There was talk of that around here, when it was just a rumor that Graham, Grundy and Tazewell would drop down. If they go...I expect Marion to follow... They would have to "apply" however to play down, following Lee County's lead. I don't see them staying AA, with all of the A teams around. Probably go to the Hogoheegee. Looks like Abingdon and Richlands may be the only other AA teams left...

I say re-classification across the board...A, AA, AAA and AAAA. Maybe teams like Graham, Tazewell, Grundy, Marion...could remain AA that way...bigger schools like Pulaski & Blacksburg would move up to AAA....etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Richlands has went down in numbers the past few years more than Graham and Tazewell. I have heard that if Tazewell and Graham go Richlands will be trying to go with them.

i doubt seriously that Richlands would try to go to single A...they have other sports that probably would get eleminated if they dropped to Single A....plus it would be hard pressed for the VHSL to allow them to play down with all of the other teams going down where they belong.

[ QUOTE ]

Graham, Tazewell, and Grundy have applied to drop to Single A in 2 years!

Some talk also about the teams above, playing in the Black Diamond as well.

I dont see Graham & Tazwell playing in the BBD but it was being talked about.

John Battle has applied to go back to the Hogoheegee District in 2 years.

The news comes from a pretty good source

[/ QUOTE ]

would that source be the principal at haysi??

[ QUOTE ]

Coach Carlock is turning over in his grave. What is Lard doing to the Gman program

[/ QUOTE ]

"Lard"? Who the hell is "Lard"?

What's happening is, the administration at Graham is doing what others didn't have the nerve to do years ago...

Wouldn't it be interesting for Graham fans to see a Graham vs. Gate City playoff matchup...or Graham vs. Giles...Graham vs. Powell Valley...Graham vs. Floyd...etc...

My only hope is that they do NOT move to the MED. The lack of a challenge in that district would be disastrous for Graham. They would be more suited in a strong district like the Three Rivers. Some good teams with big crowds in that district...

[ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be interesting for Graham fans to see a Graham vs. Gate City playoff matchup...or Graham vs. Giles...Graham vs. Powell Valley...Graham vs. Floyd...etc...

My only hope is that they do NOT move to the MED. The lack of a challenge in that district would be disastrous for Graham. They would be more suited in a strong district like the Three Rivers. Some good teams with big crowds in that district...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Graham considered dropping several years ago (about the same time that Gate City dropped) and were told by the VHSL that they would be placed in the MED. Needless to say, Graham continued playing up.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Graham considered dropping several years ago (about the same time that Gate City dropped) and were told by the VHSL that they would be placed in the MED. Needless to say, Graham continued playing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, one thing you could say for sure, if they ended up in the MED you could count on a playoff spot every year.

[ QUOTE ]

First off, those teams don't have to "apply" to drop. They already have Class A numbers...they "apply" to play up.

If they do play in the BDD, I don't see it as the BDD of today. I see Hurley and Twin Valley seeking refuge in another district. I could see keeping Haysi and Honaker, and possibly adding Lebanon, with the addition of Graham, Grundy, and Tazewell to form a "new" BDD. However, I don't see Graham and Tazewell actually playing in the BDD either.

[/ QUOTE ]

What other districts could Hurley or Twin Valley seek refuge to? The BDD is the only fit for them in Region D.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What other districts could Hurley or Twin Valley seek refuge to? The BDD is the only fit for them in Region D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cumberland....

[ QUOTE ]

They would be more suited in a strong district like the Three Rivers. Some good teams with big crowds in that district...

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem that would pose for them would be that their closest game would be Giles at over an hour ride. Imagine trips to Floyd Co. or Glenvar! This is all based on the TRD staying intact. Maybe the Hogo would be a better fit?