BC @ VT

Ryan4VT

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly not wise to give Virginia Tech any bulletin-board material. I believe Jagodzinski's done that. The best thing he could've done this week was praised Virginia Tech to the utmost, said something about Lane Stadium being the roughest environment in the ACC to play, complimented Beamer, etc. That might have not raised the tensions as high as they are now.

It's always an interesting experience when you go to Lane Stadium for a football game. It certainly was my first time. It's unique in its own way, but Jagodzinski knows what it's like in the Bayou and at Green Bay in pressure-filled, loud environments. Even though he might not have visited before, I think he'll do fair, given his experience. I'll leave it at that. Three hours 'til gametime!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

BC 42

VT 6

[/ QUOTE ]

If that turns out to be even remotely correct there's going to be some real nashing of teeth and gargling with burbon on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a full-fledged celebration in Charlottesville...

But again, unless there's a dysentary outbreak in the Tech field house, that won't happen.

What a game!!! I feel bad for ol' BeaverTail. He made the trip to Blacksburg tonight and sit through a great, rainy game only the see the Hokies lose in the final seconds. Give Matt Ryan and the entire BS team credit. They really showed heart in the final 2:11 of the game. Tech should have only been up 3-0 because the TD pass to Royal was clearly out of bounds, but they gave it to them. Finally, the BCS might stay kind of the same this week. Or maybe something crazy has yet to happen.

I think coaching is about 70 percent of it.

The other 30 comes from the resiliency of the Boston College players, notably Matt Ryan. They could have folded, and stumbled around the field like a 2nd-string junior varsity squad as they did most of the night. They attacked, and took advantage of coaching mistakes. Yes, coaching was most of it, but you still need a top-tier team to take advantage of the mistakes.

Yes, they do.

Boston College waltzed into Blacksburg, on a Thursday night, where Virginia Tech appears unbeatable. They beat the 8th ranked team in the country in dramatic comeback fashion. Boston College is undefeated, with a marquee win tonight. They weren't on their best game for 56 minutes, and gutted out a win. Most every team has close calls at some point, and Boston College had a scare tonight. Until they lose, yes, they deserve to be at the top.

Look at Ohio State. The most challenging opponent they have played in Michigan State. Virginia Tech is far superior to Michigan State. Yet another reason.

It's easy to be upset at the outcome. That's no reason to put down your opponents, unless you have more basis for your reasoning than that. It shows a lot of class to be gracious in victory and defeat.

i'm not even a tech fan... i'm actually a buckeye fan and i'll agree w/ you there (they played a good purdue team though also).. actually i want BC to win and stay at number 2 haha but i just look at the SEC and see from top to bottom how hard it is to not lose a game in that conference like kentucky having to play lsu and florida back to back and if BC wins out they do deserve to be in the bcs championship but how would they be doing now if they were in the SEC this is just where the BCS is screwy and we need a playoff

I totally agree with both statements. From top to bottom, the SEC is the toughest conference in the nation. Vanderbilt, the 10th-ranked SEC team, beat South Carolina this past weekend. Ole Miss and Mississippi State are not easy outs, either; both could give one of the higher-ups a shocking upset if their opponents don't come to play every week. One could make a case for the Pac-10 this year, but I honestly think the SEC is the toughest, regardless if no team is undefeated in the conference. Which leads me to...

A playoff is really in order eventually, and hopefully as soon as possible. You could make a case for 6-7 teams being the top team in the nation, much less in the top 2. It seems trite to just say: "you two are the best out of the mix this year, you two only will get the chance". I know, this discussion happened weeks ago, and I hope this doesn't degenerate into that again. I think it's obvious after the game of musical chairs the teams have played this season.

It was in my team, Virginia's, best interest for Virginia Tech to lose tonight, so I wanted to see the loss. The manner of loss was very harsh, and I have mixed feelings about that. I hate to see them lose in that fashion, for I know what it's like to be on the opposite side of that scale, and it's heartbreaking. However, the gut-punch manner of the loss heightens the possibility of a Virginia Tech slide in conference play (the "how can they come back from that" principle), thereby helping Virginia. I do feel badly for Virginia Tech, though. I really do.

The loss now has Virginia Tech looking up at Virginia for the trip to the ACC conference title game, and barring Miami running the table (unlikely, based on the schedule), the Virginia-Virginia Tech game (given a Virginia victory over the anemic Wolfpack) on November 24th will be for the Coastal Division's birth to Jacksonville. The winner of that game will then play most likely Boston College. For the conference's sake, and for the opponent's sake, whether it be Virginia or Virginia Tech, it benefits everyone if Boston College stays in the top 2. First, it makes the ACC look great to have a representative to the national title game, and especially one of the newer ACC teams. Second, if either team upsets them, it increases the potential for two ACC BCS games, since Boston College would then be 12-1, and Virginia/Virginia Tech would likely be looking at 11-2/10-3.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i stood in the raon for hours watching this game and honestly i was very pleased with the whole experience. First off i love muddy/rainy/snowy games with a passion. Second the game was close the whole way and Lane Stadium was filled with its usual thursday night crowd despite the rain. everyone was saying the crowd would be null and void with the rain but that wasnt so. Thats probably the loudest ive heard it since the miami game (before the thumping) All the players played exceptionally well and played their hearts out. as for the coaches, not so much...

I have to say though it was one of the greatest games ive ever witnessed...

I remember sitting in my recliner in my apartment last night, and when I heard "Enter Sandman" and that crowd positively ROAR, I got goosebumps. I can't lie. That might have been the loudest I've ever heard any one area in my life, and I was just hearing it through the television.

From one fan to another, I hate that it turned out in the fashion it did. However, there was the talk of ESPN-Classic-worthy games. This game definitively fits the bill. It was probably one of the best I've ever seen, and that's speaking from someone who wasn't there.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

I remember sitting in my recliner in my apartment last night, and when I heard "Enter Sandman" and that crowd positively ROAR, I got goosebumps. I can't lie. That might have been the loudest I've ever heard any one area in my life, and I was just hearing it through the television.

From one fan to another, I hate that it turned out in the fashion it did. However, there was the talk of ESPN-Classic-worthy games. This game definitively fits the bill. It was probably one of the best I've ever seen, and that's speaking from someone who wasn't there.

[/ QUOTE ]

this year i thought Lane stadium just wasnt the same. I was saddened, and felt like thursday night was not gonna be that great. Boy was i wrong. I feel truly priviledged to be there. UVAobserver, i wouldnt have minded showing you what the lane was allabout last night... we might could have even made a hokie out of you haha...

wow, hokies go down in dramatic chokamatic fashion. If Taylor was there, it would have been different, Tech wins. If it was dry weather.....BC Wins anyway. Some other weak ACC team must beat BC.....maybe tech can in the ACC championship.

If Taylor was there, Boston College would have won by three scores. Taylor was gimpy on his hurt ankle, regardless. The wet turf would have given him no support, and there was a high risk of reinjury. Taylor's best weapon is his elusiveness, which would have been nil last night. Glennon was the best, and obvious, choice.

Virginia Tech first needs to worry about getting in position to have a shot at the ACC title game first. A Virginia win this weekend makes things interesting...One week at a time for the Hokies.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Glennon managed the game very well. He put his team in a chance to win the ball game. Taylor was best fit to sit on the sidelines. Not only would his speed be depleted, but the risk of him reinjuring his ankle would be greater on the wet/muddy turf.