GC/Gretna

VivaFutbol

Just guessing here because i haven't seen Amherst, but i would have to favor Amherst big. Gretna is good, not great! They were not all that much faster than GC. They were athletic! GC killed themselves. 8 or 9 turnovers. I don't think we would have beaten anyone on our schedule with that many turnovers. GC moved the ball all over the field and then turned it over.

The bigest thing i saw (beside the to's) was they were actually bigger and stronger at the skill positions over GC, soo many missed tackles on the day. They (Gretna) do block really well down field. It wasn't overall speed, but good quickness under control, good cutting etc... Miller is fast, the spread allowed the middle to open up and they took advantage like no one we've played has been able to.

I am certainly not trying to demean Gretna, they are good! I just felt GC shot themselves in the foot more than the D of the Hawks hurt us. The Gretna recievers really went and got some bad throws and made plays.

GC had so many turnovers that they only punted 2 times, how many times does a team lose 52-0 and not punt but twice?

I've watched a lot of football over the years and seen a ton of good teams and a few "great" ones. Gretna is good, not great. Unfortunately for GC that was more than enough tonight.

Now one thing about the refs!(they did not cost us the game) BUT! Good grief they suck! they sucked for both teams. I saw so many flags tonight i am still seeing yellow. I saw some good calls, tons of no-calls, and many that probably shouldn't be called. GC got a flag nearly every 3rd down for Gretna in the 1st half. (some deserved)

Just one other point that kind of suprised me the Gretna starters played every play of the game. No taking anyone out with a huge lead late. That's his business and GC's bad for not stopping it! I just know that wouldn't have happened if the shoe was on the other foot.

You hate to see anyone get to the big game and lose that bad. I saw some of it on replay, reminded me of the 69-24 beating Bluefield put on Wayne 3 years ago, you just can't make that many mistakes against a great team and expect to stay in it.

About the Gretna starters staying in, yeah that was a little uncalled for. If I heard right, is the Gretna QB a freshman? Boy that could be bad news for everyone else in the division!

The thing that got me was before the game. GC's crowd chanting and doing their usual thing then a Gretna player comes over to the sideline and starts taunting. That's understandable and all in good fun but then a Gretna coach joins in and to me makes an ass of himself. To me, that's classless and trashy and I know I wouldn't see that in return by GC or anybody else from this area for that matter. I don't know what was said (sit on Gretna side since it was the Clintwood side in their game and too sorry to move) or anything so maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here. But still, just the fact it's seen that way. If I'm from Gretna I'm upset my coaches are representing my school and town that way.

I wouldn't even start on the jawing going on, because i heard a lot of it. By the GC fans and Gretna players in warmups. I thought most of that was in good spirit. The fans on the front row were loud and and the Gretna players in warmups were jawing back and forth. One guy (#44) was flexing like Mr. Universe. (#6) wouldn't even run aroute if it wasn't coming to his side (during the game) that is bad.The one that bothered me was a Gretna assistant coach was all the way over on the GC sideline jawing with the GC fans and pointing at them. Players are one thing, the coaches...that's just sad.

With that said i saw several GC fans that lack class too...one was flipping said coach off. And running his mouth constantly. The Gretna crowd gave the GC band a great ovation at halftime, that suprised me a little since all the other stuff was going on. There were at least 6 personal fouls in the game.

Gretna was the better team, if GC doesn't turn the ball over at all we make a game out of it, but, probably lose by 7-20 points. GC just didn't execute in this one.

They just weren't 52-0 better, that was more due to GC mistakes than their dominance.

[ QUOTE ]

Now one thing about the refs!(they did not cost us the game) BUT! Good grief they suck! they sucked for both teams. I saw so many flags tonight i am still seeing yellow. I saw some good calls, tons of no-calls, and many that probably shouldn't be called. GC got a flag nearly every 3rd down for Gretna in the 1st half. (some deserved)

[/ QUOTE ]

The same was true at the Richlands-Monticello game. The refs made some horrible calls/ no calls, mostly againt Richlands from my point of view, but Im sure that Monticello fans thought they made some bad ones their way also. Do I think that the Refs cost us the game... nope. But I did expect better in a championship game. There were a couple of times where the refs stopped play for what seemed like 3-5 minutes trying to figure out what was going on with the clock, or with flags on the field. There were also several blatant offsides and PI calls that It thought should have been called. But oh well...it dosnt really matter.

[ QUOTE ]

A Gate City fan upset because an opposing player or fan was on THEIR side of the field?..........interesting to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was thinking the same but didn't want to say it...

Actually, it was a coach! I had no problems with the players. When a coach comes all the way across the field and crosses the sideline several times to jaw with the fans (mostly student section and several that don't seem to grow up) that is a little odd. He was 5-10 yards away from the fans.

I saw all the penalties against Gretna too....most were in the second half which started 26-0 against GC.