So, is Graham, Tazewell and Grundy dropping to A next cycle or what?

futbolking

[ QUOTE ]

I heard they were...but now, I'm hearing conflicting information from an unidentified source...somebody who knows what the heck is going on, please enlighten me.

[/ QUOTE ]

As it stands right now, Graham and Tazewell will be AA for sure for 2009-10/2010-11 cycle. Grundy wants to go down, they just have to find a home...they want to join the LPD but the LPD isn't being very receptive to them.

i doubt they wanna play single a schools...but there's not alot of good AA schools around that can play them. graham can get alot more out of playing gretna(who does have first team all state QB who was a freshman this year coming back) than playing a weaker AA school. gretna would beat most AA schools around so i think this would be a good game for them.

A lot or most I should say SWD schools are border line or under the numbers to stay at AA.....Grundy should have petitioned to go A for the begining of there 2 yr cycle last year...There the smallest AA school in the sate of Va I think....Richlands is over by I think less than 50 kids...

[ QUOTE ]

A lot or most I should say SWD schools are border line or under the numbers to stay at AA.....Grundy should have petitioned to go A for the begining of there 2 yr cycle last year...There the smallest AA school in the sate of Va I think....Richlands is over by I think less than 50 kids...

[/ QUOTE ]

Grundy doesn't have to petition to drop to Class A...they ARE Class A, as is Graham and Tazewell. All three schools petition to play up to AA.

[ QUOTE ]

if Graham is gonna start putting single A teams on their schedule then they should drop in class.nothing to gain by playing single A schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this is a special situation due to the fact that Graham was dropped by Mount View in the middle of the VA two-year cycle of contracts. There were not a lot of options out there as far as VA schools go. Gretna is also in the same position having lost an opponent on a different contract cycle. And adding Gretna is not like putting Twin Valley on the schedule for the sake of having a 10th game. Gretna was heads and shoulders better than every Class A team this past season and likely would have beaten all but a few of the Class AA teams. They also return their sophmore to be QB, who by the way, was All-State 1st Team as a freshman. Getting Gretna on the schedule is a quality addition...and probably the toughest team on the schedule next season if it happens...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

if Graham is gonna start putting single A teams on their schedule then they should drop in class.nothing to gain by playing single A schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this is a special situation due to the fact that Graham was dropped by Mount View in the middle of the VA two-year cycle of contracts. There were not a lot of options out there as far as VA schools go. Gretna is also in the same position having lost an opponent on a different contract cycle. And adding Gretna is not like putting Twin Valley on the schedule for the sake of having a 10th game. Gretna was heads and shoulders better than every Class A team this past season and likely would have beaten all but a few of the Class AA teams. They also return their sophmore to be QB, who by the way, was All-State 1st Team as a freshman. Getting Gretna on the schedule is a quality addition...and probably the toughest team on the schedule next season if it happens...

[/ QUOTE ]GMan...are you copying me? haha

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so this isnt for sure yet?i agree 100% as far as quality opponent goes.shoot id say Gretna couldve beatin most of the triple A schools last year.they have an endless supply of athletes down there.we all know Graham hasnt been a AA school for years,so whats keeping them from dropping?besides just wanting to play up.

Just heard a rumor today that Graham admin elected "NOT" to participate in sports at the single A level. Have'nt received anything of substance on the subject, but it sounded as if statement had some merit.

[ QUOTE ]

Just heard a rumor today that Graham admin elected "NOT" to participate in sports at the single A level. Have'nt received anything of substance on the subject, but it sounded as if statement had some merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a rumor...read what I posted above...

Thought you might be interested in this read, local school in Gwinnett Co. about 10 miles from where I live:

Buford having trouble finding opponents

By TODD HOLCOMB

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/18/08

Buford outscored its opponents 681-66 last season and won the Class AA championship game 50-0.

Now, the Wolves aren't finding opponents eager to play them.

Buford coach Jess Simpson has lined up Class AAA powers Thomson and North Hall for his first two games for the 2008 season, but he's got an open date Sept. 12 or Sept. 19, or possibly Oct. 4 with some juggling.

"We're having a hard time filling it," Simpson said.

"Obviously, having a lot of success can be a hindrance."

Simpson says he has discussed having games with Ware County, the Class AAAA runner-up, Byrnes High of Duncan, S.C., and the McCallie School of Chattanooga.

McCallie is out, but the other two remain possibilities, Simpson said.

The coach also is thinking about calling Brunswick, a Class AAAA playoff team that needs games, but he is concerned about taking a long trip to the Georgia coast. Buford traveled to Ohio last season and defeated Grove City High 34-7.

"At this point, we don't want to drive six hours to play a high school football game; it's not what's best for our kids and community," Simpson said. "But if that's what we have to do to fill a 10-game schedule, that's what we've got to do."

Buford would prefer playing a larger school for the better competition, but there is little to gain for Class AAAA or AAA teams to play Buford.

"I'd feel the same way," Simpson said. "If you lose to a AA team, you don't look good, and if you win, you're supposed to."

Buford's game at Thomson, scheduled for Aug. 29, will be the first between the schools. Thomson was 9-1-1 in 2007 and won the Class AAAA state title in 2002.

Buford will play North Hall at home on Sept. 5. North Hall was 13-1 last season and finished No. 3 in the final Class AAA rankings. The teams have played six times, but not since 1977.

Schedules are due to the Georgia High School Association on March 15.

Graham has a lot of talent on their team every year. Gretna vs Graham would be a great game. Richlands also has great talent and could compete with Gretna and other single-A powerhouses. Honestly, the SWD probably should be single-A IMO

Gretna had a great team and great run last season, congrats to them. They do however lose the majority of both sides of the ball to graduation. The very talented QB will be back, but most of his supporting cast from last year won't be.

One of the Tazewell coaches told me last month there is a lot of sentiment for staying in AA because they feel it will actually be easier to succeed in Region IV than in Region D if the VHSL adopts divisional play in sports other than football.

Region D, Division 2 would arguably be stronger than Region IV, Division 3 in many sports. Things would be different at the state level, though.