Muncy gets offer from Wake

jets

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he had to go after them... no help from the schools around here... went to a camp there this past weekend. and has been to several combines... hopefully coach stew will see him soon

[ QUOTE ]

Why can't Bluefield football players ever get offers like that?

I mean nothing against Muncy, But why is it that all the schools around Bluefield are sending players to D1 schools and Bluefield isint?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look no further than Coach Simon. Things may have changed by now, but when I was in school 6-7 years ago he did very little to help the kids get their names out to D1, or even D2, schools.

[ QUOTE ]

... went to a camp there this past weekend. and has been to several combines...

[/ QUOTE ]

Excerpt of article I posted under General Discussion few days ago:

Camps and combines

A rising high school prospect can make a name for himself in the summer, when colleges across the country hold football camps on their campuses.

"The football coach is nothing more than a door opener for the kids," Sphire said. "I can't show college coaches everything they should see about a kid. That's why the kids and parents have to do their part."

Aside from having a high enough GPA and a qualifying SAT or ACT, there are other things students and parents can do to help their college football recruiting.

Touring a college campus, whether it's an unofficial visit or an official one, can help an athlete decide if he likes the school. Going to college summer camps and recruiting combines can also help.

"Pick out four or five schools that you think you have a legitimate shot of playing at and go to their summer camp and impress them," Brookwood coach Mark Crews said.

Often camps held by colleges can spark the interest of a coach and eventually lead to that team recruiting the player.

Combines have also become a popular way for players to get noticed. A player can go to a combine and if he runs the 40-yard dash in an impressive time or looks agile, it can get the college scouts' attention.

February 10, 2008

Jared Shelton

DeaconsIllustrated.com Editor

Talk about it in The Pulpit - Premium

This past weekend was a huge opportunity for Wake Forest to get familiar with some of the most talented juniors in the country as they hosted their Junior Day on campus. Some of the biggest names in the 2009 class were in attendance in Winston-Salem this weekend, including Tazewell (VA) wide receiver Matt Muncy. The visit was Muncy's first to Wake Forest's campus, and after receiving some good news, it might not be his last.

"It was great, I got to meet all of the coaches, and they offered me my first scholarship, so I was really excited" Muncy said. "They offered me right when I got there, and I was pretty much in shock the whole day. But I got to see the campus and all of the facilities. The campus was beautiful, I loved it. The facilities were really nice and we got to go over to the stadium and see that. They toured us through all of the locker rooms and onto the field."

Along with the campus and the facilities, the 6'4" athlete claims that he enjoyed his time with the Wake Forest coaching staff.

"The coaches that I met were all really nice" he said. "I talked to all of the coaches pretty much; Coach Grobe called me into his office at the end of the visit and we talked for about ten minutes. I talked a lot with Coach Russ and Coach Lambert, who is recruiting my area."

After his tour of the campus, facilities, and the football stadium, Muncy and the other recruits were taken to the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum to watch the Demon Deacon basketball team take down the Virginia Cavaliers.

"The basketball game was really fun, they had a great student section and you could just tell that they had good fan support."

Blessed with a large frame and abundant athletic ability, Muncy has been able to help his team out at numerous positions, and on both sides of the ball. Benching 315 pounds and squatting 405 pounds, it is easy to see why his high school coach would want him on the field as much as possible.

"I play quarterback, wide receiver, and a little bit of strong safety" he said. "I play at a pretty small school so we only have 45-50 players on the team, so I have to play both ways. When I was at Wake Forest yesterday some of the coaches were joking around that they had been fighting over which position I should play. If I had my choice though, I'd play anything on the offensive side of the ball."

In addition to his size, perhaps the biggest reason why Wake was so quick to offer Muncy is because of his speed, a 4.59 40-yard dash. It is rare to find athletes who are tall, well-built, and fast, but it appears that the Tazewell product has all three.

"My fastest timed 40 is a 4.59" Muncy said. "I've been working with a trainer in Knoxville, and he says that if I keep working with him that I can get my time down to the 4.4's easily. I'm going to go work with him this summer and try to get faster and work on my stride. I'm also lifting about four days a week and trying to get my strength up."

The natural consequence for possessing such athletic traits is obviously possessing the attention of big time programs, and Muncy is no exception.

"I'm looking at a lot schools around this area, but I'm looking the most at Ohio State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest" he said. "I've been to the NCSA [National Collegiate Scouting Association] so that I could get my highlight video sent out to a bunch of schools."

So what will Muncy be looking for in a school?

"Academics are important to me" he said. "We got to go talk to one of the academic assistants for the football players at Wake, and she was telling us about how small the classes are, and how small the faculty to student ratio is. I think that I would have trouble learning with a couple hundred people in my class; I like how the class is a lot more personal at Wake."

Muncy claims that he does have a favorite, but there are other schools that he is looking at as well.

"Wake is definitely on top" Muncy said. "I like Virginia too; I just sent them some film so I'm curious to see what they think. But right now Wake is my favorite, I just felt really comfortable there. The coaches were really outgoing and nice and made me feel like I was part of something special."

Stay tuned to Deacons Illustrated for the latest in Wake Forest recruiting and athletics.

he would be perfect for WVU's zone read.... a strong reciever who can block in running plays.... and coach Stew will be looking for several wide out's next year

[ QUOTE ]

did this kid make all district at all????

[/ QUOTE ]

Second Team QB...along with two other players...

Honestly, I really do wish the best for this young man and hope that he takes advantage of his opportunity to get a free education at a very good academic institution...

BUT...I have to ask...and some of you may jump me for this but that's OK...I have my opinion, you have your's...

I've seen this kid play...he isn't close to being on the same talent level of Austin Fuller. Other than being 6'4" and running a 4.6 40, which he can improve on...what am I missing that would result in him getting an offer from WF??? What did the WF coaches see that no one else in the SWD can see???

I apologize for being so coarse with my opinion but I need to know some answers...

gman I have to seen him play and I am scratching my head as well..I was about to tell Jets I hope we do not offer him...but i do wish him the best as well I do not even come close to knowing him personally so I guess my comments are not legitamate however based on his performance I am still shaking my head saying how?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I really do wish the best for this young man and hope that he takes advantage of his opportunity to get a free education at a very good academic institution...

BUT...I have to ask...and some of you may jump me for this but that's OK...I have my opinion, you have your's...

I've seen this kid play...he isn't close to being on the same talent level of Austin Fuller. Other than being 6'4" and running a 4.6 40, which he can improve on...what am I missing that would result in him getting an offer from WF??? What did the WF coaches see that no one else in the SWD can see???

I apologize for being so coarse with my opinion but I need to know some answers...

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO...big kid with no football skill other than size and speed and i'm pretty sure it's not a 4.59 but good luck

Wel i coached him through 4 years of midget league and do know where his heart is... and if he had played for richlands as austin fuller did where would his stats be now... D1 coaches look at what you do in the combines more than they do on the field... or as much as anyway... the are looking at the fact that with his frame he could add 30 40 or even 50 lbs and carry it well. the potter looks at the clay... besides he is only a jr. wait till nov to make your judgements.... beside what would i do if my nephew was playing for VPI or somewhere against my beloved mteers.... id just have to shoot myself......lol

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO...big kid with no football skill other than size and speed and i'm pretty sure it's not a 4.59 but good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

no skill?..... dang peewee you must be a football hero

[ QUOTE ]

Why can't Bluefield football players ever get offers like that?

I mean nothing against Muncy, But why is it that all the schools around Bluefield are sending players to D1 schools and Bluefield isint?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to ask the question...What are your high school coaches doing to get these kids seen?

Don't mean to jump in the argument. But i've been to quite a few combines and camps, and i've talked to several D-1 coaches. They all tell you the exact same thing "do your best at this combine and it will help, but what we are really looking for is how you perform on the field, this combine won't break you if you don't do well, it's all about game night." So yes combines help camps help but they are to get a good player on the map for coaches. Combines don't show you're a great player or an awful player, look at some of the best players in the NFL right now. I would say at least 50% of them never went to a combine in highschool. But congrats to matt i'm sure this won't be his last offer.

[ QUOTE ]

I would say at least 50% of them never went to a combine in highschool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be willing to be you are wrong by a large margin...

[ QUOTE ]

Don't mean to jump in the argument. But i've been to quite a few combines and camps, and i've talked to several D-1 coaches. They all tell you the exact same thing "do your best at this combine and it will help, but what we are really looking for is how you perform on the field, this combine won't break you if you don't do well, it's all about game night." So yes combines help camps help but they are to get a good player on the map for coaches. Combines don't show you're a great player or an awful player, look at some of the best players in the NFL right now. I would say at least 50% of them never went to a combine in highschool. But congrats to matt i'm sure this won't be his last offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.....for example...I myself would probably perform phenomenally well at the combine...but am not a very good football player.

(I'm being sarchastic, so don't even start the criticism)