Time for the Richlands people to cough up the cash....

SW_VA_boy

Maybe I'm a little dumb to this, but what can Richlands pay Mance to stay? I thought the coaches salary was set by the school board, therefore, its not like they can offer big money like Alabama and Saban, for example.

Just curious. What can they offer?

Didn't Richlands run a totally different offense than Giles?

If they did, and whoever comes in trys something other than the single wing, they'll have to do some re-decorating in Giles county, it's all they've known there for 30 years. I'd be VERY surprised if David Witt doesn't try for this job.

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm a little dumb to this, but what can Richlands pay Mance to stay? I thought the coaches salary was set by the school board, therefore, its not like they can offer big money like Alabama and Saban, for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing..it's not really case of being able to offer him more money.

For whatever it's worth, the average teacher's salary in Tazewell County is basically the same as in Giles County.

[ QUOTE ]

It's got to be tempting.

[/ QUOTE ]It would make sense if he left, but Richlands is probably the best coaching job to have around here. All their players are dedicated to getting better, they have pretty good talent coming back, and not to mention all the new facilities they're getting.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing..it's not really case of being able to offer him more money.

For whatever it's worth, the average teacher's salary in Tazewell County is basically the same as in Giles County.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong...depends where you're at on the salary scale...teachers in Tazewell Co. are about $3,000 to $5,000 BELOW Giles County until they hit the 20 year mark, then it evens out. Have you been reading the paper the past couple of years??? Tazewell County Pay Scale is ridiculously low.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong...depends where you're at on the salary scale...teachers in Tazewell Co. are about $3,000 to $5,000 BELOW Giles County until they hit the 20 year mark, then it evens out. Have you been reading the paper the past couple of years??? Tazewell County Pay Scale is ridiculously low.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that the pay varies based on different lengths of tenure. I was going by Virginia DOE info on just the AVERAGE teacher's salary, which show the two to be almost equal. I'm pretty sure Mance has been in the system for at least 15 years.

Could be that the coaching supplements are higher in one system or the other. I think I read somewhere that head HS football coaches in Taz Co get a $6k supplement.

From Tell Tazewell County website, December 4, 2007:

IT'S YOUR MONEY

Gathering local government salaries from across Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee was not only an arduous exercise of fiscal oversight for this newspaper, but also showed that localities routinely fail to follow open records laws.

Most of the data in this project are from the year 2006-07 and might not account for pay raises, employee turnover or constitutional officers who lost re-election bids. Employees who earn under $10,000 a year were omitted because the Virginia Freedom of Information Act sets that threshold for public disclosure. The data were released by cities, counties, school systems and towns in Virginia and Tennessee and could have changed slightly from the time of release until now.

William Gregory Mance Teacher $35,683.00

Douglas Eugene Marrs Teacher $52,030.00

[ QUOTE ]

IT'S YOUR MONEY

Gathering local government salaries from across Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee was not only an arduous exercise of fiscal oversight for this newspaper, but also showed that localities routinely fail to follow open records laws.

Most of the data in this project are from the year 2006-07 and might not account for pay raises, employee turnover or constitutional officers who lost re-election bids. Employees who earn under $10,000 a year were omitted because the Virginia Freedom of Information Act sets that threshold for public disclosure. The data were released by cities, counties, school systems and towns in Virginia and Tennessee and could have changed slightly from the time of release until now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do your numbers include coaching stipends? Does this also reflect that Doug is also the Athletic Director at Graham? Also, Doug has been with the Tazewell Co. schools system for over 25 years...how long has Mance been an employee in Tazewell Co.?

If you look at the Tazewell Co. Schools pay scale, you will see that there are big jumps after 17 and 20 years. So Doug's pay is his base salary. Coaching supplements are not included in those salaries.

They weren't my numbers, I just copied them from the other website. I just thought it was interesting to see where Mance was on the payscale and show what the potential would be for staying in Tazewell County (Doug just happened to be a good comparison). I would assume it would account for all of the income since it states it was there salary for 2006-07 but I really have no idea.

[ QUOTE ]

They weren't my numbers, I just copied them from the other website. I just thought it was interesting to see where Mance was on the payscale and show what the potential would be for staying in Tazewell County (Doug just happened to be a good comparison). I would assume it would account for all of the income since it states it was there salary for 2006-07 but I really have no idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you post a link or PM me? I'd like to see that.

[ QUOTE ]

IT'S YOUR MONEY

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug Marrs has been teaching a lot longer than Greg Mance...the salary scale in Tazewell County jumps up at the 20 year bench mark....