Richlands Football on the skidz

kickballstud44

new field, new field house, new uniforms and cleats, new season ticket holders......and we can't beat a single A school? Have we fallen to the ranks of the middle of the road schools. (Everyone knows who they are) Only our pride can bring us back. Will the storm ever brew again? Can we keep the T-dogs at bay? Are we going to win the district? This had all the makings of a great year, can I get my money back from Meet the Blues?

Everyone has their up and down years. We have been a huge powerhouse for the last 4 years. We are alittle on the young side and may take a few years to rebuild. Even some of the greatest programs have rebuilding years like salem, etc.. We just need to get our offense going, they looked very very sloppy on "O" and the defense didnt look as expected.

I think it's way too early to panic about Richlands being on the downhill slide. It was just one game against a very good football team regardless of their A classification. I think Gate City could fare well in the SWD personally. Even though it is nice to start the season off with a win and win every game, the Gate City game didn't carry huge implications. For what it's worth, I look for Richlands to give Bluefield, Graham, Tazewell, and whoever else on their schedule all very tough contests and I fully expect them to be in the hunt when it's all said and done in the SWD.

new field, new field house, new uniforms and cleats, new season ticket holders......and we can't beat a single A school? Have we fallen to the ranks of the middle of the road schools. (Everyone knows who they are) Only our pride can bring us back. Will the storm ever brew again? Can we keep the T-dogs at bay? Are we going to win the district? This had all the makings of a great year, can I get my money back from Meet the Blues?

fool...what does it matter if its a Single A team...people like you make me sick..sound like a bandwagon jumper

I agree that it is too early to panic. But I was looking at the enrollments on the Department of Education website, and unless it is a misprint, GC had 709 students in grades 9-12 last fall. How are they single A? Last fall Richlands had an enrollment of 776, Grahams was 513, and Tazewell was at 673. So they arent that small of a single A school.

true they are a single A school but a really good single A school that most of the time beats AA schools

depth of a football team and good coaching is what really counts in the long run.remember there is only 11 players on the field no matter what you are A,AA OR AAA.DEPTH is what counts.if you have 35 players on your team and 20 of them can play their position well,then you have depth.when you have players going both ways they will tire.

i agree that it is too early to panic. But i was looking at the enrollments on the department of education website, and unless it is a misprint, gc had 709 students in grades 9-12 last fall. How are they single a? Last fall richlands had an enrollment of 776, grahams was 513, and tazewell was at 673. So they arent that small of a single a school.

Gate City did not have 709 kids enrolled last year.

More like 665....LOL..Gretna has 700!

CMD Enrollment:

Lebanon - 575

Gate City - 665

John Battle - 479

Lee High - 750

Va High - 606

Edited by FIGHTN_HOKIE

Richlands just has to worry about winning the SWD, not every game...I think going in to the year they knew they might drop a few games with the younger kids on the team...but if you are Richlands, you focus on your district games and just try to get better each week so that you are rolling at the end of the season when it counts...do what you have to do to make it in to the playoffs and hope for the best.

Richlands just has to worry about winning the SWD, not every game...I think going in to the year they knew they might drop a few games with the younger kids on the team...but if you are Richlands, you focus on your district games and just try to get better each week so that you are rolling at the end of the season when it counts...do what you have to do to make it in to the playoffs and hope for the best.

True Lance, you win your district and you are in, and thats where it starts.

Gate City did not have 709 kids enrolled last year.

More like 665....LOL..Gretna has 700!

CMD Enrollment:

Lebanon - 575

Gate City - 665

John Battle - 479

Lee High - 750

Va High - 606

Alright, well the Department of Education has it listed like this :

9th Grade: 199

10th Grade: 184

11th Grade: 164

12th Grade: 162

199+184+164+162=709

They also have the following numbers:

Lebanon-558

John S.Battle-683

Lee High-803

Virginia High-702

That was as of September 2007. But that just comes straight from the Virginia Department of Education website...sooo. Hers is the link*:

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/VDOE/dbpubs/Fall_Membership/2007/readme.htm

*You will need Excel to view the spread sheet with all of the schools enrollments.

Right, I wasnt really trying to question their single A status, I was more trying to say they arent the much smaller the Richlands. Not that it really matters.

But Fightn Hokies numbers are a little off. Ecspecially with JSB and Va High.

Gate City's 21-16-1 all-time against Richlands. Not sure why it's shocking that they won. GC had 18 starters returning, while Richlands lost quite a bit. A couple of years ago, people were saying "Gate City's done". Amazingly after making it to Salem last year, those people disappeared. Richlands will be fine. They looked pretty good passing the ball late in the game. They'll come around.

Gate City's 21-16-1 all-time against Richlands. Not sure why it's shocking that they won. GC had 18 starters returning, while Richlands lost quite a bit. A couple of years ago, people were saying "Gate City's done". Amazingly after making it to Salem last year, those people disappeared. Richlands will be fine. They looked pretty good passing the ball late in the game. They'll come around.

Gate City will be back in Salem this season as well. Most of the young people on this board do not know the history of Gate City football. GC has the finest football tradition in Virginia. It dates back years to the days of the great Harry Fry. A loss to any team hurts, but no need to panic or hang your heads Blues. Gate City is an outstanding program.

Schools around here are not big enough to be powerhouses every year. They all are up and down at times. Ya just gotta make hay when the sun is shining, and ya gotta have some rain to make that hay grow.