McCain Picks Palin as VP

tbgfan

McCain picks Alaska Gov. Palin as running mate

By LIZ SIDOTI

Associated Press Writer

Friday, August 29, 2008

DENVER — John McCain tapped little-known Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice presidential running mate, two senior campaign officials told The Associated Press on Friday.

A formal announcement was expected within a few hours at a campaign rally in swing-state Ohio.

• Window on Washington Palin, 44, is a self-styled hockey mom and political reformer who has been governor of her state less than two years.

Palin’s selection was a stunning surprise, as McCain passed over many other better known prospects, some of whom had been the subject of intense speculation for weeks or months.

At 44, she is a generation younger that Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware, who is Barack Obama’s running mate on the Democratic ticket.

She is three years Obama’s junior, as well  and McCain has made much in recent weeks of Obama’s relative lack of experience in foreign policy and defense matters.

Palin flew overnight to an airport in Ohio near Dayton, and even as she awaited her formal introduction, close aides said they had believed she was at home in Alaska.

She is a former mayor of Wasilla who became governor of her state in 2006 after ousting a governor of her own party in a primary and then dispatching a former governor in the general election.

.....detecting some sexism here??????? I never heard of this candidate before today but listening to her after being introduced by McCain.....she's a breath of fresh air compared to the Washington crowd. The Obama "speak" gurus have already issued a statement demeaning her small town beginnings.....hmmmm....not a smart move.

She nixed the Washington crowd by saying that Alaska would seek alternative fuel themselves .....they're building a large natural gas pipeline. I think she will surprise alot of ppl in the days to come.....I will reserve judgement.

It's just like a game of football.....until you line up against each other....it's hype.

also...forgot to add...that now even if McCain wins, we will still have a Bush in the White House

0_o

(yeah I know...lol...but, at least you heard it here first)

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I havent been able to see much of her lately because of the festivities the last 2 nights, but I do know this. She challenges the Republican party when they go wrong, and she challenges the democrats when they do as well.

If anyone wants a bipartisan candidate, she is the one. She may have a lot of conservative values, but she does not care who you when it comes to party affiliation.

Nothing wrong with going back to what founded this country and made it great, and that was the ordinary people trying to carve a life out in it. Not make a career off it.

Sarah Palin "hit it out of the park tonight" with her speech. Showed she's not afraid of the liberal media or the elite Washington bureaucats. She took all that they had thrown at her these last five days and passed the "initiation with flying colors". I especially liked the part where she said Obama had written two memoirs, but had not written one piece of major legislation. With her speech, she made Obama look like "a junior community organizer" instead of a presidential candiate.

Sarah Palin "hit it out of the park tonight" with her speech. Showed she's not afraid of the liberal media or the elite Washington bureaucats. She took all that they had thrown at her these last five days and passed the "initiation with flying colors". I especially liked the part where she said Obama had written two memoirs, but had not written one piece of major legislation. With her speech, she made Obama look like "a junior community organizer" instead of a presidential candiate.

Agreed. 100%. I love her excitement. This is shaping up to be a very, very amazing race.

I'm getting tired of hearing "Maverick" as well...that's another thing getting on my nerves...lmao.

Did you see Huckabee though? Best speech so far this year I thought...how the Republicans let this guy slip away is beyond me.

I'm getting tired of hearing "Maverick" as well...that's another thing getting on my nerves...lmao.

Did you see Huckabee though? Best speech so far this year I thought...how the Republicans let this guy slip away is beyond me.

Lance, you are 100% right-Huckabee is definitely a statesman and would have made an excellent president (and may still be a future president). One thing I admire about Huckabee, is his enthusiasm for the McCain/ Palin ticket and backing them totally. If you trust Huckabee and would have voted for him, why not trust his judgment in whom he endorses? Some may question McCain's position on issues, but I think you would be hard pressed to find many who would question his selection of Sarah Palin as his VP (of course you have to exclude the liberal media--they didn't want anyone who could help the Republican ticket.) I think his selection of Palin, speaks of his ability to recognize needs and make the right decision. Sarah gave life to her son, Trig, in April and brought new life to the Republican party in September, remarkable woman!!