Bluefield-Graham post-game discussion.

BeaverHokie

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at that end of the field and Cole was in the endzone. I thought that you couldn't fumble or be stripped of a ball while in the endzone, that once the ball crossed the plain it was a touchdown. Cole was on the bottom of the pile, his whole body in the endzone and after the clocked had ran out while the refs searched around, a Graham player came up with the ball from being down in the mess as Bluefield players and fans celebrated. I was at a loss for words.

Either way, the game shouldn't have come down to this. FAR TOO MANY Bluefield penalties hindered them. If I guess correctly there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 false starts. Bad snaps didn't help either. I was also surprised to not see the flexbone offense at all. Bluefield had ran that in their scrimmages and at practices and had been successful so it caught me very off guard when they didn't use it. The Beavers hurt themselves.

I thought Graham played very well. Their defense played well against the Beavers spread attack and their offensive line looked much improved. Although I still think they have some things to work on up front, I think they performed a whole lot better this week than they did against C'Burg. Kyle and Dominique once again seemed to make their own runs. I remember in the 4th quarter, I believe, Harris took a hand off to the right, completely redirected and made about a 9 yard run out of it. He, Lane and Scott all played very well.

Congrats to the G-Men and the Beavers on a well played game. This is why this rivalry in ranked #8 in the country.

GetMoney55...

You've got to be the most amazingly, outstanding being in the entire Universe...you are always in the right place at the right time and see everything perfectly, you know everything there is to know about everything and everyone that has ever walked the face of the Earth.

You ARE my hero...I wish I could be you...know all, see all...thank you for participating on this forum...it is a true honor to have you on board...:rolleyes:

i myself did not listen to the game but one thing i derive from all the post is no matter how the game ended there are some sore losers on here tonight, and many who had said blfd would blow graham out. that did not happen. in all of the years of graham, blfd games both teams have had their share of bad calls that cost them a game. so please get over it. if blfd had kicked the field goal it would be over and blfd may have made it or not. point is calls go both ways. if blfd had blown graham out like some said this would be mute. graham played a great game and so did blfd. give credit where credit is due. unless you want instant replay in highschool football then you take it and go on. quit crying and blaming the refs. all you had to do was kick the ball and then leave no doubt. they took the chance of running the ball. and who is to say the guy did not have control of the ball while going over the line. if he did not have total control then no td. that happens also. grow up and let the kids enjoy the win and let blfd move past this game and head towards hopefully another title in wv.as far as the trophy and bragging rights i feel that if blfd had won some of you would be saying who has the trophy and bragging rights just as some from graham are saying.

For anyone to say that everyone saw it......then why didn't the officials? I didn't care who won, just always go for a good game. The last call , or lack there of was ridiculous, but, who's to say there wasn't a fumble. If Cole did cross and hangs on to the ball, Blfd wins. I hate that it ended with controversey, but Blfd gave the game away in other aspects....fumbles, line play, poor play calling.

I didn't see the game but I've spoken to several people who were there and they said Bluefield got screwed on the last call. Cole lunged forward and was in the end zone, as several Bluefield players signaled TD. The officials let the rest of the clock run down while standing there, then took off for the dressing rooms after a Graham player emerged from the pile with the ball and took off running downfield. Rather disappointing to say the least.

I would offer my congratulations but I'm not really sure whether to congratulate Graham or the officials for the victory.

I was at the end of the field where the play took place. It was a very close call. Cole wasn't clearly "in" the endzone. There was a big mass of humanity at the line of scrimmage. He was very very close, but I'm not sure that he even had the ball when he tried to lunge accross the line. It appeard to come out as he was moving forward. But he surely wasn't clearly in the endzone and I don't know how anybody could say otherwise. But when the ref's uncovered everybody, he didn't even have the ball, I think that's why they couldn't call him in. The refs never signaled touchdown, there was a ref standing right on the goal -line to see if the ball crossed the line. I think the officials made the right call. I didn't see him cross the line with the ball, there was a big pile of humanity and when it was uncovered, the ball wasn't even in the pile. As you said, a Graham player had the ball (and that was an excellent joby by that young man, to grab or strip the ball at the bottom of the pile). Either way it happened, if it was a touchdown or not, I don't think any of the refs ever saw the ball cross the plane, so it's the right call by the officials and a great play by the Graham defense.

Edited by futbolking

For anyone to say that everyone saw it......then why didn't the officials? I didn't care who won, just always go for a good game. The last call , or lack there of was ridiculous, but, who's to say there wasn't a fumble. If Cole did cross and hangs on to the ball, Blfd wins. I hate that it ended with controversey, but Blfd gave the game away in other aspects....fumbles, line play, poor play calling.

You can't fumble in the end zone, if the ball breaks the plane and then the ball carrier fumbles it doesn't matter - still a TD. The question is whether he fumbled before crossing over if he did?

Oh well, congrats to Graham.

Also, I think Harris had some really bad leg cramps. He was running the ball extremely well and was able to turn the corner on Bluefield several times. Somebody commented that he should've seen more carries. I think the legs cramps limited him last night. He could hardly walk at times. I wouuld've loved to see what he could've done, had he gotten a few more touches.

The SWD will be interesting this year. Should be an interesting matchup in a couple of weeks with the Hurricanes. Graham shouldn't take Marion lightly. I believe Marion to be improved from last season, but they will have a huge challenge in this Graham team, obviously Graham is tremendously improved.

With all due respect Graham has a much tougher schedule and road to a state championship than bluefield would ever have during most seasons. Va competition a little more stiff.

\

trophy and bragging rights?? the only REAL trophies that concern you are in Bluefields trophy case and they say STATE CHAMPIONS..oh, and there is 9 of them! theres your bragging rights!

You can't fumble in the end zone, if the ball breaks the plane and then the ball carrier fumbles it doesn't matter - still a TD. The question is whether he fumbled before crossing over if he did?

Oh well, congrats to Graham.

It was an extremely close call, I think that's why all the controversy. I was at the end of the field where the last play happened and I couldn't tell if he fumbled before he crossed the line or after. I don't think any of the refs clearly saw it either, that's why they went to the pile to see who recovered the ball.

I talked to Coach Simon after he had went into the refs locker room. They told him that they never saw Will break the plane of the endzone. I am not arguing that call, but the referees made no call. The head ref walked up to the pile, didn't dig around or anything, and him and his buddies scurried to the safety of their little locker room. When Will Cole crossed the goal line with the ball, Bluefield's side went crazy and Graham's side just died... 11,000 people saw Will score that touchdown, but the refs didn't? I was more angry that the refs didn't make an official call on the play. I was waiting and the next thing I know, there they go running off the field.

But GetMoney is right, we should have never been in that position. We lost 21 points because of dropped passes (which I can understand) and a horrific block in the back on Patterson's TD return that was literally 30 yards behind the play. The offensive and defensive lines have a lot of improving to do this season. I saw some good and bad things out of each side, but Graham could just run wherever they wanted to.

It was a helluva game and may both teams have a great season and may God bless them in all they do.

GO BEAVERS!!!!

Man, am I ever looking forward to this for the rest of my life.

One win gets that kind of reaction from you? Ummm, okay. As much joy as Bluefield has had from beating Graham all those years, that's still not as big a deal as winning all nine of those state championships, though. :)

One win gets that kind of reaction from you? Ummm, okay. As much joy as Bluefield has had from beating Graham all those years, that's still not as big a deal as winning all nine of those state championships, though. :)

Remember they're only WV state titles, so that's like half of a title in VA.

I talked to Coach Simon after he had went into the refs locker room. They told him that they never saw Will break the plane of the endzone. I am not arguing that call, but the referees made no call. The head ref walked up to the pile, didn't dig around or anything, and him and his buddies scurried to the safety of their little locker room. When Will Cole crossed the goal line with the ball, Bluefield's side went crazy and Graham's side just died... 11,000 people saw Will score that touchdown, but the refs didn't? I was more angry that the refs didn't make an official call on the play. I was waiting and the next thing I know, there they go running off the field.

If the refs never saw Will break the plain, why would they make any call? That is not standard procedure. The standard procedure is to clean up the pile, find the ball and spot it. Time ran out in the process. Freddy knew this when he called the play. If Will did not score the game was over. The officials were on the spot and made the right call. In my mind it was a bad call by your coach. You got there by dinking and dunking with the pass, you had time for at least 2 passes on first down, and with Cole at the helm, I would have felt more than confident in him throwing down there. The officials did not beat you, the mistakes you made beat you. Sorry if you don't like that but the officials had nothing to do with it. Anything else is an excuse.

You know what son..let the beavers play in VA i bet they would only have 3 titles am i right or am i right? VA is a bit stiffer boy

and another thing is when bluefield shutsout 8 opponnets then ill give them props in WV but until then..naw...remember this is VA son 8 shutouts 1 in WV and 7 in VA!

I just want to throw this out there..

Remember the people that said Cody Wassum and Marcus Patterson hadn't proven themselves? That they hadn't done anything impressive, nothing worth noting. Wassum and Patterson had great games last night and I was very sad to see it end in a loss. You could ask the Graham special teams if Marcus hasn't proven himself. Or you could just ask the Graham quarterback if Wassum hasn't proven himself, as this marks the second straight year Cody put him on his back and struggling to get up. I thought Cody was going to rip his jersey in half when the refs just walked off the field.

Yes, GMAN, I was right down there on that end of the field. A lot of people wish they could be like me, so I guess you're just the newest to the list. I know what I saw along with roughly 11,000 other people. I am in no way trying to be a sore loser. If a team I support loses in sports, I can accept it. However, the officials got this one wrong. Bluefield just needs to look to next week for their game with Princeton.

"If the refs never saw Will break the plain, why would they make any call?"

If they didn't see him fumble the ball, as noone else seems to have either, and they didn't even at least call a fumble did they, and the ball ended up in the endzone, as it did, then obviously the qb carried the ball into the endzone now didn't he.

Exactly! Thanks for saying it crybaby! Come on lets hear some more excuses.......

I guess when you've only got 20 some victories in the 80 plus games of the rivalry, you'll take a victory any way you can. Controversial or not.

If they didn't see him fumble the ball, as noone else seems to have either, and they didn't even at least call a fumble did they, and the ball ended up in the endzone, as it did, then obviously the qb carried the ball into the endzone now didn't he.

They don't have to call a fumble, they have to make the call on the touchdown. That is all that matters, and they didn't everything else is irrelevant. And the bottom line is this, you guys, with the exception of BR talked s**t all week and you lost. Now you are crying and making excuses. At least if we lost I would have congratulated you and wished you well, much like I did last week when Tazewell beat George Wythe after I was all over the dawgs. You can't even do that.Stay classy beavers..............

I'm taking the side of the refs on this, but of course if the tables were turned, I'm sure I'd be on the other side. That one play at the end of this game will make this game a classic and the outcome will be argued for years. Personally, I didn't see him cross the plane with control of the ball. But I honestly couldn't tell if it was or was not a touchdown, very tough call to make.

I guess when you've only got 20 some victories in the 80 plus games of the rivalry, you'll take a victory any way you can. Controversial or not.

Say what you want it doesn't matter.Because on August 30, 2008 all the beaver ghost of your great grandpappys beavers couldn't keep you from being what you are today. And that is a bunch of crybaby losers........

It appeard that he lost the ball as he was trying to cross. It was right at the line, couldn't honestly tell if he had crossed yet or not, it ws that close.

They don't have to call a fumble, they have to make the call on the touchdown. That is all that matters, and they didn't everything else is irrelevant. And the bottom line is this, you guys, with the exception of BR talked s**t all week and you lost. Now you are crying and making excuses. At least if we lost I would have congratulated you and wished you well, much like I did last week when Tazewell beat George Wythe after I was all over the dawgs. You can't even do that.Stay classy beavers..............

you're not getting a simple point,

bogeavers wrote "I talked to Coach Simon after he had went into the refs locker room. They told him that they never saw Will break the plane of the endzone."

the ball ended up in the endzone, if they didn't see a fumble, it's a score, because obviously the ball got into the endzone, that counts as a score, ...the ball going over that imaginary line.

show me a post of mine where I talked any trash beofre the game, if you're going to accuse me of it. Read the last post in the graham bluefield topic below, report back, tell me I wrote there. Could you possibly be this "right' about the last play to?

you're not getting a simple point,

bogeavers wrote "I talked to Coach Simon after he had went into the refs locker room. They told him that they never saw Will break the plane of the endzone."

the ball ended up in the endzone, if they didn't see a fumble, it's a score, because obviously the ball got into the endzone, that counts as a score, ...the ball going over that imaginary line.

show me a post of mine where I talked any trash beofre the game, if you're going to accuse me of it. Read the last post in the graham bluefield topic below, report back, tell me I wrote there. Could you possibly be this "right' about the last play to?

We don't know. You,I, Freddy Simon, the kid who said that. The only ones whos job it was to watch it and judge are the officials. Not some biased kid who said this or that. Impartial referees said he did not cross the plain with the ball. And sorry for lumping you in with people like sources and the others. I am just tired of hearing it. We won, no excuses.