Who are the top boys basketball players in the southwest district?

mattnoe18

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tazewell played East Ridge better than I expected last night (ER is is picked about 6th in the 15th Region in KY so they are middle of the pack but still talented). KY ball is just a lot faster and a lot more physical. Their big man is just a sophomore but their guards are super quick.

Tazewell will be fine but they are going to have to find some depth....

IDK about calling the Pauley boy Tazewell's all time leading scorer....Thats what the announcer said last night when they stopped the game. He's only played 2 games at Tazewell? I agree with letting points carry over in order to reach the 1000 point mark but they shouldnt carry over to break school records....

The Pauley boy has already scored his 1000 points last year as a Junior. His points carried over to THS which gives him the all-time scoring record in THS and before the season is over he should go down as the all time high scorer in the County,which right now is held by Mark Little, who was also from Pocahontas. Despite what you might call it, it is what it is.

The Pauley boy has already scored his 1000 points last year as a Junior. His points carried over to THS which gives him the all-time scoring record in THS and before the season is over he should go down as the all time high scorer in the County,which right now is held by Mark Little, who was also from Pocahontas. Despite what you might call it, it is what it is.

But its wrong...

if anyone wants to complain about it then they should've supported the decision to keep Pocahontas open ;)

I'm not taking anything away from him, he's a great basketball player but how many of his points have been scored as a player for Tazewell High School???

Actually Brandon Pauley is the all time leading male scorer -- the all time record is currently held by a female -- Brandon should have no problem reaching the all time male or female record -- he is less than 50 points away -- and she is supportive of him and him breaking her record. She understands that he had no control over him moving to THS. I am sure that he would love to be setting records at Pocy, but the powers that be took that opportunity away from him. He has made the transition to Tazewell and has been embraced -- not only for his athletic achievement, but for the person that he is. Tazewell is proud of Brandon and applaud him in his achievements. When the season is over I am positive that he will have a ball placed in the trophy case with his total points -- and hopefully some little boy or girl will look at that ball and say I want to break his record -- The Brandon Pauley that I know would applaud that student athlete and his/her accomplishment when his record is broken. True athletes have respect for the achievements of other atheletes -they realize the work and commitment that it takes to reach goals.

The record he broke was that of Calvin Cockrel [1214 points]-- who played for THS in the mid 70's. This record held until 2005 when it was broken by one point and then that record was broken the following year 2006 -

I have been honored to watch several of these records be set and broke and hope to be there when Brandon sets the new mark.

I really don't know why anyone would question him being the all time leading scorer if one the current record holder is ok with it and two he had no control over his school closing -- it is not like he went looking for a school that has a record which he felt he could achieve the current record --

I'm not taking anything away from him, he's a great basketball player but how many of his points have been scored as a player for Tazewell High School???

Well what do you suggest they do with the other thousand points he's scored? Throw em away??

But its wrong...

How is it wrong. First you shut down our school now you want to strip him of something that hes worked his ass off for. I see nothing wrong with his points being carried over. And he'll end up beating Marks scoring record and then it doesn't matter which school hes the scoring leader because he'll lead everyone in the whole county.

Its wrong because he hasn't scored all those points for Tazewell. I'm not trying to take his career point total away from him but he isn't TAZEWELL'S all-time leading scorer.

How about this...he has scored the most points of any basketball player to attend Tazewell High School.

If you call him "Tazewell's all-time leading scorer" then you better put one of these, *, by his name...

Its wrong because he hasn't scored all those points for Tazewell. I'm not trying to take his career point total away from him but he isn't TAZEWELL'S all-time leading scorer.

How about this...he has scored the most points of any basketball player to attend Tazewell High School.

If you call him "Tazewell's all-time leading scorer" then you better put one of these, *, by his name...

nice save, gman. but, it is what it is. he's put up the numbers. and if the schoolboard, er i mean cookie johnson wouldn't have been such a nasty "see you next tuesday," he'd still be putting up the numbers at phs. as it is, he was forced to choose a new school. that decision was out of his control. he made it, and though some may disagree because he didn't make every basket for ths, i appreciate the gesture made by the ths admin. it's them not only saying (so it'll sound pretty for the papers, i.e. brenda lawson) but showing that they accept the phs kids who were left without a school, without an identity.

this same gesture would never been made to a former phs kid who chose ghs, and that's fact.

Edited by littlraskul
addition

Well then, maybe he should be dubbed as "Pocy's all-time leading scorer if the school hadn't been closed by Cookie Johnson".

As I said, I'm not taking anything away from the kid...he is a great basketball player...he just isn't "Tazewell's all-time leading scorer"...and as you said, it is what it is...

Why I have sentiment for something he isn't??? He has played what, three basketball games at Tazewell High School??? How can you give the title of "Tazewell's all-time leading scorer" to someone who has only played THREE games for the school??? That's the point...

Why I have sentiment for something he isn't??? He has played what, three basketball games at Tazewell High School??? How can you give the title of "Tazewell's all-time leading scorer" to someone who has only played THREE games for the school??? That's the point...

He is what he is "Tazewell's all time leading male player". You need to get used to hearing about it - because soon he will actually be Tazewell's all time leading male or female scorer-- and the game will stop again and he will get the recognition he deserves. I really don't know why someone from Graham is so worried or upset about this -- I do extend the invitation to you to come by THS in the Spring to see Brandon Pauley's ball setting in the trophy case beside all the other 1000+ point plus ballers --

He did not have the luxary of chosing where he scored these points -- he was forced to leave his school and transfer -- he did not go looking for a record that he could break== Soon, however he will hold the county record - so I guess it doesn't matter where he would be going to school.

By the way -- who holds Graham's record and what are the numbers

nice save, gman. but, it is what it is. he's put up the numbers. and if the schoolboard, er i mean cookie johnson wouldn't have been such a nasty "see you next tuesday," he'd still be putting up the numbers at phs. as it is, he was forced to choose a new school. that decision was out of his control. he made it, and though some may disagree because he didn't make every basket for ths, i appreciate the gesture made by the ths admin. it's them not only saying (so it'll sound pretty for the papers, i.e. brenda lawson) but showing that they accept the phs kids who were left without a school, without an identity.

this same gesture would never been made to a former phs kid who chose ghs, and that's fact.

he wouldnt break grahams scoring record so it dont matter

Im pretty sure Brandon would. If he doesn't get hurt he will have the county record. Even though all his points didn't come in a Tazewell uniform his record will count on Tazewell because there is no more Pocy. All the Pocy kids had a choice to make. Graham or Tazewell. I heard Graham booed them and most everyone chose Tazewell. Anyway Brandon is a great athlete. He has a smoothe shot. To be forced to transfer schools and change teams and team mates is tough. Brandon deserves whatever he gets.

again, another missed point. it's not YOUR sentiment because, believe it or not, not everything in tazewell county revolves around graham high school, nor should it.

now, moving on: the point is that when pocy kids were forced to choose between tazewell and graham, both principals and the superintendant and school board reps said the pocy kids would be more than welcome wherever they decided, even though yes, phs kids were booed by ghs students when they visited graham high school. some phs students chose to attend ths, others chose ghs. the point is that while no, brandon didn't score the majority of his points for the bulldogs, they are treating him as if he did. to them, there is no distinction. ths has gone above and beyond to ensure a smooth transition for these kids who the rug was pulled out from under, and they have accepted these kids without distinction, without a tag or an asterisk. to them, brandon is a bulldog, just as if he had been from day one. and, as a phs alum, i applaud the efforts of tazewell high school, even though there are folks who understandably disagree with what they are doing. strangely, though, the folks disagreeing on this board have nothing to do with tazewell high school, which only further illustrates my point. again, the point is not whether brandon would break ghs's record, the point is that hypothetically, if he did, there's zero percent chance that ghs would treat him as he is being treated by tazewell.

OK then, let's say that a QB in the Canadian Football League passes for 60,000 yards in his career. And, let's say, the Canadian Football League goes bankrupt and ceases operations. The QB then signs on with an NFL team and in his first eight games passes for, let's say, 2000 yards, giving him a career total of 62,000 passing yards. Does he become the NFL's all-time leading passer since he has surpassed Brett Favre's 61,655 yards??? Ummmm, NO, he doesn't. (Note: The numbers used in this example were based on Favre's passing yardage at the end of 2007...he has since tacked on another 3052 yards to increase his total to 64,707.)

Let's say, Sadaharu Oh, who hit 868 HRs in the Japanese league, signed with the Dodgers and played one season and hit another 20 HRs. Would that make Oh the all-time HR leader in Major League Baseball with a career total of 888 HRs???? Once again, NO.

So how can you say that Pualey is Tazewell's all-time leading scorer when he hasn't even scored 100 points for them??? You can't...

BTW...one last note...Warren Moon, who played in the CFL from 1978-1983 and in the NFL from 1984-2000, threw for over 70,000 yards in his professional career (21,228 in the CFL and 49,325 in the NFL)...he isn't the NFL's all-time leading passer even though he threw for almost 6,000 yards more in his career than Favre...

IT IS WHAT IT IS...

again, another missed point. it's not YOUR sentiment because, believe it or not, not everything in tazewell county revolves around graham high school, nor should it.

now, moving on: the point is that when pocy kids were forced to choose between tazewell and graham, both principals and the superintendant and school board reps said the pocy kids would be more than welcome wherever they decided, even though yes, phs kids were booed by ghs students when they visited graham high school. some phs students chose to attend ths, others chose ghs. the point is that while no, brandon didn't score the majority of his points for the bulldogs, they are treating him as if he did. to them, there is no distinction. ths has gone above and beyond to ensure a smooth transition for these kids who the rug was pulled out from under, and they have accepted these kids without distinction, without a tag or an asterisk. to them, brandon is a bulldog, just as if he had been from day one. and, as a phs alum, i applaud the efforts of tazewell high school, even though there are folks who understandably disagree with what they are doing. strangely, though, the folks disagreeing on this board have nothing to do with tazewell high school, which only further illustrates my point. again, the point is not whether brandon would break ghs's record, the point is that hypothetically, if he did, there's zero percent chance that ghs would treat him as he is being treated by tazewell.

every thing you just said is absolutely correct. especially the last sentence.

how much is it? if mark little was the leading scorer in tazewell county history, and brandon will most likely beat his record, then why wouldn't he break graham's scoring record?

i doubt anyone that plays basketball for graham will break any records. if brandon would've chose to go to graham he would probably only score 6-8 points a game like everyone else...and sit the bench 3/4'ths of the game since carlock feels it necessary not to play his best players.