Scores and Updates for Week # 6 - (9/26/08)

Lance

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marion 27

Grundy 6

Final

Grundy inside the 10 yd line 3 times and came away with 0 points. That was the difference in the game. Marion played a good game tonight gotta give them due credit. Wave should have and could have had a better showing than they did.

Marion 27

Grundy 6

Final

Grundy inside the 10 yd line 3 times and came away with 0 points. That was the difference in the game. Marion played a good game tonight gotta give them due credit. Wave should have and could have had a better showing than they did.

I listen to parts of the game on the radio. From what it sounded like Marion was wearing out our D all night getting 5 yard runs then a 9 yard run and things like that but from what I head Grundy did do a good job on not giveing up any huge runs for the most part. Last week thats what was killing them and at haysi in the first game of season, giving up to many big plays. Grundy redzone offense didnt sound to good tonight alos a few turnovers sounded like it hurt them. Strange, our offense has been clicking pretty good so far this year and our D has been killing us giving up 30 points or more and every lost so far this year...It seem to be the exact oppiste tonite.

Regions C, D & IV (missing Pat-Galax)

- - - > Region IV

- - > Southwest

Richlands 14, Tazewell 0

Marion 27, Grundy 6

- > non-district

Honaker 20, Abingdon 14

Carroll Co. 35, William Byrd 26

Lord Botetourt 20, Blacksburg 17

Christiansburg 37, PH-Roanoke 6

Salem 23, William Fleming 19

Patrick Co. 32, Galax 6 (CORRECTED)

NC 2A #1 Reidsville 49, Magna Vista 6

(2nd defending state champ in 2 weeks for MV)

> > > SATURDAY

Halifax Co. @ Martinsville, 1:00

A #1 Gretna @ Graham, 4:00

> > > MONDAY, 7:00

A #6 Floyd Co. @ Tunstall (HC)

AA #6 Bassett @ McMichael (NC) (both are 4-0)

Hidden Valley @ Northside

> OPEN - #3 Pulaski Co., Cave Spring

- - - > Region D

- - > Lonesome Pine

#3 Clintwood 42, Powell Valley 6

Pound 20, Appalachia 16

- - > Black Diamond

Haysi 49, Twin Valley 7

- - > Clinch Mtn.

Gate City 35, Va. High 21

- - > Cumberland

Castlewood 32, St. Paul 0

Twin Springs 38, Ervinton 12

- > non-district

Hurley 42, Phelps (KY) 0 (HC)

Lebanon 34, Northwood 6

J.J. Kelly 34, Rye Cove 12

#8 J.I. Burton 49, Coeburn 9

TN. 4A #9 Sullivan North 45, Lee 14

> OPEN - John Battle, Thomas Walker

- - - > Region C

- - > Hogoheegee

Holston 21, Patrick Henry 6

- - > Mtn. Empire

Narrows 34, Grayson Co. 6 (HC)

- > non-district

Bland Co. 34, Craig Co. 21

#9 Radford 41, Rural Retreat 7

Parry McCluer 34, Auburn 20

James River 21, Glenvar 7

Wilson Memorial 55, Covington 0

Fort Chiswell @ George Wythe

> OPEN - Bath Co., Chilhowie, East. Mont., Giles

Edited by VHSLhelper
fixed Pat-Galax

Regions C, D & IV (missing Pat-Galax)

- - - > Region IV

- - > Southwest

Richlands 14, Tazewell 0

Marion 27, Grundy 6

- > non-district

Honaker 20, Abingdon 14

Carroll Co. 35, William Byrd 26

Lord Botetourt 20, Blacksburg 17

Christiansburg 37, PH-Roanoke 6

Salem 23, William Fleming 19

Galax Patrick Co. , Galax

NC 2A #1 Reidsville 49, Magna Vista 6

(2nd defending state champ in 2 weeks for MV)

> > > SATURDAY

Halifax Co. @ Martinsville, 1:00

A #1 Gretna @ Graham, 4:00

A #6 Floyd Co. @ Tunstall (HC)

AA #6 Bassett @ McMichael (NC) (both are 4-0)

Hidden Valley @ Northside

> OPEN - #3 Pulaski Co., Cave Spring

- - - > Region D

- - > Lonesome Pine

#3 Clintwood 42, Powell Valley 6

Pound 20, Appalachia 6

- - > Black Diamond

Haysi 49, Twin Valley 7

- - > Clinch Mtn.

Gate City 35, Va. High 21

- - > Cumberland

Castlewood 32, St. Paul 0

Twin Springs 38, Ervinton 12

- > non-district

Hurley 42, Phelps (KY) 0 (HC)

Lebanon 34, Northwood 6

J.J. Kelly 34, Rye Cove 12

#8 J.I. Burton 49, Coeburn 9

TN. 4A #9 Sullivan North 45, Lee 14

> OPEN - John Battle, Thomas Walker

- - - > Region C

- - > Hogoheegee

Holston 21, Patrick Henry 6

- - > Mtn. Empire

Narrows 34, Grayson Co. 6 (HC)

- > non-district

Bland Co. 34, Craig Co. 21

#9 Radford 41, Rural Retreat 7

Parry McCluer 34, Auburn 20

James River 21, Glenvar 7

Wilson Memorial 55, Covington 0

Fort Chiswell @ George Wythe

> OPEN - Bath Co., Chilhowie, East. Mont., Giles

Pound 20 Appalchia 16

I listen to parts of the game on the radio. From what it sounded like Marion was wearing out our D all night getting 5 yard runs then a 9 yard run and things like that but from what I head Grundy did do a good job on not giveing up any huge runs for the most part. Last week thats what was killing them and at haysi in the first game of season, giving up to many big plays. Grundy redzone offense didnt sound to good tonight alos a few turnovers sounded like it hurt them. Strange, our offense has been clicking pretty good so far this year and our D has been killing us giving up 30 points or more and every lost so far this year...It seem to be the exact oppiste tonite.

what really hurt was the first posession of the 2nd half...Plymal comes out trying to throw the ball all over the place, grundy goes 4 and out...short field for Marion...they scored...grundy kinda got down at that point. Josh Lindsay looked good all night, once again..and they didn't get the ball to him enough...constant rain all night...I didn't like the play calling in the 2nd half at all...Grundy would get the ball running and move the chains good then try to start the pass...end up in 3rd and 4th and long...just put themselves in bad situations all night on offense...the defense looked a lot better...but at some point someone has to step up and be the big hitter...that's what's missing for Grundy on defense I think...they have no headhunter ...

The kicker continued to impress me again this week...the kids pretty good and isn't afraid to pop a hit on anyone...I have a lot of respect for that.

overall...could've - should've - would've....but didn't...but the defense looked a lot better at stopping the big play...so that's a positive...take that and get ready for next week I guess...ugly loss for the Wave this week.

I was impressed with your qb Kelly. The kid has a good arm on him. On defense I was impressed with Dodson. I heard his name called a lot tonight.

yeah Kelly is a good kid...#21 for you guys looked really fast...I'd hate to play him on a dry field...lol...he was slipping and sliding all night....I'm surprised you guys didn't try to get the ball to him and get him outside more...he was getting some big runs once he broke containment.

what really hurt was the first posession of the 2nd half...Plymal comes out trying to throw the ball all over the place, grundy goes 4 and out...short field for Marion...they scored...grundy kinda got down at that point. Josh Lindsay looked good all night, once again..and they didn't get the ball to him enough...constant rain all night...I didn't like the play calling in the 2nd half at all...Grundy would get the ball running and move the chains good then try to start the pass...end up in 3rd and 4th and long...just put themselves in bad situations all night on offense...the defense looked a lot better...but at some point someone has to step up and be the big hitter...that's what's missing for Grundy on defense I think...they have no headhunter ...

The kicker continued to impress me again this week...the kids pretty good and isn't afraid to pop a hit on anyone...I have a lot of respect for that.

overall...could've - should've - would've....but didn't...but the defense looked a lot better at stopping the big play...so that's a positive...take that and get ready for next week I guess...ugly loss for the Wave this week.

Although I couldnt go to Marion tonite I can see all that happening just on base what I have saw this year from Grundy. When we (wave) get behind pylmal tries kelly to justus every time and I don't know why. They have a good rb (lindsey) and pretty good blocking and they have other wr's they can go to, ben r (#10) is pretty good size, has a good vertical leap, very good at catching the ball in traffic, and hardly ever drops a ball. You can see most of John int's come when they are behind and pylmal tries to throw every play.

The kicker is my negihbor and a pretty good friend. He's a very good kicker when it comes to extra points and fg's. We have went outside during drivers ed and he will go out on the field and pratice...i have seen him hit a few 40 yarders, also everybody on the kickoff team tries to lay somebody out to look like a bad*** and they end up missing the tackle, lc (kicker) just makes a simple wrap up just like the rest of need to be doing.

they were spreading the ball around as far as that goes...he tried to get the ball to the #10 kid and it ended up being the last INT...it's not so much who they are throwing to, it's when they are doing it and the choice of which pass it is...for example the 3 yard hitch when it's 3rd and 9 is pointless...Lindsay was gaining good yards outside the tackles and moving the chains...so what do you do? Keep going that way until they stop it? nope...lets run up the gut for no gain, then throw the hitch, then run inside the tackle for -3 on 3rd and 9...then on 4th lets let it fly again and hope for the best. I didn't see Grundy take many deep shots either...every now and then you have to just fly someone down the field and tell the QB to throw it long and hope the guy can run under it...but you lay it up so it won't be an INT...Grundy never checked up and called an audible either when they stuffed everyone in the box...if you have a run up the gut called and you look up and see 8+ in the box you have to check out of it...you can't just take a 3 yard loss...thats when you hot route the WR or TE...never happened...on one 4th down that was close if not in the "red zone" they ran a halfback pass over the middle...why all the fancy stuff? Why not put Kelly in the shotgun and spread the field and take a shot at the endzone? They need to get all these crazy formations out and get back to the basics..it's not working and it's not fooling anyone.

They need to work with Kelly more on the option...he does a good job with it most of the time, but he runs even with the contain guy too much...you can't run the option and have the QB crossing the containment guys face...you have to force him to commit one way or another...Kelly is just not there yet...he did it PERFECT once and the result was a 23 yard gain...he needs to work the containment guy better and play his hips not his shoulders...it's hard to do at this level and takes a lot of practice...that's something that needs more work but could be a big play for Grundy if they can get it down.

The Kelly kid could be the best QB Grundy has had in a long time if they play it right...I really like what I see from him.

yeah Kelly is a good kid...#21 for you guys looked really fast...I'd hate to play him on a dry field...lol...he was slipping and sliding all night....I'm surprised you guys didn't try to get the ball to him and get him outside more...he was getting some big runs once he broke containment.

Yeah I thought the same thing. Hanna is great when he gets that block on the outside but they ran him more up the middle last night than usual.

Yeah I thought the same thing. Hanna is great when he gets that block on the outside but they ran him more up the middle last night than usual.

thats probably a film thing...JJ Kelly ran all over Grundy right up the gut...I expected Marion to try to do the same...Grundy did a lot better stopping it up the middle than they did against JJ Kelly.

Marion was pretty much playing all 11 guys within 5-6 yards of the line of scrimmage, thus leaving man to man on the outsides. It's like Lance said, they are lacking a true big play threat on both sides. Grundy needs a defender to step up and be a ballhawk and an offensive player to step up and be a threat to take one to the house everytime he has a one on one match up. It's hard to run the ball and win when you only average 3.0 yards per carry.

Grundy also needs to just kick the ball out of bounds EVERY kickoff. Teams are consistently getting the ball at midfield after the kickoffs. I know of 2 td's the past 2 weeks on kickoffs. Not sure if they had given one up before that or not...

Edited by Grundy10

the thing is that they never commit to the run and stick to it...you get Lindsay going and then start passing...Plymal has been doing that for years...in the past the defense has been able to step in to the bad situations that the offense put them in and make a play...they just don't have the talent to do that anymore...they just can't force a turnover and get the ball back from any point on the field anymore.

The 3 yard per carry would be a lot better if they would use the pass when there are 8+ in the box...hit the TE or thats when you run the hitch or lay it up...QB should check back to a shotgun if he's not already in it and give himself a little time to throw it...everyone should be able to read the defense and know where to be...you keep the defense honest by doing that...if you let them stack 8+ in the box and get away with it then you will not be running much for positive yardage. This also makes your line look bad...it's not so much they aren't blocking, they simply can't block everyone coming at them.

as for the kickoffs, if the kicker had not made several tackles the past few weeks, it would have been a lot worse...he's one of the smallest guys on the field but he tackles well in the open field...lucky for Grundy he's not affraid to lay a hit on someone...I don't think he's big enough to stand it every play without being at risk for getting hurt...like I said he's small...if bigger he would be a good fit at LB.

I did like a couple of things they did on offense, they threw over the middle a couple of times, which is good...in the past they never threw over the middle...last night was not really the best time to be throwing at all, but they did manage to complete about 5 passes out of 15 or so. Another thing they could have done that would have helped would have been a screen..but, they never tried it. With Kelly in there at QB, they need to look more towards the spread and trying to swing the ball out to Lindsay more outside the tackles...i dunno...you sit here and do this all day...doesn't make any difference...but it's hard to watch them struggle...the game last night was a 7 point game with less than 10 minutes to go and then the wheels came off.

I was impressed with your qb Kelly. The kid has a good arm on him. On defense I was impressed with Dodson. I heard his name called a lot tonight.

which dotson r u talkin about casue one sit most the game the other didnt really make that many tackles

they were spreading the ball around as far as that goes...he tried to get the ball to the #10 kid and it ended up being the last INT...it's not so much who they are throwing to, it's when they are doing it and the choice of which pass it is...for example the 3 yard hitch when it's 3rd and 9 is pointless...Lindsay was gaining good yards outside the tackles and moving the chains...so what do you do? Keep going that way until they stop it? nope...lets run up the gut for no gain, then throw the hitch, then run inside the tackle for -3 on 3rd and 9...then on 4th lets let it fly again and hope for the best. I didn't see Grundy take many deep shots either...every now and then you have to just fly someone down the field and tell the QB to throw it long and hope the guy can run under it...but you lay it up so it won't be an INT...Grundy never checked up and called an audible either when they stuffed everyone in the box...if you have a run up the gut called and you look up and see 8+ in the box you have to check out of it...you can't just take a 3 yard loss...thats when you hot route the WR or TE...never happened...on one 4th down that was close if not in the "red zone" they ran a halfback pass over the middle...why all the fancy stuff? Why not put Kelly in the shotgun and spread the field and take a shot at the endzone? They need to get all these crazy formations out and get back to the basics..it's not working and it's not fooling anyone.

They need to work with Kelly more on the option...he does a good job with it most of the time, but he runs even with the contain guy too much...you can't run the option and have the QB crossing the containment guys face...you have to force him to commit one way or another...Kelly is just not there yet...he did it PERFECT once and the result was a 23 yard gain...he needs to work the containment guy better and play his hips not his shoulders...it's hard to do at this level and takes a lot of practice...that's something that needs more work but could be a big play for Grundy if they can get it down.

The Kelly kid could be the best QB Grundy has had in a long time if they play it right...I really like what I see from him.

well there is a good point with the 8+ in the box but im postive marion did that and was runnin cover 2 or somethin they werent all up there for the run

well there is a good point with the 8+ in the box but im postive marion did that and was runnin cover 2 or somethin they werent all up there for the run

There were a few times Grundy had a run called and Marion was stacked up waiting on it...one was a key play that Grundy got dropped for a big loss on 3rd down and about 5 and put them in 4th and about 12 down deep in Marion's end of the field...that one hurt...they weren't in a cover 2 or anything close. Would have been a good time to call time out.

There were a few times Grundy had a run called and Marion was stacked up waiting on it...one was a key play that Grundy got dropped for a big loss on 3rd down and about 5 and put them in 4th and about 12 down deep in Marion's end of the field...that one hurt...they weren't in a cover 2 or anything close. Would have been a good time to call time out.

ok i gotcha