Best Game In VHSL History

Guest stuntdouble

Guest stuntdouble

What game do you all think fits this post? Everyone on here is saying Castlewood and Hurley it must have been a good one.

yep.....Mr. Altizer should check out the 2 point conversion he gave Castlewood and see phillips was clearly knock out of bounds and did not cross the goal......It took them a minute to decide to give it to them.....I guess the crowd over there buffaloed him.....Also, To my knowedge if you have a running back in the grasp in the backfield he is not allowed to throw it through the back of the end zone without and intentional grounding or it should have been a touchback and hurley ball on the 20......This game was too hard fought to not make them calls on the final drive....congrats to castlwood and hurley....great game

2003 Tazewell 12 Richlands 10.... Last time Tazewell beat Richlands.. Tazewell had 4 stops inside the 20.. Richlands kicked and got the onside kick with time on the clock and missed the fieldgoal.. Doubt its the best, but thought it should be mentioned..

Althought I only read about it, I bet the game between Floyd and GW this year probably ranks up there for this season at least.

It would, but not even my top vs Floyd!

My greatest games I have seen!

1. 2002-Gate City at George Wythe-State Semifinals-GW wins 21-20 in overtime on missed PAT after GC scores. Wide left!

2. 2002-George Wythe at Floyd-Region C Finals-GW wins 20-16 in the coldest game I have even been too.

3. 2007-George Wythe at Giles-Region C Finals-GW wins 20-17 in overtime on 15 yard pass on first down to Will Sawyers.

4. 2003-George Wythe at Radford-Region C Finals-Radford wins 23-22 on a blown coverage 4th and long with GW leading 22-16. Radford makes the PAT with less than a minute and GW never recovers.

5. 2008-Floyd at George Wythe-Regular Season-Floyd wins 40-39 in overtime on fake FG two point conversion!

Those are my top 5 high school games I have seen.

Was the 2003 Graham-Gretna game as good as it appeared from the reports I heard afterward?

1. No team had touched Gretna all season. The closest score differential was 35.

2. Gretna jumps out to a 27-0 lead, midway through the 2nd.

3. Graham wills themselves back into it to make it 27-22.

4. Graham picks Vic Hall off at their own 15, giving them a chance to drive downfield to win it.

5. Two BIG-time players in this game, both fighting with all they're worth to earn the victory.

Best game i've seen at the High School Level?

Easy answer...

Appalachia/Powell Valley 1998

Both teams were 9-0 ranked 1-2 in the state in group A. Rivals only minutes apart. PV won that game 20-14 and stopped Appalachia on a final drive deep in PV territory. I could go on and on about that game but i bet there are others out there who remember this game. The Bristol paper had an article about it earlier this year since it's the 10th anniversary.

Another good one was the Giles/Manassas Park state final game 3 years ago. That was lots of fun too.

Tazewell 21 Graham 14 1999 1st round playoffs

Graham was up 14-7 throughout much of the game and had went up 21-7 on a pick six but it got called back. Tazewell goes on to score on a long drive and then T-town takes a blocked punt to the house. Tazewell picks off Graham on their final drive.

Held my boy Sugar Ray to 150 some yards on 48 carries. 96 yards came on one long TD run.

My personal favs that are in the Grundy world:

-The Tommy Gun 2 minute drill to beat Richlands.

-The Miracle at Nelson Memorial Field 1987 Grundy whips Tazewell 28-0.

-02 Region IV Championship Grundy beats Graham.

-Don't remember the year but Grundy lost to I think it was Salem in the State Semi's at Tazewell in a monsoon. '96 maybe? I always forget the details on this one and I was at the game lol.

-Grundy @ Fieldale Collinsville in 04 playoffs...Grundy wins 34-27.

-Grundy vs. Carroll County in 02, a 9th grade Garon Marcum comes on late in the 4th Q to score 3 unaswered TD's down 12-0 to win the game 21-12 in the last 4 min.

- I always heard the old timers talk about the 1963 Grundy vs. EC Glass game...not sure what the deal was with it, but that one comes up a lot in conversation amongst the Grundy elders lol.

Graham beat Tazewell 6-3 in a driving snowstorm in the Region IV title game back in 1981. If not the "best ever," the game at least warrants mention as an all-time classic.

I will have to agree with this one since I happen to be on the receiving end of the winning touchdown pass. It is amazing how much discussion still comes up about that game. Two very stubborn and talented teams.

Was the 2003 Graham-Gretna game as good as it appeared from the reports I heard afterward?

1. No team had touched Gretna all season. The closest score differential was 35.

4. Graham picks Vic Hall off at their own 15, giving them a chance to drive downfield to win it.

5. Two BIG-time players in this game, both fighting with all they're worth to earn the victory.

It was without a doubt the best High School game I ever witnessed.

Yes, it was that good. Gretna punched us in the mouth from the first play of the game on. 1st play was an onside kickoff they recovered. 2nd play was a 50 yard bomb down the center of the field for a TD. They were up 27-0 before we realized what hit us. Then we dusted ourselves off and punched Gretna back in the mouth. Scored 22 straight and had posession with a chance to take the lead with 9 minutes left, but not meant to be. Still to this day I think that was the best AA high school football team I ever saw in Virginia in my lifetime. They had killer instinct, and a great staff in addition to the players. Everytime we did stop them, it was 4th and 1, 4th and a foot, 4th and 2 inches..........The foot was on the gas at all times, and really that is what football is all about. Those were the best two teams in the state in 2003, and we gave them our best shot. It just wasn't good enough.

I will have to agree with this one since I happen to be on the receiving end of the winning touchdown pass. It is amazing how much discussion still comes up about that game. Two very stubborn and talented teams.

And a great catch it was..........and that is the last time I saw 6,000 people all shut up at the same time, and it was wonderful.........