Best Game In VHSL History

Guest stuntdouble

Heath Miller and Honaker had some thrilling games in the playoffs in 1999 and 2000. I remember watching them beat Clintwood in OT in 99 to win the Region. Miller vs. Hamilton. Two future NFLers on the field on opposing sides.

best game I ever saw was '95 Lebanon vs. Powell Valley state semifinal. PV won 34-33 after Lebanon missed a two point conversion in the final minute, then went on to win the state championship the next week something like 70-6.

Best game i've seen at the High School Level?

Easy answer...

Appalachia/Powell Valley 1998

Both teams were 9-0 ranked 1-2 in the state in group A. Rivals only minutes apart. PV won that game 20-14 and stopped Appalachia on a final drive deep in PV territory. I could go on and on about that game but i bet there are others out there who remember this game. The Bristol paper had an article about it earlier this year since it's the 10th anniversary.

Another good one was the Giles/Manassas Park state final game 3 years ago. That was lots of fun too.

PV's had alot of classics....all 3 of the first 3 state titles they won were decided in the last 30 seconds..82 was a blocked 13 yard FG with no time left on the clock, 85 was a broken up 2 point try in the last 20 seconds to earn a 1 point win, and 89 was a TD pass with 11 seconds left....BUT the PV-Appy game from 98 was a sight to behold....that place was crazy.

1994 Season finale for Richlands.

Lee High defeats Richlands 48 -45. Richlands was down approximately 30 - 6 at the half. Stevie Dye leads a second half comeback, but falls just short. Two weeks later, the same teams play in the first round of the Division IV Region IV playoffs and Richlands wins 66 -23 and sets a regional playoff record for points. That game merits mention as well.

1994 Season finale for Richlands.

Lee High defeats Richlands 48 -45. Richlands was down approximately 30 - 6 at the half. Stevie Dye leads a second half comeback, but falls just short. Two weeks later, the same teams play in the first round of the Division IV Region IV playoffs and Richlands wins 66 -23 and sets a regional playoff record for points. That game merits mention as well.

Tazewell scored 69 on Christiansburg in the 1992 playoffs.......maybe it was the Region IV Division IV record

Tazewell scored 69 on Christiansburg in the 1992 playoffs.......maybe it was the Region IV Division IV record

Yeh, I went to that game...it was UGLY!!! It seemed like Tazewell scored everytime they touched the ball whether it was on O, D, or ST...

2001 Region C D2 Championship was a great game. Floyd beats Chilhowie 17-14, it was my freshman year at Chilhowie. Floyd scores with about 3 min to go to go up 17-14. Chilhowie then drives back down the field and Chil's QB comes up 6 inches short of a first down on a scramble run on about 4th and 9 inside Floyd's 20 yard line with just over a minute to play. Floyd then took a couple of knees and won the game. Floyd went on to the state title game that year. Chilhowie fans were heartbroken but it was a great game and one to remember since we don't get to the playoffs very often.

It would, but not even my top vs Floyd!

My greatest games I have seen!

1. 2002-Gate City at George Wythe-State Semifinals-GW wins 21-20 in overtime on missed PAT after GC scores. Wide left!

2. 2002-George Wythe at Floyd-Region C Finals-GW wins 20-16 in the coldest game I have even been too.

3. 2007-George Wythe at Giles-Region C Finals-GW wins 20-17 in overtime on 15 yard pass on first down to Will Sawyers.

4. 2003-George Wythe at Radford-Region C Finals-Radford wins 23-22 on a blown coverage 4th and long with GW leading 22-16. Radford makes the PAT with less than a minute and GW never recovers.

5. 2008-Floyd at George Wythe-Regular Season-Floyd wins 40-39 in overtime on fake FG two point conversion!

Those are my top 5 high school games I have seen.

I've been apart of some of the games listed on here but as a fan....the GW v. GC game was the greatest game I have ever saw

Graham-Gate City, Jake Houseright's senior year at Mitchell Stadium. Think it was 2000. Gate City won in triple overtime. Great ballgame.

That was in 1997 during our state championship season I believe. I still have that game on video. That's one of, if not THE, best game I've ever watched. I've been lucky to see alot of good games, but this one tends to stick out more. Best game I've watched where we lost, was in 2002 ( I think) at Powell Valley. GC had alot of sophomores and freshmen on that team, and lost at PV that night 42-35. It was back and forth all night, and if there's ever such a thing as a moral victory it was that night. It's honestly hard for me to claim one certain game as the greatest I've ever watched. I've enjoyed alot over 36 years.

Without a doubt that was the best ever!

Best game ive seen is the CC-Richlands game 2005 kid missed the extra point at the end of the game for CC.

Richlands-7

CC-6

preacher if you had been at the cc-richlands game you'd change your mind, that was the best game i have ever seen also, i totally forgot about that i was on the sidelines that game as a freshman and i'm pretty sure carroll came in as very big underdogs, richlands was number 1 in the state and jake lamb made an amazing catch to score the touchdown, but yea we missed the extra point it was a heartbreaker, but an amazing game, also probably the most awesome atmosphere ever at a CC game from both sides, I've never seen so many people in the visitors stands since that game.

I would have to agree with 98Pioneer. I have seen many playoff games over the last 20 years but I would have to agree on the 95 PV-Lebanon game. The were big plays, long drives, defensive stands, hard hitting, and a huge crowd. Plus it was the state-semis.

The other game was in 1990 I believe. It was also PV-Lebanon game at Lebanon. I believe it was the first time that PV had trailed all year.

I've been apart of some of the games listed on here but as a fan....the GW v. GC game was the greatest game I have ever saw

I'm guessing the 2002? And the day before helicopters had to get the snow off the field. That was an instant classic.

preacher if you had been at the cc-richlands game you'd change your mind, that was the best game i have ever seen also, i totally forgot about that i was on the sidelines that game as a freshman and i'm pretty sure carroll came in as very big underdogs, richlands was number 1 in the state and jake lamb made an amazing catch to score the touchdown, but yea we missed the extra point it was a heartbreaker, but an amazing game, also probably the most awesome atmosphere ever at a CC game from both sides, I've never seen so many people in the visitors stands since that game.

I do not think that kicker for CC had ever missed i know that when you guys scored that home side was going crazy they just knew that we were going to OT and as you all lined up to kick the feild goal not a player, fan or coach was breathing on that Richlands side and when he missed it we all went crazy. Best all around game i have ever seen.

The Tazewell Graham game in 2005 at Graham. Final seconds of the game and Shannon Graham blocks the game winning field goal. 7-6 Tazewell won. One of the most exciting moments in Bulldog Football history no doubt.

Best game I ever saw from an offensive point of view was in 2002 Magna Vista vs. Franklin Co. Franklin won 52-51,MV went for 2 after their last score with about 5 minutes to go in the game but didn't convert.Nobody scored in the final 5 minutes(probably because of exhaustion)!!

The Tazewell Graham game in 2005 at Graham. Final seconds of the game and Shannon Graham blocks the game winning field goal. 7-6 Tazewell won. One of the most exciting moments in Bulldog Football history no doubt.

LOL..... Noob.. that game was in Tazewell.... And it was in 2006...

Edited by Bulldogs52

There was one at Mitchell in 2005, but I think Eric McDaniel blocked the kick.....and it was 7 to 5.

LOL..... Noob.. that game was in Tazewell.... And it was in 2006...

My bad I couldn't remember the year. No matter what year it was still an awesome game. Watchin the Dawgs that game was just awesome. When the game comes down to the line like that and your team blocks the field goal, you just feel the biggest relief of your life and your not even playing in the game.

I have seen a ton of great games, and some have already been mentioned. The game last night at Clintwood, with GC squeaking out the 28-27 win was a very good game to watch.

The 1997 Graham-GC game, and the 1997 GC/Jefferson Forest state semi-final where the field was nasty and where GC kicked the most beautiful ugly FG late that won the game 17-15. and propelled the Devils to the state title.

1978 GC at Abingdon, GC was down 29-14 late in the 4th and rallied to win. Bobby Seavers caught the winning TD with less than a minute left laying flat on his back in the endzone. GC won 30-29

heres a few Devil heartbreaks:

The 1987 Ice-Bowl game GC at Radford for the Region IV title in 40 knot winds was a good one Radford won 3-2. I saw the GC punter kick one from his 20 that went sailing out of the endzone on the Radford end. below 10 degrees at start.

2002 at GW Snow bowl game 21-20 GW.

1982 Giles 15 GC 12 at Giles. GC played a lot of the second half with 10 men on D when someone got hurt and they didn't put anyone in.

2000 GC at Rustburg state semi lost 7-0. Cold drizzling rain nasty day! GC had a TD called back on a holding call in the 4th inside the 5. Enough said. The worst loss ever/hardest to take at GC.

1996 Brookville 13 GC 12. 28 degrees and pouring rain. they managed to actually kick one xp and GC couldn't. The best ever GC team to not win the state.

1994 Handley 12 at GC 7 state title game. Probably one of the most controversial games in VH$L history. This may well be the game that got the state title games to be played on neutral sites. JH came in with the hype and all the state passing record by the Partlow twins. GC was 9-5 coming in and had tough losses to Richlands/Lebanon/PV and Appy. This is the "water the field" game*. (We did, we have a direct line to God, and asked him to make it rain the entire week) The Devils clock had quit running in the 2nd quarter and the time was kept on the field. GC ended the game with second and goal at the 1 yard line, when time ran out. Both teams were disgusted at the end of this one.

*folks do seem to forget the crappy weather in Va in the last week of November and 1st week of December every year. The Weather couldn't be worse than the Brookville game, or Rustburg, or even a playoff game with Graham (can't rem the year) we played Radford at GC one year in a horrible rain and it was nasty water standing on the field. Nobody from GC watered the field.

i dont no but i played in that hurley castlewood game and it was an absolute thriller. best game ive ever been a part of. that phillips rb is possibly the best ive ever faced. to be as big as he is and have the feet that he does, its incredible. i dont know what the best game ever in vhsl history is but i would say this is right up there