To all Richlands fans...

rabidbeaver

How many of you would like continue the series with Bluefield?...I for one would love to play you guys every year because it is great competition between the two teams and it is becoming quite the rivalry, maybe not like the Bluefield-Graham or the Tazwell-Richlands rivaries but still a pretty good rivalry.

this must happen...it's a rivalry already...no doubt about it...it got so bad there at one point that they couldn't play for a while...they are playing again now, and they need to keep playing each other...it's good for both programs and the area and will only continue to grow as time goes by...I hope it doesn't change.

this must happen...it's a rivalry already...no doubt about it...it got so bad there at one point that they couldn't play for a while...they are playing again now, and they need to keep playing each other...it's good for both programs and the area and will only continue to grow as time goes by...I hope it doesn't change.

Good point Lance...I like it because Richlands is great competition and is local and Bluefield would not have to travel that far to to play that kind of competition.

Bluefield is most definitely wanting to continue the series. The question is will the politics that try to run the Richlands program allow Mance to continue it on his end? Those people aren't happy with losing to Bluefield, especially like they did on Friday night.

I hope the series can continue. Bluefield has always, always had a hard time scheduling 10 games, and I think a local, competitive series is a good, good thing. It sure beats hitting the road to find teams. I have always thought it was a shame that so many local teams seem to duck playing Bluefield.

I think the system in Virginia is a bit too complicated (with districts affecting the playoff picture, not using the ratings system), but I do sometimes think it would help...we could have a group of teams that HAD to play us year in and year out.

I for one would like to see the series continue. At one point in time when both teams were not State championship caliber teams a VA team could not win in Bluefield, But from what I saw last frday the Officiating is much better. ( I know I am going to catch a lot of flack from the Richland's fans on the ruffing call but that was just one play and I don't believe that cost us the game) The only thing that upset me was the Official grabbing the face mask of our player while talking to him. If that would have been my kid I would have had a one on one with MR. White Hat.

I talked to a Richlands coach at work Saturday and he said that the contract is up and it is likely the series will end.

As the old Iron Maiden song goes...

"Run to the hills,

Run for your life..."

Sounds like someone is scared...we'll just add Coach Mance's name to the list of many that duck Bluefield...

That series should keep going. Those two teams are some of the best in the two virginias. It would be bad to end this series.

Mance is tired of losing, he wants out...

we knew it was a 2 season contract, but unless richlands simply has a different team that is competitive lined up already, I won't believe the series won't be scheduled for more games just yet. It is a good competitive game that's close, not any reason not to in my opinion.

And it doesn't really have much to do with winning or losing. It's just that times change, and this series just isn't as valuable to either side as it once was. It's a lot like the longstanding series we once played against Big Creek. That one ended back in 1982 and I haven't heard too many folks on either side of the state line complaining about it.

Generally speaking, I'd rather see Richlands play an exclusively in-state schedule. Specifically, I'd like to see the Blues take on some schools around the Roanoke and Lynchburg areas.

Just my two cents....

Edited by RichlandsAlum
removed redundant "really"

we knew it was a 2 season contract, but unless richlands simply has a different team that is competitive lined up already, I won't believe the series won't be scheduled for more games just yet. It is a good competitive game that's close, not any reason not to in my opinion.

There a big reason not to continue it, it isn't a guaranteed win for Richlands. Bluefield is exactly like the teams that Richlands will have to defeated in most years to win a state title in Virginia; fast, quick, and athletic. It would be of huge benefit in that regard to acclimate their players to those types of teams. But they'd rather keep beating up on helpless teams such as Honaker b/c "they're a school close by." Whatever Blues...

Bluefield will be fine with or without Richlands. I know Beckley has already contacted Bluefield looking to renew their series since the MSAC reduced the number of requird conference games each season starting in 2009.

I didn't see the game Friday night, but I listened on the net. I know in the past there have been some accusations of unfair officiating, and that is one of the concerns about playing Bluefield, especially in Bluefield.

When Richlands scored the first TD, it was called back, and I can't remember the call...holding maybe? Anyway, my first thoughts were "here we go again". That call changed the complexion of the game. Bluefield scored on the following series, and the momentum shifted. I'm not saying Richlands would have won the game if not for that play, I'm just wondering if the penalty was questionable or if it was obvious. Again, I'm just stating what I have heard. I do know this...If I were a coach of a high school team and I was concerned about the officiating being unfair, I wouldn't want to continue the series either. I know this swings to both sides, but I was wondering if there was any truth to these accusations? No need to shout me down, because I don't know what's true and what's not...I'm just interested in the truth.

I didn't see the game Friday night, but I listened on the net. I know in the past there have been some accusations of unfair officiating, and that is one of the concerns about playing Bluefield, especially in Bluefield.

When Richlands scored the first TD, it was called back, and I can't remember the call...holding maybe? Anyway, my first thoughts were "here we go again". That call changed the complexion of the game. Bluefield scored on the following series, and the momentum shifted. I'm not saying Richlands would have won the game if not for that play, I'm just wondering if the penalty was questionable or if it was obvious. Again, I'm just stating what I have heard. I do know this...If I were a coach of a high school team and I was concerned about the officiating being unfair, I wouldn't want to continue the series either. I know this swings to both sides, but I was wondering if there was any truth to these accusations? No need to shout me down, because I don't know what's true and what's not...I'm just interested in the truth.

Yeah, and the officials at Richlands are so unbias. Watch the game film from the 1999 Bluefield/Richlands game at Richlands. On 90% of the offensive snaps for Richlands the left side of the offensive was jumping the snap ever so slightly, but it was only called once the entire game. I don't wanna hear the b.s. excuses such as officiating. The fact is Richlands doesn't want to play Bluefield b/c they cannot beat them on a regular basis. They tried weaseling their way out of coming to Bluefield this year. In the end I'd rather play a school and community with some self-respect, so it's probably best the series does end.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

The hold was obvious. A Richlands player had a defender by the back of his jersey as the play developed. The officiating was fine. Sure, there were a few "questionable" calls, but that goes with every game. As for someone saying the roughing call on the Cole punt was a bad call, how about the Richlands place kicker who, after he was brushed by Donte Baker following the kick, walked away for 2 seconds then decided to fall and jumped up complaining about there not being a call for roughing. I remember joining in the uproar of laughter from the Beaver stands with everyone else.

As I said, the officiating was fine. Richlands just got beat.

Yeah, and the officials at Richlands are so unbias. Watch the game film from the 1999 Bluefield/Richlands game at Richlands. On 90% of the offensive snaps for Richlands the left side of the offensive was jumping the snap ever so slightly, but it was only called once the entire game. I don't wanna hear the b.s. excuses such as officiating. The fact is Richlands doesn't want to play Bluefield b/c they cannot beat them on a regular basis. They tried weaseling their way out of coming to Bluefield this year. In the end I'd rather play a school and community with some self-respect, so it's probably best the series does end.

Calm down hotshot...I'm not accusing anyone of anything. Read my post again if you will without assuming I am blaming any one team of anything. If the officials at Richlands were unfair in 1999, then that's wrong too. My point is, if these two teams can't play each other without accusing each other of unfair tactics, then why continue. I want to know if the call at the beginning of the game that called back Richland's TD Friday night was questionable...if you can't answer that then that's fine. Can't even have a civil conversation without some immature jack ass like you sounding off.

The hold was obvious. A Richlands player had a defender by the back of his jersey as the play developed. The officiating was fine. Sure, there were a few "questionable" calls, but that goes with every game. As for someone saying the roughing call on the Cole punt was a bad call, how about the Richlands place kicker who, after he was brushed by Donte Baker following the kick, walked away for 2 seconds then decided to fall and jumped up complaining about there not being a call for roughing. I remember joining in the uproar of laughter from the Beaver stands with everyone else.

As I said, the officiating was fine. Richlands just got beat.

Thank you...that's all I was asking.

Calm down hotshot...I'm not accusing anyone of anything. Read my post again if you will without assuming I am blaming any one team of anything. If the officials at Richlands were unfair in 1999, then that's wrong too. My point is, if these two teams can't play each other without accusing each other of unfair tactics, then why continue. I want to know if the call at the beginning of the game that called back Richland's TD Friday night was questionable...if you can't answer that then that's fine. Can't even have a civil conversation without some immature jack ass like you sounding off.

Sorry for hitting home with my comments. The constant whining from Richlands fans about officiating is old, whether you were doing it or not. But thanks for calling me a hotshot. I'm the coolest ya know....

By the way, I want the series to continue. Playing great teams makes you better. Graham played a helluva schedule last season, and if memory serves me correctly began the season 0-3. But they played great competition, and it made them better...they ended Richland's regular season winning streak, and went on to win the district (tied with RHS). So I agree, playing great competition makes you better, and I would hate to see the series end.

Sorry for hitting home with my comments. The constant whining from Richlands fans about officiating is old, whether you were doing it or not. But thanks for calling me a hotshot. I'm the coolest ya know....
One more thing...I've been a member of this board for over a year now, and I have heard just as much whining about the officiating by the Bluefield Beavers as I have anyone else, including RHS. So don't go there. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

One more thing...I've been a member of this board for over a year now, and I have heard just as much whining about the officiating by the Bluefield Beavers as I have anyone else, including RHS. So don't go there. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

You're exactly right and I bust those guy's balls about the subject as well. There's nothing I hate more than someone crying about how a couple of "bad" calls lost them a game. You won't see me and several other Bluefield fans crying about officiating losing a game.

The first TD by Richlands was not called back for holding it was called back because the man in motion turned up the field early and was moving forward at the snap. The flag went up as soon as the ball was snapped and it was a good call. I don't think any of the Richlands coaches or players complained about that call one bit. Hard to blame a three touchdown loss on officiating.