Grundy to go Single A in 2010

GrundyWinsAll

And that is why the A.D. gets the big bucks. To put up with a few minor problems that can be fixed through a little extra effort.

what did the AD think about going to A level?

True however with 6 dates (7 if you count the Bye week and 8 if you count the week after the season is over) I think there will be an opening plus the teams that Honaker, TV and Hurley will have to drop in order to pick up Grundy will all be looking for an extra game.

I have no doubt that scheduleing for 2011 will be a a pain in the butt for football but it is nothing that can't be overcome

we shall see how it plays out i guess...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BB_TWEEDER

There will absolutly be no prob schedual wise. 90% of teams west of Ronoake are single A hahaha I mean come on ppl, whats the argument here? Plus most teams in Western Ky and Southern WVa are single A.... All this is a deal of pride, thats all it comes down to. And the wrestling program is part of the Grundy Wrestling Club, if im not mistaken (but I prolly am lol) then they technically have no affiliation with the school, so therefor could wrestle any district wanted.. And anyways during regular season could wrestle as many double A Triple A teams they want befor state rolls around. SO they competition level for the Wave would stay closely the same.

There will absolutly be no prob schedual wise. 90% of teams west of Ronoake are single A hahaha I mean come on ppl, whats the argument here? Plus most teams in Western Ky and Southern WVa are single A.... All this is a deal of pride, thats all it comes down to. And the wrestling program is part of the Grundy Wrestling Club, if im not mistaken (but I prolly am lol) then they technically have no affiliation with the school, so therefor could wrestle any district wanted.. And anyways during regular season could wrestle as many double A Triple A teams they want befor state rolls around. SO they competition level for the Wave would stay closely the same.

GWC can't win state though...lol...Grundy High can.

...and the schedule issue has nothing to do with pride, or the number of A level schools in the area...it's getting them to play you, finding someone who needs a game, and being able to match it up with open dates in the schedule...it's not as easy as it sounds...by the time you get to the last tow weeks finding someone else who is open and needs a game and is willing to travel to Grundy is a bit of a challenge...can it be done...I'd say probably...but I would guess there is a possibility of an 8 or 9 game season...with none of the traditional SWD rivalry games...and for a lot of people that actually means something...for others maybe it doesn't...but, myself...I like to see them.

I know that seeing the "old SWD Rivalries" would be good if we could compete with them. We haven't won a district game in a long time. Very few were close. I hate to say it like this, but judging from the "home crowd" I would say that people do not like to watch the abuse. Here is what I think. If you can keep some of the SWD, it will be hard, and schedule a 8+ win season the F-ball program could have something to be proud of. Here is what I would schedule.

week 1 East Ridge

week 2 Shelby Valley

week 3 Twin Valley

week 4 Big Creek

week 5 Hurley

week 6 Pound

week 7 Appalachia

week 8 Haysi

week 9 Castlewood

week 10 Honaker

This would get Grundy about 6-0 every year. The fans will come out. 6-1 Fans come out. 6-2 fans come out. 6-3 fans come out 6-4 is a winning season. I know this is just words on a page and they need to get the schedule they can compete with. How do you eat an elephant?

Lets say you keep the A teams you have and replace much of the district with the BDD...

A typical Grundy schedule may consist of..

Haysi

Hurley

Honaker

Twin Valley

JJ Kelly

East Ridge, KY

Plus I would assume no less than 2 of the closest SWD teams to schedule them for rivalry reasons... at least for a while..rivalries=money.

Richlands, Graham, Tazewell..

That gets you to 8 possibly 9 games. And Grundy will be D2 and there aren't many in that area, perhaps several other A schools like Clintwood or even Lebanon may choose to schedule Grundy for some power points?

An 8 or 9 game season is a feasible possibility but playing two or even three out of state teams per year is probably going to be pretty common from here on out..

But thats from a guy who knows very little about Grundy and the BDD for that matter.

Guest BB_TWEEDER
I know that seeing the "old SWD Rivalries" would be good if we could compete with them. We haven't won a district game in a long time. Very few were close. I hate to say it like this, but judging from the "home crowd" I would say that people do not like to watch the abuse. Here is what I think. If you can keep some of the SWD, it will be hard, and schedule a 8+ win season the F-ball program could have something to be proud of. Here is what I would schedule.

week 1 East Ridge

week 2 Shelby Valley

week 3 Twin Valley

week 4 Big Creek

week 5 Hurley

week 6 Pound

week 7 Appalachia

week 8 Haysi

week 9 Castlewood

week 10 Honaker

This would get Grundy about 6-0 every year. The fans will come out. 6-1 Fans come out. 6-2 fans come out. 6-3 fans come out 6-4 is a winning season. I know this is just words on a page and they need to get the schedule they can compete with. How do you eat an elephant?

Not tryin to burst your bubble, but I wouldnt automatically put Grundy at 6-0. I think they will be very competitive, but not dominating, not yet. In a few short years possibly. But either way I wish the Golden Wave the best of luck in the new Class. Only team with Winning record returning in the County is Hurley, plus alot of talented upperclass players returning. Lost Qb Clint Justus, but A. Cooper has much more talent. And Lt N. Jackson, but he can very easly be replaced.

Edited by BB_TWEEDER

If Grundy drops, im going to say that no current SWD team will play them in football. Not so sure about the other sports.....

I'd be willing to agree with that...

week 1 East Ridge

week 2 Shelby Valley

week 3 Twin Valley

week 4 Big Creek

week 5 Hurley

week 6 Pound

week 7 Appalachia

week 8 Haysi

week 9 Castlewood

week 10 Honaker

And with that schedule, you can count on being knocked out of the playoffs in the first round every year you make it. If you make it........

there is no way mr. north grundy and AD son in law will let this happen thay don,t care about what is best for the kids Grundy should have been A 2001 but NO lets destory the sports at GHS first. AD says can,t get enough games if we go A. I,ve got an ideal lets get a new AD........:D

man you know i respect your opinion, and my question was an honest one...but I'm going to have to disagree with you on the schedule thing...I don't think it is a lack of them trying to put out the effort to find a game when needed, no one wants to play Grundy because they dont want to make the trip and the past 4 years the AA teams know that Grundy is not going to carry any points.

I just think it would have been better to wait and move the teams together, and maybe that wouldn't happen either who knows...but I don't think the move in mid cycle is the right way to do it and I think that a program without "tradition" is a shame...and Grundy had deep roots in the SWD...if the core moved down together it would have been nice to see it stay intact...that's all I'm saying.

As for the wrestling program...I have nothing but the best wishes for them...would LOVE to see state titles year in and year out...I just don't think you will see a great increase in results by going to single A...think about it and you of all people know that part of the great story in the state titles is that Grundy went out and beat the teams they were not supposed to beat...they were the 2 to 5 time underdog...they flew all over the country and beat everyones ass big and small...that is what made those state titles special...at least to me anyway. Nothing but respect for the wrestling program and the people who built it.

why do you want put down wrestling it has nothing to do with wrestling or football it is because GHS has less than 430 kids now you do the math but mr. north grundy and AD will do every thing to stop it thay have killed the school so why stop now.

Very little will change with Grundy wrestling competing in the BDD. Although the BDD has no wrestling teams, Grundy will win the BDD about as easily as they have won the SWD for the past 25 years.

On a serious note, Coach Rowe will have a difficult time finding games for Grundy. Although, there are plenty of Single A schools to choose from, many will shun Grundy for a while because they "just moved down." Despite the fact that they have been the same size as most of the Single A competition ...............

Why would Rowe have a hadr time. lets look at that because no body likes him that is the reason.........:mad:

why do you want put down wrestling it has nothing to do with wrestling or football it is because GHS has less than 430 kids now you do the math but mr. north grundy and AD will do every thing to stop it thay have killed the school so why stop now.

I agree with your math. It isn't like Grundy has 1000 kids and are dropping to be the biggest single A team in the state. They will be middle of the pack in terms of enrollment.

Edited by GrundyWinsAll

And with that schedule, you can count on being knocked out of the playoffs in the first round every year you make it. If you make it........

Playoffs, you want to talk about playoffs I'm talking about winning some games:-)

You may be right about the weaker schedule, but at least with that schedule you get fans and strengthen the schedule as the team allows.

It does not matter if they wrestle, play basketball, play football or play with themselves. They are doing it as Grundy High School. Good luck Grundy. Get rid of the cancers that get on here and spout off. Play as one and quit trying to run one program in the ground and trying to make the other program better. As has been said on here, you guys are using the same players. When you down one program you are downing the other because it is the same kids playing. Play the game for what it is meant to be played for. In 20 years everyone will be all state or state champions in their minds and the stories they tell. Or better yet they will be on some message board trying to prove they have the answers to every problem and no one else has the right to express theirs, without being called names.

It does not matter if they wrestle, play basketball, play football or play with themselves. They are doing it as Grundy High School. Good luck Grundy. Get rid of the cancers that get on here and spout off. Play as one and quit trying to run one program in the ground and trying to make the other program better. As has been said on here, you guys are using the same players. When you down one program you are downing the other because it is the same kids playing. Play the game for what it is meant to be played for. In 20 years everyone will be all state or state champions in their minds and the stories they tell. Or better yet they will be on some message board trying to prove they have the answers to every problem and no one else has the right to express theirs, without being called names.

I agree with some of your rant, but I think the rest is just another forum rant. (I don't like you criticizing me or mine) I think that the Drop will help to bring the programs together. The jealousy will minimize when all programs are successful. I think this is the first time anyone has helped the kids in this situation. Everyone wants to say scheduleing would be harder, we won't be playing in the SWD, or we can't make as much money from the gate. I think each team will do better. Will B-Ball beat TV? it is a close game.(competeing in playoffs) F-ball will have a hard time with Haysi and Honaker, but should pick up some district wins.( Better than currently doing) Wrestling should be a state powerhouse ( doing better than currently doing) Cross Country should improve to the State Level ( doing better). As for the advice, I do not mean for anything that I have said to demean or degrade anyone. I have been blunt, direct, and to the point with many of my examples of Grundy needing to compete on a level playing field. I know, as with all single A teams, Grundy shares athletes and as my name suggests I get pleasure from every story of prosperity I hear or read about any of the sports programs. And I may offend you here, but unless they are lying in 20 years they will not be all state or state champs unless they have the opportunity to do so. Oh yea, who has been calling names? They should be sat with their nose in the corner.

I don't know what you are reading or not reading....but I'll just tell you straight up to save you the time...I didn't "put down" the wrestling program...not in any way, form, of fashion.

As for the AD and Mr. North Grundy as you call them....I don't think they are the problem or that they have "killed the school"...just my opinion.

week 1 East Ridge

week 2 Shelby Valley

week 3 Twin Valley

week 4 Big Creek

week 5 Hurley

week 6 Pound

week 7 Appalachia

week 8 Haysi

week 9 Castlewood

week 10 Honaker

Hurley tried to get Grundy on the schedule this year for 2009 and the only thing Grundy could do was get them on in 2010 in place of matewan so thats waht happened. I think maybe they could start off 4-2 with this schedule or 3-3. Big Creek and Hurley woud have beat Grundy this year.

Hurley tried to get Grundy on the schedule this year for 2009 and the only thing Grundy could do was get them on in 2010 in place of matewan so thats waht happened. I think maybe they could start off 4-2 with this schedule or 3-3. Big Creek and Hurley woud have beat Grundy this year.
Actually we tried to play but we couldnt make the dates work out until 2010 but it looks like they will be in the BDD anyway. It might be hard for them at first to make a schedule but I think it will get easier once they get a year under their belt.

idk..i believe Hurley vs Grundy this year would have went to whoever scored last..

Guest BB_TWEEDER
idk..i believe Hurley vs Grundy this year would have went to whoever scored last..

Alright this would be my take on it, (not downing Hurley or Grundy) If Hurley would have played like they did against Castlewood they would have beating Grundy fairly easy. If they played like they did Against Haysi, I think Grundy would have beat Hurley. Hurley was two Diff teams the entire season last year.

Alright this would be my take on it, (not downing Hurley or Grundy) If Hurley would have played like they did against Castlewood they would have beating Grundy fairly easy. If they played like they did Against Haysi, I think Grundy would have beat Hurley. Hurley was two Diff teams the entire season last year.

who cares? they didn't play and were not very good teams anyway...either of them.

Guest BB_TWEEDER
who cares? they didn't play and were not very good teams anyway...either of them.

You know you are the biggest sourpuss on this entire msg bored.. Apparently ppl do care Lance it was a subject of topic for a few ppl.. If you dont care dont reply to it!