Some preseason football chatter...

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_171202905.html

Since summer time is here, can football be far away?

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

If it’s time for the Appalachian League to begin, it also means another sport is rapidly approaching.

Football is on the minds of many in the area. In fact, summer practices have already begun for high schools at Bluefield, Princeton and James Monroe, and they’ll start this week at Montcalm.

Fall preparations aren’t too far off either. Football, along with cross country, golf, cheerleading, volleyball (in Virginia) and soccer (in West Virginia) can officially begin on Aug. 3.

From there, the countdown to the opening kickoff will begin.

Here’s a really early look at the upcoming season and the games that await:

There is never a doubt which game is most anticipated. That never changes and it won’t be any different this season. Especially after last season’s controversial ending.

Did Will Cole score in the final seconds, or was he stopped short of a touchdown? In the opinion of the officials (and Graham supporters), the Bluefield senior quarterback didn’t score, the time ran out and the G-Men won 25-23. Ask Bluefield’s side and the opinions will differ.

What awaits in 2009? More than 10,000 of your closest friends will find out on Aug. 28 when the G-Men and Beavers meet at Mitchell Stadium.

That isn’t the only intriguing matchup on the docket this season. There are several interesting tilts coming up, including one game that might look like a mistake when the schedule comes out. It’s not.

It’s hard to be wrong about a school with a tongue-twister of a name like Rappahanock County. Located 65 miles from Washington, D.C., the Panthers have agreed to make the 6-to-8 hour trip to play at Montcalm on Sept. 11.

Montcalm second year coach Justin Gilbert said he was looking for programs that the small school Generals could compete with, and the Panthers — a start-up program entering its third season with a team — contacted him.

While Gilbert couldn’t promise a return trip because of expenses, the Panthers — which finished 3-5 last season against clubs from three states, including a loss to East Hardy in West Virginia — agreed to play the game.

There aren’t a lot of gimmes on the schedules for many of the clubs, especially Graham and Bluefield, two teams that rarely schedule cupcakes. Some college football teams could take a lesson from them, such as — at least this season — Mississippi, Penn State and Rutgers.

The G-Men will not only “travel†to Bluefield, but they’ll host Cave Spring, visit Virginia High, and travel to Princeton. All that on top of the always-rugged Southwest District slate.

As for Bluefield, the Beavers will “host†the G-Men, travel to a pair of Class AAA schools in Princeton and Greenbrier East, host Charlotte Country Day, and then visit tradition-rich Gate City, all in the first five games. All that’s left is another quintet, including Scott, James Monroe and Mount View.

One rivalry will be played for the final time, as long as the new school in Bradshaw continues to progress. Big Creek will travel to Iaeger on Oct. 2 in what should be the final meeting between the two clubs. These schools are slated to consolidate for next school year, and will combine forces in the future as the Riverview Raiders.

One change in a schedule has helped an entire district in Virginia. For years, Honaker and Haysi have played at midseason, with the winner claiming the Black Diamond District title since neither Hurley or Twin Valley have been able to compete with either of the Tigers.

That game has been moved to the season’s final week this year, making the BDD come down to what will probably be a winner-take-all scenario, much like it usually is, only this time it will at least seem more dramatic.

As for the most improved schedule, that has to go to Haysi. The Tigers have often been the subject of complaints from other Region D coaches because of a slate that’s allowed them rack up wins and valuable playoff points.

That has changed. The Tigers will now travel to Giles and Grundy and host Sullivan North. With a slate that begins at Clintwood on the opening week, Haysi will definitely be earning its postseason appearance this season.

One complaint that won’t be heard this season is at Princeton where Ted Spadaro hasn’t liked having to open the last three years with a bye week. It won’t happen this time. The Tigers will travel to Spring Valley, followed by Bluefield, and then face the always-challenging MSAC schedule.

Who will be the best team in the area this season?

My pick is Bluefield. The Beavers lost Cole and Cody Wassum, but that completely new offensive line is no longer new and Marcus Patterson and Jake Lilly are two of the state’s best players. Don’t be surprised if Bluefield is in Wheeling in December playing for the school’s 10th state title.

As for Virginia, the top team has to be Richlands, and will continue to be until they are dethroned. They’ve won five straight Southwest District and Region IV titles, and had been to three consecutive Division 3 state title games before falling a game short in ‘08.

True, the Blue Tornado was hit hard by graduation, but doesn’t that happen every year? The results never seem to change.

The opening kicks are just 69 days away. Enjoy your summer — which officially starts today. The pigskin will start flying soon.

Brian Woodson is the sports editor with the Daily Telegraph. He can be contacted at bwoodson@bdtonline.com.

At the bottom of the report you mentioned Richlands still being one of the top teams in SWVA (as they traditionally have been) despite heavy graduation losses.

I heard that the Lands had a few students recently transfer in, which will immediately bring the dimension of (SPEED) - and that the offense and the play calling was being completely rethought (away from Power I and other smashmouth formations) to one that will open up space and use the whole field to utilize the speed (not usually seen in this part of the state / compared to tidewater region) coming in.

From what I heard, everyone else in the SW District better watch out for this dimension to be brought back even mulitiplied as Reflecting to the days of Jennings, Fuller, Ringstaff, etc.

- and that the offense and the play calling was being completely rethought (away from Power I and other smashmouth formations) to one that will open up space and use the whole field to utilize the speed

Richlands hasn't lined up in anything other than the spread in five years.

What I was referring to was the rumor about the new transfer students @ RHS and how the coaches were going to put on the thinking caps this summer to use the newfound (Speed).

But what we are saying is Richlands has been using its speed for several years in the spread formation. I bet you can count on one hand the number of times the QB has been under center in the last three years. Richlands is not SMASHMOUTH football and hasn't been for quite a while. This "new found" speed isn't new to them...the coaches already have the system in place...

With what i seen at the 7 on 7s the other day Richlands is going to be in great shape come the start of the season the group looked like they were starting to get it together just have a few kinks that need to be worked on. Now i have not seen the linemen yet but if they are able to hold there own Richlands will be very tough to beat. I took a chance to look at the schedule and I see 2 games that are going to be very tough to win for Richlands one of them is PV and the other is the game at CC should be another great year for Richlands I have no idea how they keep doing it year after year.

The speed that has come to Richlands is no faster than the speed they already have. The transfers will make Richlands a deeper team.

I know watching Eli Hearl last year, he definitely could turn the jets on--reminded me a lot of Romy and Caleb.

Life has many choices---eternity two

I know watching Eli Hearl last year, he definitely could turn the jets on--reminded me a lot of Romy and Caleb.

Life has many choices---eternity two

I have heard that Eli Hearl has chosen not to play this season. Too bad, I saw a lot of potential in him as well.

What I was referring to was the rumor about the new transfer students @ RHS and how the coaches were going to put on the thinking caps this summer to use the newfound (Speed).

i've played against the last 3 richlands teams and they have always had more overall team speed than anyone in the SWD at least so idk what you are really talking about it isn't going to change much just make them deeper like someone already said.

I have heard that Eli Hearl has chosen not to play this season. Too bad, I saw a lot of potential in him as well.

i saw him get crushed by shaquille mcdonald haha but the kid did have alot of upside

That happend to anyone that tried to run on the dogs last year haha.

And he big Shag will be back in the middle again for the next 3 years.. Has the potential to be the best to ever come through T-Town...

• 3 weeks later...

Can the Blues live up to everyones expectations with a deep playoff run again or will the youth hurt them this year. Over the last 5 years 60-8, thats some wow numbers, can they keep it going?

If they can gel together quickly and play to there potential in my eyes they could run the table this year during the regular season. I see Gate City and Tazewell being there toughest competition. It looks to be a good year for the Blues.

If they can gel together quickly and play to there potential in my eyes they could run the table this year during the regular season. I see Gate City and Tazewell being there toughest competition. It looks to be a good year for the Blues.

i dont see the Dawgs been one of the toughest games this year, but you never know. I think Abingdon will surprise alot of people this year in district play. What did Lebanon lose from last years team?

Lebanon lost there starting QB and RB. I'm not sure about what else. Tazewell is still going to be tough if the OL comes together. They still have Lockhart and Dean on offense. There Defense will be solid with Mcdonald and Corner back along with a few others. I think they'll be the toughest competition in the district. Abingdon will be decent maybe still another year away.

I dont think anyone knows what we are going to get with this years team (Richlands). So much youth and new faces should be interesting. Does anyone know if the Blues are playing in the scrimmages at graham again this year?

I agree that Richlands has earned top billing in the 2009 pre-season high school football rankings for SWVA. The Blues represent one of our area's larger and stronger HS FB programs and are three time defending regional champions. J. I. Burton and Gate City are deserving of top preseason SWVA considerations as well. The Blue Devils will have a new coach but will continue their successful ways. Clintwood and Lebanon are also defending regional champs but I would place their pre-season rank just a little below the other three schools. I really wanted the Green Wave to bring a state title to SWVA last fall and I know they had a group of players that made such a championship possible.

Eight time state champion and long time SWVA football power Powell Valley should be improved from last year - Coach Robbins described last year's squad as the youngest he'd had in his 25 years at PVHS. One of the suprising scores from last season was the Vikings defeat of the Blue Tornado in Richlands by several touchdowns. I don't look for a PV upset this year but it will be one of the early season games worth watching.

I'm glad the Haysi and Honaker game will be at the end of the Black Diamond District schedule - it will be another worth watching.

Not downing PV by any means but that was one of the worst games I had seen the Blues play in 5 years. They had something like 7 turnovers in that game. At the beg. of the season last year nobody would have expected the Blues to have the season they did including me. That just goes to show what team work and good coaching can do. IF the Blues would have played like they were playing toward the end of reg. season I think they could have probably went 10-0 again, but hey thats football. Hopefully this year they can get off to a good start. I will say it again, if the Blues have a great season this year watch out for the 2010 season, could be another state run, you never know may be a state run this year only time will tell with this young football team

Although 2008 PV over Richlands was a major upset, it was not the biggest that PV has been a part. My offering for SWVA's all-time HS Football game upset also involves PV - but on the losing side - the 1986 playoff game between Powell Valley and Garden in Oakwood.

Powell Valley was defending state champions and undefeated during the 1986 regular season. The Vikings lined up with three first team all-state players - Robbie Fox, Todd Meade, and Shane Jessee. Garden's record in 1986 was 7-3 and they were a surprise BDD representative in the playoffs. The Green Dragons defeated the Vikes 15-0.