Braves

Don't know if I should say anything or not, (don't wanna cause bad luck) but How about them Braves, the pitching is looking good and the hitting is coming along, winners of 5 in a row, and only two out of first in the East.. GO BRAVES.....

A few guys I met at a get together last night were talking about the Braves and how good they're looking right now. Our starting pitching has been solid. Hanson is a stud, i believe he's 4-0 right now.

As long as our bats can continue to crank out runs, we'll be okay

Let's go Bravos

A few guys I met at a get together last night were talking about the Braves and how good they're looking right now. Our starting pitching has been solid. Hanson is a stud, i believe he's 4-0 right now.

As long as our bats can continue to crank out runs, we'll be okay

Let's go Bravos

Yeah, they've looked really good as of late. I went down and watch a game against the Red Sox last week, and even though they lost 2 out of 3 to the Sox they still played them close in all three game, and had a good series IMO.

They just swept the Phillies last week, and beat the Nats last night. They stumbled a little today and gave one away to the Nats. Hanson pitched a hell of a game, but thanks to Mike Gonzalez and the bullpen the Nate came back in the 7th and 8th to take the lead. We were only two games back after last nights win (3 now) and I was hoping for a sweep of the Nats to give us a chance at first before the end of the weekend.

We have a series with the Cubs and the Rockies coming up before the all star break. Maybe we can win about 5 out of the last 7 and take over first before the break.

The deal is, you know it's bad that the Braves aren't even at 500 and you guys are getting excited, saying they're playing well. The deal is, the Braves aren't good.

Well they are definitely not the Braves of the past, but the deal is these guys are just getting excited because they are playing better and have made a couple moves to get players in that are helping the team. The deal is that they are FANS of A team and they are supporting them. I've always loved the Braves from the many divisional championships to the '95 Championship to settling for 3rd place. It's OK to get excited. The fans were used to success and have had a drought for a little while now, so any signs of life is good.

The deal is real fans love their TEAM and support them and get excited when they are looking good.

I'm getting excited because these past few games I've seen very good pitching from the Braves. I've seen the bats at work and i've seen our team actually fired up. I'm a Braves fan and I even got to see them play this year (they won thankfully) and just like I'm sure you do as well getmoney55, you like to see your teams do well.

The deal is, you know it's bad that the Braves aren't even at 500 and you guys are getting excited, saying they're playing well. The deal is, the Braves aren't good.

I guess when you have three different "favorite" teams in each sport you can always find one that is doing good and root for them... :rolleyes:

The deal is that the entire division is mediocre, at best. The Braves were two games out of 1st when this thread was started. That is something to be excited about! This season the division winner may not even be .500!

Edited by BigBlueAlum

I'm a Braves fan, have been for as long as I've known baseball. I'm just being realistic. And yes, the division is weak as far as teams go. As for young talent, it's the best in MLB.

If you are a Braves fan how can you say they are not good? They are at worst, a good team. I know they are not up to par with the Braves teams of the 90's, but they have the makings of a great team.

Let's look at our pitching. Lowe is great, Hanson is turning out to be the real deal, Jurjjens is coming into his own, then Vasquez and Kawakami both have been pretty solid, and have a bright future ahead of them. Then if Hudson comes back to the line up the second half, you wont find a much better rotation in the NL.

The Bullpen could stand a couple of upgrades, but even there we aren't looking that bad. Gonzalez has been a week spot as of late, but Soriano has been amazing. O'Flarehty, Bennett, Moylan, and Acosta are all decent middle relief guys.

Now to our line-up. That is what I was excited to see against the Phillies. We scored a bunch of runs against them, and a whole bunch of timely 2-out hits that really carried us through the sweep. We have the weapons to score some runs, they just haven't all been clicking together at the right times. Martin Prado was a machine last week. If he keeps this up then Kelly Johnson wont touch the field the rest of the season, and that would be fine by me.

I just really think that the Braves have a shot at the division this season. And I don't see how any true Braves fan could not be excited over the sweep over the Phillies and coming within 2 games of first place.

Francouer couldn't hit the side of a barn and swings at EVERY thing. He's definitely one of the most overhyped prospects in recent years.

What he said.

I'm just a little disappointed that the Braves settled for Ryan Church for him. Although he is a little overrated, I'm positive there are some teams out there that the Braves could've worked something out with and gotten a player who is a little higher caliber than that of Church.

But as hard as it was to watch him swing the bat, Francoeur was truly one of my favorite Braves who not only led his life the right way, but was an excellent role model for all the fans who watched him.

What he said.

I'm just a little disappointed that the Braves settled for Ryan Church for him. Although he is a little overrated, I'm positive there are some teams out there that the Braves could've worked something out with and gotten a player who is a little higher caliber than that of Church.

But as hard as it was to%

The Braves have been shopping Jeff for awhile. The "writing was on the wall" when he (Jeff) went to an outside source for help w/his hitting in the off season. Pendleton and the club were not happy w/that and there were some lingering feelings. Wren even referenced that in an interview yesterday w/the media. I think "all in all".....the Braves management wanted Jeff to get a fresh start with another club. Jeff is a local kid (from Gwinnett) and had alot of pressure/hype on him. IMO, they didn't want to send him back down and was looking for "any" team, yes, even a division rival willing to help ....and since Church was not endeared to his manager....that was the solution/resolution for both teams. Church is left handed however.....and that is something the Braves really didn't need...but I think they wanted to just "get this matter" over.

Jeff is a tremendous role model in his community and for young ppl and I can tell you most fans are wishing him nothing but the best.

Following is AJC storyline on trade:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2009/07/10/jeff_francoeur_trade_braves_mets.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

• 2 months later...

Well, don't look now, but we're hanging by a thread in the Wild Card race and playing well right now. The boys are up here tonight (found tickets on stubhub.com for $0.99) with Huddy on the mound against Pelfrey. I'm interested to see how we finish out this season.

Also, what are your thoughts about Bobby announcing that he's going to be done after next season?

Bobby Cox is the Braves to me. He deserves to go out on his own terms. It was reported he will stay on in an advisory capacity. One of the most outstanding baseball managers in MLB history.

Me too, I agree, he'd be the best advisers available, and yes, I agree. Haha, good post blueinbama.

Also, Chip is talking about retirement??? I'm not too sure I'm buying that one, but still, it's scary.

you guys are insane...if not for Bobby Cox the Braves would have at least 3 WS rings from the 90's instead of just 1...I don't know how many knuckle headed calls I've seen this guy make over the years from allowing Otis Nixon to do a bunt to make the last out to riding a pitcher that is clearly toast an extra inning or two and blow a 3 run lead...he's a manager that's been around a long time who should have been fired a long long time ago for the stuff he did...and didn't do.

by the way.. I met him the very day he whipped his wife's ass and got arrested...lol...he was in a good mood when i met him then 5 hours later he was in jail lol.

you guys are insane...if not for Bobby Cox the Braves would have at least 3 WS rings from the 90's instead of just 1...I don't know how many knuckle headed calls I've seen this guy make over the years from allowing Otis Nixon to do a bunt to make the last out to riding a pitcher that is clearly toast an extra inning or two and blow a 3 run lead...he's a manager that's been around a long time who should have been fired a long long time ago for the stuff he did...and didn't do.

by the way.. I met him the very day he whipped his wife's ass and got arrested...lol...he was in a good mood when i met him then 5 hours later he was in jail lol.

...Thanks Lance.

But I think 2400+ wins speak for themselves.