Richlands Schedule

GHS89

Did I see correctly that the only AA games Richlands is playing are the district games? They are, and have been for some time, a very good team. One of the best around. But, one wonders if a couple of more state titles could have been won in recent years if they had played foes from outside the immediate area. Congratulations Richlands on your upcoming undefeated season.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another silly fan. Your team made playoffs couple of those years why didn't they beat Richlands if it had anything to with other teams on their schedule. And since you talking about Powell Valley, Gate City, and another CMD contender Lebanon why wouldn't your team want to play them, they are good enough to beat you............

All AA teams this side of Pulaski County are in the SWD. The rest of the teams in SW Virginia are Single-A. AA teams east of Pulaski will not travel to Richlands because they don't need to. They have enough AA opponents closer to home. Richlands has long standing rivalries with Gate City and Powell Valley (who are both larger than many AA schools, and in an average year will beat many AA schools). Honaker is the closest school to Richlands and is a sponsored game. They have 55 kids on the roster, Richlands has 63 so it's not exactly a mismatch. Lebanon is only 20 miles from Richlands, and just like Honaker, they will pack Ernie Hicks Stadium every other year. It's great that Graham plays teams like Blacksburg every year but those teams don't want to drive the extra 40 miles to Richlands.

Did I see correctly that the only AA games Richlands is playing are the district games? They are, and have been for some time, a very good team. One of the best around. But, one wonders if a couple of more state titles could have been won in recent years if they had played foes from outside the immediate area. Congratulations Richlands on your upcoming undefeated season.

I wouldn't go and say they have a undefeated season coming up, by what I have heard from the Richlands fan's is that they were strong in some areas but still need lots of work in others.. They could go undefeated but we are still 12 weeks before the end of the regular season... Still a-lot of football to be played.

Richlands has long standing rivalries with Gate City and Powell Valley

But these are "everybody's homecoming type teams"...don't you remember? haha ;)

One thing though, actually PV's only larger than a couple of AA schools (Grundy and Graham) and GC just a couple more.

Edited by Beamerball

BigD4VT's points are valid indeed. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to see Richlands play some teams from somewhere other than the deep southwest. It would match them up with various styles of play, and most definately increased team speed. It is not good for one's post season goals to have the first team sitting every Friday during the 4th quarter. You gotta test the metal. It is my opinion that Richlands should have won more than one title in recent years.

thundercloud, My team didn't beat Richlands during those years for a number of reasons. Foremost being that Richlands either had better players or executed better. No matter what, Richlands has been the better team in the SW District since 2004. No sour grapes here, just digging on a point. I concede my that my original closing statement may have been antagonistic.

I think most people in Richlands would love to see them play some Roanoke area teams during the regular season, but like I said, those teams won't come here. However, since 2004 they've played eight of the best AA teams in the state. All made the state semi-finals, five made the finals, and three were state champions.

BigD4VT's points are valid indeed. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to see Richlands play some teams from somewhere other than the deep southwest. It would match them up with various styles of play, and most definately increased team speed. It is not good for one's post season goals to have the first team sitting every Friday during the 4th quarter. You gotta test the metal. It is my opinion that Richlands should have won more than one title in recent years.

thundercloud, My team didn't beat Richlands during those years for a number of reasons. Foremost being that Richlands either had better players or executed better. No matter what, Richlands has been the better team in the SW District since 2004. No sour grapes here, just digging on a point. I concede my that my original closing statement may have been antagonistic.

Shouldn't have jumped as I did. Just this subject has been debated couple times a year for the last 4 or 5 years. It is, what it is.

1st string sitting every 4th Quarter? LOL! Were they sitting in the 4th last year with Gate City or Powell Valley?

No, not last year, but if a team can do that it allows 2nd and 3rd string play which is a very good thing if one can go deep in the play offs.

But would agree that a team needs a very strong team toward the end of the season to prep them for playoffs. Feel like Graham has been one of those teams in the past.

Edited by thundercloud

I would love to see Richlands schedule Salem, Pulaski, Amherst...etc. But think about those schools who have a dogfight every week. They play in the River RIdge and the Semonole disrict where every team is dangerous. They get a chance to play a non-district opponent and they are not to fast to bring in Richlands who could easily compete for either district title (River Ridge or Seminole) year in and year out. Not only is Richlands a long trip for those teams, it is another potential loss.

No, not last year, but if a team can do that it allows 2nd and 3rd string play which is a very good thing if one can go deep in the play offs.

But would agree that a team needs a very strong team toward the end of the season to prep them for playoffs. Feel like Graham has been one of those teams in the past.

That is true. Would like to see the Gate City-Richlands game moved to later in the season. That would help them both so much better.