Bluefield WVA @ Gate City VA

Jason

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate that bigd.

That's the way I'll go back most likely. Me and the dogs (I have to bring 1 of my cats to, she's a special needs cat and I don't care to leave her by herself for that long, she rides well in a carrier) are gonna enjoy some of the day up on brumley mountain before heading to abingdon to look around some and then meeting my parents and sister for supper in bristol before heading on to the game. they aren't going though.

So anyhow I'll be leaving from there.

Hope you have a safe trip down and back Buzz, and the rest of the Bluefield folks.

I appreciate it, it should be a fun time.

So what route would you recommend from the abingdon bristol area, if you had to go from gate city to there what way would you go??

I live in Bristol now (Exit 7). I always Take 11W to Kingsport then take the John B. Dennis exit through Wadlow Gap. For you guys that don't know that way, I'd take 81 down to the 26 interchange and come towards Kingsport. 26 will take you to Weber City and it's a straight shot until you get to Gate City.

I'm listening to the broadcast...WTF is the deal with blowing the horns every time Gate City makes a play? That's stupid, in my opinion.

(Edit) Jeezus!!!!! That is f-ing annoying!!! Any play for positive yardage, those yahoos blow the horn.

Edited by BeaverHokie

I'm listening to the broadcast...WTF is the deal with blowing the horns every time Gate City makes a play? That's stupid, in my opinion.

(Edit) Jeezus!!!!! That is f-ing annoying!!! Any play for positive yardage, those yahoos blow the horn.

That right there is exactly why we do it. It is aggravating for thw away players and fans, it is tradition, and it keeps the other team and fans knowing we are making plays and that stays in the back of their minds. It also fires everyone up

That was a good win for GC. Bluefield is hardnosed and pretty fast. The Qb Lilly is tough, but he got worn out. GC had a nice game plan and executed it very well, and besides the turnover just before the half, played pretty mistake free football.

The Beavers put 11 men in the box most of the night (seemed like more sometimes) and i was impressed with all the hard hitting from both teams. GC managed to play the swarm defense and came up with the big stops when it mattered. QB Clark broke a big run midway through the 3rd quarter to the 6 inch line that probably was the biggest play of the game. GC took the 14-6 lead on the QB keeper on the next play.

GC tacked on another TD late that really put the game away. GC staff showed class by kneeling on the ball at the end at the 1yd line after a Beaver fumble.

It was the type of game i expected, possibly not the final margin.

To be honest, I don't think the horn was blown all that much tonight. Call the ACLU, or UCLA, or whoever and give them your complaint. I'm sure there's some kinda group for something like this.

Bluefield got outcoached. Gate city is a well coached and play fundamental football. Freddy Jr ran 4 different plays all night and he was lost. As far as the horn Home Field Advantage use what you can.

To be honest, I don't think the horn was blown all that much tonight. Call the ACLU, or UCLA, or whoever and give them your complaint. I'm sure there's some kinda group for something like this.

Hey, it's the Gate City fans that are all nutso about the whole ACLU and praying thing...don't blame us.

They blew the horn pretty much every time GC stopped Bluefield for 2 yards or less, and apparently about every time a GC play gained positive yards.

Most normal, respectable, civilized places might have something like that nonsense after every score...or maybe, at worst, after every first down, or change in possession.

I'll just say this...it makes me have zero respect for Gate City, especially with you people defending that idiotic nonsense.

Edited by BeaverHokie

That right there is exactly why we do it. It is aggravating for thw away players and fans, it is tradition, and it keeps the other team and fans knowing we are making plays and that stays in the back of their minds. It also fires everyone up

You have to have a freaking TRAIN HORN blow at least a hundred times a night to fire you guys up? It's the most ridiculous and idiotic thing I have heard at a high school game. Ring a cow bell or something, or just yell really loud.

Bluefield got outcoached. Gate city is a well coached and play fundamental football. Freddy Jr ran 4 different plays all night and he was lost. As far as the horn Home Field Advantage use what you can.

Bluefield was without a quarterback, and while I'm not privy as to why, taking Jake Lilly and putting him in that situation was a double-whammy, as it took away his ability to get a head of steam running, took away any ability to block for other runners, and limited Bluefield to about the 4 plays you saw. Horrible decision in my opinion on Bluefield's part.

As to the horn...call it "home field advantage" all you like, it's still tacky, and classless in my opinion. I don't expect a single one of the Gate City fans will ever agree with me on that, and that's fine. Other respectful teams talk about making their facility welcoming to the opposing fans, and making it a tough place to play due to loud fans, not a blowing a freaking train horn a hundred times a night.

Time to put the big girl panties on and deal with it. LOL

What?

I'm calling you guys out for being annoying clowns. We lost the game, I can deal with that. The idiotic annoying horn is a completely different issue.

Most places, the most annoying thing is poor seating or the PA guy saying "First DOWN!!" really loud. Gate City takes being annoying pests to an all new level.

The horn not for your benifit sitting home listen to the radio. Plain and simple is to fire up the GC team. We have had the horn many years so if that is your problem so be it. I could care less your about opinion on the horn. It seems to be something every week, cheerleaders, saying a prayer before a game, bringing to many fans etc...

What?

I'm calling you guys out for being annoying clowns. We lost the game, I can deal with that. The idiotic annoying horn is a completely different issue.

Most places, the most annoying thing is poor seating or the PA guy saying "First DOWN!!" really loud. Gate City takes being annoying pests to an all new level.

You team lost. They're a very good team and we were fortunate to beat them. How old are you, 12? If it was that painful for you, why didn't you turn the dang thing off?

I was complimented by Bluefield fans at Wendy's after the game. There's always going to be somebody that has to cry about something. You guys have a heckuva team. That defense is very impressive.