Swine Flu

-oo-

I am sure some of you all are tired of hearing about this.

I am just wondering if any of you know anyone who has it.

Rumors going around are that Graham Intermediate, Graham Middle, and Graham High all have a few cases of this.

I haven't heard about any other schools but I am just wondering if anyone knows of any other local schools that have it.

Have heard that there are in fact confirmed cases of swine flu at Graham(dont remeber the school) and Richlands Middle. Spoke with my doc today and was told that the belief now is that most cases of the flu reported in our area may in fact be swine flu. Getting my toddler a flu shot in the morning and will have to wait a month for the child shot (or nasal vac.) for swine flu.

You must be kidding. This stuff is no worse than the normal flu, and is barely more contagious.

I am flabbergasted at how fearful people are over this.

for those of us with very small kids, it's a scary thing....i could care less myself...if i get it i'll whip it's ass...i just don't want my kids to get sick.

Up here in NYC, they're making everyone who works in the healthcare field get a flu shot. Yep, that's me. Forced, by law, to get mine today.

It's not uncommon. When I worked in the healthcare field, I had to have the flu shot yearly.

You must be kidding. This stuff is no worse than the normal flu, and is barely more contagious.

Just heard of a kid dieing from the Swine Flu in WV, so yeah I am worried about, with my two kids. And if it's not contagious, this how is spreading so rapidly?

Up here in NYC, they're making everyone who works in the healthcare field get a flu shot. Yep, that's me. Forced, by law, to get mine today.

No Constitutional issues with that, no siree...

/Sarcasm.

Even though it's common practice, there are BIG issues with that, IMO.

Edited by UVAObserver

Just heard of a kid dieing from the Swine Flu in WV, so yeah I am worried about, with my two kids. And if it's not contagious, this how is spreading so rapidly?

Ugh, I never said it was not contagious. In fact, I admitted that it was more contagious than normal.

I understand the concern for the especially young and the especially old. Their immune systems are the weakest, and those people should get H1N1 flu shots (when they come out) regardless and ASAP. In fact, there will be batches of vaccinations for those age groups as early as next week (at least in PA). However, unless this thing takes a very severe mutation (which has not happened and likely will not), people will be fine. It's no more dangerous than the regular flu. The regular flu happens every year. Simmer down, my friends.

Edited by UVAObserver

Swine flu puts younger people at highest risk ( as opposed to the elderly with normal flu) and that makes it much worse in my opinion. Most older people get the flu shot every year anyway but younger people usually don't. Without vaccinations it will keep spreading and more than likely kill a large number of people. That's the reason for the concern and the push to get people vaccinated. Even if you aren't worried about it being any worse than the normal flu you should still get the shots to help stop it. I'm like Lance, if I get it I get it... but if I get it and pass it on to my nephews (one 7 months and the other 9 years) I don't think I could live with that knowing simple shot would have prevented it.

By the way, you have to get TWO shots. One for the normal flu and one for the swine flu. The second one isn't available yet.

No Constitutional issues with that, no siree...

/Sarcasm.

Even though it's common practice, there are BIG issues with that, IMO.

Haha, yeah...

It's stupid because I don't mind getting a flu shot. I just don't want to be required by law to get one.

There was 105 absent today at GHS and i heard they sent one person home and i also heard that 30+ kids checked out by 11:00.

I've heard from a member of the BRMC board that there were over 100 absent yesterday from Graham schools that includes teachers and students. All that have been tested have been positive for H1N1. Richlands has a reported case too I've heard. I don't think there is any doubt it's here. It's just not something to go crazy over and hiding in your basement afraid for your life!!.

I wonder when it will start affecting the high school football games being played.

you dont have to get a flu shot if you are that worried about your rights being violated...just move to a different line of work that doesnt require it....lol.

i went to Walgreens and got my regular flu shot the other day...no big deal...you guys should all go get one...even if your insurance doesn't cover it the thing only costs $25 and that's well worth it. Mine was covered through work...but i would have gotten it anyway if it wasn't.

My doc says 2nd week of october for the swine flu shot...so i'm getting that as soon as possible...for me and my kids as well...the youger kids have to have 2 swine flu vaccinations a few days apart...adults only get one for swine flu...then you also have your regular flu shot as well which is out now so don't wait...go get the regular flu shot now!

Graham High had 149 absent today.

Graham Middle had around 120 absent.

A lot of people think the kids are faking it.

They think they get the sniffles or a cough and the parents freak out and make them stay home.

I say better safe then sorry though.

Graham High had 149 absent today.

Graham Middle had around 120 absent.

A lot of people think the kids are faking it.

They think they get the sniffles or a cough and the parents freak out and make them stay home.

I say better safe then sorry though.

Sad. I remember going to school for four days with the chicken pox before the teacher called my mom and asked her to keep me home...

If I had stayed home everytime I had the sniffles, I'd have never gone to school...

Swine flu puts younger people at highest risk ( as opposed to the elderly with normal flu) and that makes it much worse in my opinion. Most older people get the flu shot every year anyway but younger people usually don't. Without vaccinations it will keep spreading and more than likely kill a large number of people. That's the reason for the concern and the push to get people vaccinated. Even if you aren't worried about it being any worse than the normal flu you should still get the shots to help stop it. I'm like Lance, if I get it I get it... but if I get it and pass it on to my nephews (one 7 months and the other 9 years) I don't think I could live with that knowing simple shot would have prevented it.

By the way, you have to get TWO shots. One for the normal flu and one for the swine flu. The second one isn't available yet.

I know that you have to get two, and I would urge everyone to do so.

The law school gave us the chance to get them today. Check that one off.

The second will be available where I am next week.

you dont have to get a flu shot if you are that worried about your rights being violated...just move to a different line of work that doesnt require it....lol.

You're missing the point here, Lance. That's a BIG violation of substantive due process under the Fourteenth Amendment. I mean, it's just good safety to get one, and I would urge everyone to get both flu shots. However, that doesn't excuse the Constitutional violation.

I know that you have to get two, and I would urge everyone to do so.

The law school gave us the chance to get them today. Check that one off.

The second will be available where I am next week.

I'm planning to get the regular shot Monday, but tonight I feel like I'm getting a stomach bug and you aren't supposed to take the shot when you're sick. I get gastroenteritis (stomach flu) fairly often but I don't know if similar symptoms are associated with swine flu. Either way it's bad timing with a (potentially rainy) game tomorrow night.

You're missing the point here, Lance. That's a BIG violation of substantive due process under the Fourteenth Amendment. I mean, it's just good safety to get one, and I would urge everyone to get both flu shots. However, that doesn't excuse the Constitutional violation.

yeah i know ...i was just making a little joke there.