Richlands @ Cave Spring

BigD4VT

If you want to watch some real football, go watch the River Ridge teams play, sorry if I hurt your feelings.

10 years ago...the SouthWest District could hang, not now.

Richlands would compete with any teams in the River Ridge this year. Would they finish first, probably not, but the truth of the matter is that this is a year in which there are no dominant AA teams (not named Amherst) in either Region 3 or Region 4. Looking around this side of the state, there's a reason you have a bunch of 7-3, 8-2 and 9-1 teams, and it's not because they're all great. Salem just beat Magna Vista by a td in the last minute of the game. That might not have been significant in 2002, but in 2009 it speaks volumes. As I mentioned in another post, C'burg edged a poor Floyd County (3-7) Single A school by 3.

Does that mean C'burg is is inferior to Richlands? No, but it doesn't leave me feeling awestruck either.

You're feeling a little inferior because, as you stated, the rest of the SWD sucks. Richlands doesn't, and the last 5 years has proved that superior coaching can balance out a lack of numbers, and a lack of in-district competition.

As for Friday's game, I don't know who will win, but I wouldn't bet against Richlands.........and if they do lose, wait til next year, cause I don't think anyone in the River Ridge other than Salem will want a piece of that team......

Edited by parsons

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest quispbird
They've done quite well over the past few years, but those accomplishments won't help them this friday night. The River Ridge is very deep this year and quality from top to bottom.

LMAO. So pulaski was a part of that deep from top to bottom?

And cave spring was horrible to you at the beginning of the season but now are great since they didn't finish 2-8? Damn son make your mind up.

That 2-8 record would've been 9-1 with the schedule that Richlands played...

I changed my mind about Cave Spring when I saw them play. The game will be played on the field on friday night, not on the message board, so brag to me after Richlands wins. By the way, when I was 4 years old, I also believed in Santa Clause, but my opinion changed over time.

Edited by futbolking

Guest quispbird

I'm confused now. You're a graham fan. Yet you watched richlands and pulaski county play all 10 games this season to know that pc would have went 9-1 with richlands schedule?

You sir are a freakin genius! lmao

It really won't matter who says what after Friday night. I believe this will be a knock down drag out slobber knocker, with the difference being turnovers and penalties. Richlands will represent the Southwest District with pride, and Cave Spring will proudly represent the River Ridge. I think these two teams are fairly evenly matched, but we won't know until the game is played. Good luck to the Blues!

The River Ridge is very deep this year and quality from top to bottom.

That's purely a matter of opinion, and you've made yours very clear.

Not that I'm entering a skunk into the contest, but "top to bottom" the Seminole District is far superior to the River Ridge IMO. And I'm not sure what difference that makes this time of year.

I just remembered a tidbit of information that's highly relevant -- Graham resents the SWD and would probably like to withdraw from the league.

When the implosion of the New River District was well underway (about 20 years ago), Graham was very interested in joining what was then to be the reconstituted Blue Ridge District along with Blacksburg and Christiansburg. They were firmlly rebuffed, and the unofficial policy was affirmed which said that Graham, Grundy, Richlands, and Tazewell would remain in the same district for as long as all four schools are AA.

Don't know if this fully explains the River Ridge District lovefest expressed by some on this board, but it's at least very interesting.

By watching cave play and richlands there is no doubt it won't be a good game but i believe cave spring actually matches up with or maybe even have more straight up athletes than richlands and thats something that richlands isn't use to seeing. Plus its played at cave so if i was a betting man i'd put my money on cave. and just single out some key players for cave 53 77 1 12 6 11 10 28 just to name a few but those are there standouts and unbelievable playmakers

I just remembered a tidbit of information that's highly relevant -- Graham resents the SWD and would probably like to withdraw from the league.

When the implosion of the New River District was well underway (about 20 years ago), Graham was very interested in joining what was then to be the reconstituted Blue Ridge District along with Blacksburg and Christiansburg. They were firmlly rebuffed, and the unofficial policy was affirmed which said that Graham, Grundy, Richlands, and Tazewell would remain in the same district for as long as all four schools are AA.

Don't know if this fully explains the River Ridge District lovefest expressed by some on this board, but it's at least very interesting.

Not to veer too far off the original subject, but..

As recent as 1994 (maybe even 96, I can't remember--it was around the time Radford dropped to Group A) Blacksburg, Christiansburg and Carroll Co nearly ended up in the SWD. Of course, in the end only Carroll moved and the Burgs went to the Blue Ridge.

There were also a lot of newspaper stories at the time that had the BRD moving to Region IV and most people thought it was a done deal. The Piedmont moved instead thinking their schools would compete better due to the similarities in enrollment.

By watching cave play and richlands there is no doubt it won't be a good game but i believe cave spring actually matches up with or maybe even have more straight up athletes than richlands and thats something that richlands isn't use to seeing. Plus its played at cave so if i was a betting man i'd put my money on cave. and just single out some key players for cave 53 77 1 12 6 11 10 28 just to name a few but those are there standouts and unbelievable playmakers

Actually Richlands is use to seeing other teams with more athletes on the field. They see it in the state playoffs. Yes but the one thing that will hurt Cave in this game will be guys playing both ways. Do you remember how many of these guys you listed plays both sides of the ball. I know no. 1 does, I'm not sure about the rest.

Get some facts then you can talk to us? RHS 1992, 2006 (state champions) 2007 (State Finalists) 2008 ( State Finalists) Pulaski who? thanks

im not the one on here sayin their bad, i said they would beat pulaski...so ur sayin this to the wrong person

You do not even comprehend what I'm saying, so I don't know why I'm even responding...but I'll try this one more time....I think Richlands has a decent team, but they wouldn't do jack squat in the River Ridge district......go ahead and live in your dream world, but neither Richlands or any other team from the SouthWest District would be able to compete in the River Ridge. Richlands may finish next to last, the rest of the district would be destroyed in every single game....

And let's talk about this year's team...not the last 5 Richlands teams...they're not playing on friday.

If you think that's dumb, that's your sheltered opinion.

If you want to watch some real football, go watch the River Ridge teams play, sorry if I hurt your feelings.

10 years ago...the SouthWest District could hang, not now.

i wasnt saying anything about the swd competin in riverridge u just said pulaski county would beat richlands. so i gave u my opinion of how i think ur wrong about that

Guest quispbird

Less than 24 hours until gametime. Can't wait!

Good luck to Richlands! Do what you've done for the last 5 years. Bring home another regional championship!!