2009-2010: The Winter It Never Stopped Snowing

Deleted Account

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great....glad to hear the good news..

UPS truck just slid sideways down my hill.....then about 10 minutes later...a tractor (with a plow blade) comes down the street...and had his blade up?????...what the crap...I'm buried in snow at my house....

A UPS truck got stuck at the top of my hill as well

Finally dug my car out today, saw 2 wrecks in the span of 5 minutes while driving to walmart...Still trying to decide if it's mainly due to the snow or due to people's poor driving skills

snow doesn't wreck people anymore than guns kill people...someone has to pull the trigger...people can't drive.

snow doesn't wreck people anymore than guns kill people...someone has to pull the trigger...people can't drive.

I'm firmly convinced that about 5% of people below the Mason-Dixon line know how to drive in snow. Slowing down to 20 MPH on a road that's barely covered causes far more wrecks than going 45 MPH in 2 inches of snow. And I firmly believe this.

I'm firmly convinced that about 5% of people below the Mason-Dixon line know how to drive in snow. Slowing down to 20 MPH on a road that's barely covered causes far more wrecks than going 45 MPH in 2 inches of snow. And I firmly believe this.

I agree...same thing if you try to merge on to the interstate at 40 mph when everyone else is going 65-70+...you have an on ramp, use it!

For the record, I have instructed any of my friends and family to "run" at the sight of a Pennsylvania tag...they are dangerous in any weather...second only to Deleware as the scariest drivers I've encountered in my travels.

For the record, I have instructed any of my friends and family to "run" at the sight of a Pennsylvania tag...they are dangerous in any weather...second only to Deleware as the scariest drivers I've encountered in my travels.

Where do BFO's rank on your list???

I agree...same thing if you try to merge on to the interstate at 40 mph when everyone else is going 65-70+...you have an on ramp, use it!

I take it you never traveled to Alabama. The poor upkeep of the roads, the condition of the cars (no inspection,) and the number of bad drivers is scary. I would hate to see it snow down there.

I take it you never traveled to Alabama. The poor upkeep of the roads, the condition of the cars (no inspection,) and the number of bad drivers is scary. I would hate to see it snow down there.

my dad said they're calling for 2-4 inches today, with ice. Tuscaloosa County closed schools for today just because they were calling for it. you're definitely right about the roads-horrible. about 60% of the cars down there wouldn't pass the VA inspection, thats for sure.

last year they got like 6 inches or so at a time, and my dad said on his way to work they shut down I59 and he had seen 10+ wrecks in a stretch of 5 miles.

It is snowing here in ATL...projected 1 to 2 inches.

The wildest drivers ANYWHERE are here in the metro area. Many are from up north and think they're the best drivers in the world and especially in snow. They can't grasp that metro ATL has minimal snow equipment, salt and hundreds of bridges that ice rather quickly when the temps drop. I would venture to say many of the accidents, weather related, are caused by ppl that feel "invincible" and say "this is nothing."

Was driving to the airport on Wed. dropping some ppl off that were going skiing out West....and the nuts that were texting/talking on cell phones that could not stay in their lanes on I-85S was absolutely scary.....truly. (A young man suffered head injuries in an accident while driving and texting last week....and the police just charged a woman for texting while driving that resulted in a fatality.)

I used to drive in big snow in VA and it didn't bother me.....here in ATL with ALL the traffic, any negative weather and with distracted drivers.......just help us all.

Edited by trublue

I'm really tired of this snow, I haven't even received my mail since Monday...Went to the post office twice so far right before they closed, and of course both times they say it's in a big pile that they can't dig through at the time and that it will be delivered tommorrow...bunch of BS!

I used to live in Alabama...as long as they don't get involved in snow, they are ok....they do most of the crazy stuff off the road in the mud down there...although, the lack of inspections does produce some strange looking vehicles...but for the most part as a whole I didn't have many problems with the driving abilities....DE and PA are the ones I watch out for.

On to Winter storm threat #...well, I'm losing count, haha. Winter Storm watches going up around the area, Morristown, Charleston, and Jackson have issued them for their areas from Sunday evening-Monday night, would expect Blacksburg to follow suit fairly soon.

On to Winter storm threat #...well, I'm losing count, haha. Winter Storm watches going up around the area, Morristown, Charleston, and Jackson have issued them for their areas from Sunday evening-Monday night, would expect Blacksburg to follow suit fairly soon.

Yes, this one will be a "clipper event" sweeping down out of Canadia (yeh, typo on purpose)...6"-9" possible is what I'm hearing/seeing by Tuesday.

And there's another in the pipeline for next Saturday/Sunday...taking the "southern route"...depends on the track but this one has "potential" too...

Yes, this one will be a "clipper event" sweeping down out of Canadia (yeh, typo on purpose)...6"-9" possible is what I'm hearing/seeing by Tuesday.

And there's another in the pipeline for next Saturday/Sunday...taking the "southern route"...depends on the track but this one has "potential" too...

great...my street won't be clear until april....

clipper is going to be week around 3 maybe 4 inches for blfd.....weekend storm way off and probably will not happen.

Yep, all weather services are backing off the original 6"-9" prediction...now calling for 2"-4".

Yeah, they're backing off but its going to be interesting as not all are. I follow this guy pretty closely, although he forecasts mainly for KY (and WV, he's with WSAZ now and has a blog there too), but he's done the opposite and upped his totals. Seems it also a bit of a GFS vs. NAM battle...NAM spitting out lesser with the GFS having the upslope snow event behind the system much stronger.

http://kyweathercenter.com/

These clippers can and have overacheived, especially when get far enough south to tap into more gulf moisture. Guess we'll see what happens.

Edited by Beamerball

I'll go with 3 to 5 inches...NOAA is usually pretty on the mark.

Winter Weather Advisory for Washington, VA

from 12 am EST, Mon., Feb. 15, 2010 until 6 am EST, Tue., Feb. 16, 2010

Issued by The National Weather Service

Knoxville/Tri-Cities, TN

3:05 pm EST, Sun., Feb. 14, 2010

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM EST TUESDAY...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM EST TUESDAY.

* TIMING: SNOW WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY WITH A COLD FRONT AFTER MIDNIGHT... AND LINGER THROUGH MONDAY MORNING. SNOW SHOWERS WILL THEN CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT.

* ACCUMULATIONS: SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE BY MONDAY NIGHT... WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

* IMPACTS: SNOW COVERED ROADS WILL MAKE DRIVING HAZARDOUS TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT. IN ADDITION... BREEZY WINDS ON MONDAY WILL COMBINE WITH COLD TEMPERATURES TO PRODUCE BITTER WIND CHILLS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

DRIVING AND WALKING MAY BE DIFFICULT ON UNTREATED ROADWAYS AND SIDEWALKS. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... SLOW DOWN AND ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION.

&&

More Information

... ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL EXPECTED TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT...

.A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER THE WESTERN TENNESSEE RIVER VALLEY WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE EAST TONIGHT... WITH ITS ASSOCIATED COLD FRONT MOVING THROUGH THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN REGION AFTER MIDNIGHT. SNOW WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT... AND WILL LINGER THROUGH MONDAY MORNING. ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE ENTIRE AREA BY MONDAY MORNING... ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS ABOVE 2500 FEET. BEHIND THE COLD FRONT... COLD NORTHWESTERLY WINDS WILL GENERATE SNOW SHOWERS THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT.

Its interesting to see the various amounts this time. It appears we'll see a heavy snow band to start of early, then the northwest flow kicks in putting down more accumulation, not sure how much emphasis there is with the latter. The NAM is showing about 2-5 across the area through an 84 hr period (doesn't go any further, DGEX covers that). The GFS showing a good 6-10 inch swath across this area through the 84 hr time frame and then 8-14 total after all is said and done, and that's a 102 hr total as it has the northwest flow still going that long. Neither are showing much through a 30-36 hr period. Just depends on how much moisture is pulled up ahead of the system and then the strength of the northwestly flow event behind the front. Looks like though, they're going with the NAM on this one. I guess its like I said before, guess we'll see what happens, haha.

NAM

http://wxcaster4.com/nam/CONUS_ETA212_SFC_ACCUM-SNOWFALL_84HR.gif

GFS

http://grib2.com/gfs/CONUS_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_108HR.gif

http://wxcaster.com/conus_snowfall.htm

Edited by Beamerball