2009-2010: The Winter It Never Stopped Snowing

Deleted Account

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://wxcaster4.com/gfs/CONUS2_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_120HR.gif

Round III, coming up! This might even be worse than the first two...

The graph shows my county of Wise of only getting maybe 4 inches ,but it looks as though central Va. gets clobbered with double digits of snow. What is going on with this weather??? We had a mix of snow and ice here today. School is out again today , our church services have been impacted too this year by the weather and it looks like this weekend may be similiar as last.

The graph shows my county of Wise of only getting maybe 4 inches ,but it looks as though central Va. gets clobbered with double digits of snow. What is going on with this weather??? We had a mix of snow and ice here today. School is out again today , our church services have been impacted too this year by the weather and it looks like this weekend may be similiar as last.

It's global warming! Where have you been? hahaha

Obama would blame all this snow and school closings on Bush.

I think I'll blame Punxsutawney Phil since he saw his shadow this morning! haha

Edited by bhs7695

Guest JJBrickface

Its snowing pretty good in Wytheville right now. Right now the forecast is saying another 1-3 inches and freezing rain. I had to cancel my work plans in Christiansburg. Not cool.

It's global warming! Where have you been? hahaha

Obama would blame all this snow and school closings on Bush.

I think I'll blame Punxsutawney Phil since he saw his shadow this morning! haha

most Global Warming models polarize the seasons to extremes...so actually this would be considered to support most arguments for Global Warming...but, you get a lot of people who say stupid stuff like that, so you are not alone.

Also...the only person to blame here is clearly Gman and his crazy ankle...he said last summer that this winter was going to suck...lol.

Tough to say anything really at this point with this next storm, and no one is giving much details on it, due to so much uncertainty. May end up a heavy rain threat with little snow, but the GFS isn't the only model out there, haha, and certainly not the most accurate. It could end up like that, maybe a little more like the GFS ensembles, maybe the Canadian model. If this turns out to be one in which there are two low pressure systems tracking across the south and the coastal low takes over and quicker (like the CMC and Euro have shown at times), then its a different game and could become very interesting...but only if it were to happen and the colder air were to be drawn in quicker, or the track changes. And of course, we still look to stay in this pattern, so there's more chances and one of those early next week.

Edited by Beamerball

Well, the good news is, my ankle isn't hurting too bad this week. I agree, too much uncertainty with this one at this point. I'll take a look at my stuff this afternoon and give you a guesstimate...

BTW, has anyone else noticed an increased number of deer out feeding in odd places at odd times of day in the last couple of days???? That means one of two things: 1) they are already starving, or 2) the gorging for the big one...

Well, the good news is, my ankle isn't hurting too bad this week. I agree, too much uncertainty with this one at this point. I'll take a look at my stuff this afternoon and give you a guesstimate...

BTW, has anyone else noticed an increased number of deer out feeding in odd places at odd times of day in the last couple of days???? That means one of two things: 1) they are already starving, or 2) the gorging for the big one...

We have 4-6 deer coming right next to our house and feeding off our shrubs. Strangely enough they just don't get spooked when we come and go. They just look at you.

What's good for SWVA is bad for me in this case.

If the snow's looking to take a more northern track, that puts ME right in the heart of the bullseye now. Now Carlisle's looking for 20+ inches out of this. Eh...

i am coming there than i love snow!!!

huge miss...lots of moisture....and a lot of rain/some ice for bluefield area...north of roanoake heavy snow...totally bumed we are missing another chance for a big one.

Too early to tell yet, don't get discouraged yet...accuweather predicting up to 12" for this area...just a couple of degrees could make the difference between 3 or 4 inches or a foot...

Too early to tell yet, don't get discouraged yet...accuweather predicting up to 12" for this area...just a couple of degrees could make the difference between 3 or 4 inches or a foot...

Yeah, this storm's going to be fickle, both with temperature and track.

It'll definitely be cold enough here in PA, but maybe not down in SWVA.

It will probably be cold enough, but the track may be just a bit to the east for you guys. :)

The amount of snow that the Bluefield area will get will depend greatly on the amount of warm air that gets into the lower levels of the atmosphere. According to the NWS and their latest model runs they are suggesting a little colder solution with a more prolonged period of snow and sleet before the changeover to freezing rain tomorrow followed by more snow Friday night and Saturday and are expecting anywhere from 6 to 10 inches throughout the duration of this storm.

Edited by blufan04

Light icing event possible over here tonight into tomorrow, then expected to go to rain before back to snow showers late Friday night into Saturday, assuming it all goes as they're saying and I'm not so sure it will. As blufan pointed out, the 18z runs have come in colder already (although the GFS and NAM still don't put down very much snowfall in extreme SWVA but the NAM is for Tazewell and point east). They had intially been making the TN Valley stronger but are backing off a bit more, and with that would mean less warm air advection when it pushes northward.