2009-2010: The Winter It Never Stopped Snowing

Deleted Account

8" reported in Bluefield area as of 7:00 AM this morning according to the NWS website.

Hardly a trace over here, just flurries earlier today. The colder air just didn't wrap in well and WAA was strong up the valley on the east side of the low yesterday/overnight.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some ice here in Abingdon now...enough to make it slick out there.

Are we ready to start talking about the next one that's due for Tuesday???

LOL...this is getting so old.

The snow was a total miss in Grundy this weekend...they called for 1 to 3 inches Thursday night, didnt see none of it...they called for 1 to 3 inches Friday night, didnt see none of it.

Went across Shorts Gap tonight to go the Grundy/Richlands game tonight and the road was fine.

1-3 Thursday night? Now I could have seen where that might have been for the highest terrain up that way though. At the most it should have been one for a mix of snow/sleet/freezing rain/rain then rain to snow, haha. Not much of a miss when you don't see a little inch though, haha. But on this note, Buchanan and Dickenson County should be taken over by one of the other three surrounding NWS offices (either Blacksburg, Morristown, or Jackson) anyway. Charleston seems to be one of the worst around.

Edited by Beamerball

Well, I got about 6" or 8" here in Bluefield added to what was still on the ground and it's a mess...Darn Tractor plowed the street here and piled up big chunks of ice about 3 feet high behind my driveway...took me half the day to shovel it out...City plow lost it's tire trying to get out of a snow drift on street below me...been watching people slide up and down the hill for 3 days now...

some ice here in Abingdon now...enough to make it slick out there.

Are we ready to start talking about the next one that's due for Tuesday???

LOL...this is getting so old.

http://wxcaster4.com/gfs/CONUS2_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_72HR.gif

14-16 more inches for my neck of the woods. This is unbelievable.

PennDOT did phenomenal work after the last 23'' snow. This one might just cripple us for good.

If we actually get this snow, we'll be able to measure it in feet in PA. Bizarre...

Only one good thing can come from this: I have most of my classes on Wednesday.

The first snow we got 19 inches.

Then we got a second small snow about 2 inches

Then we got about 8 or 9 inches

Then we got about 10 inches

This time we were spared, only about 2 3 or 4 inches

My guess we have about 43 or 44 inches for the year,a lot of it frozen solid.If you read Kevin Myatts blog in the Roanoke times.you can learn a lot about storm tracks, jet stream, warm air aloft and such. This could rival some of the biggest winters. I believe the snowiest wintesrs in Roanoke area have been in the upper sixties as far as snow depth.

got another 3 or 4 inches in Abingdon...at least where i live...wind seems to be blowing a lot so not sure exactly how much we have over the entire area....looked out at one point last night and the car was covered, looked again a while later and it had all blown off lol.

This snow is horrible. I can't remember it snowing this much in a LONG time. Any of you older guys remember any winters like this in the past?

Yep, winter was like this every year from about '74-'90, at least from what I can remember. When I was in fourth grade, we went to school the first day after Christmas break and didn't go back until late February (the 22nd, if I remember correctly). We ended up going to school an extra hour every day plus every Saturday from March until we got out of school in June.

From '90-'08, the winters have been nothing compared to the years I've mentioned. Sure, we had some big snows during those years...'93, '97, and '98 stick out in my mind...but not the persistent snow like we've had this year (and during the '74-'90 time period I mentioned).

This winter is how winter is supposed to be here in the mountains of SWVA and SoWV. Everyone has gotten spoiled by the mild winters of the last several years. I'm glad to see the snow make a return...

Yep, winter was like this every year from about '74-'90, at least from what I can remember. When I was in fourth grade, we went to school the first day after Christmas break and didn't go back until late February (the 22nd, if I remember correctly). We ended up going to school an extra hour every day plus every Saturday from March until we got out of school in June.

From '90-'08, the winters have been nothing compared to the years I've mentioned. Sure, we had some big snows during those years...'93, '97, and '98 stick out in my mind...but not the persistent snow like we've had this year (and during the '74-'90 time period I mentioned).

This winter is how winter is supposed to be here in the mountains of SWVA and SoWV. Everyone has gotten spoiled by the mild winters of the last several years. I'm glad to see the snow make a return...

me too, if they would plow the dang roads!!!!

This snow is horrible. I can't remember it snowing this much in a LONG time. Any of you older guys remember any winters like this in the past?

1985 was about like this...then we got 3 feet of snow again in like April and it all melted off the next day and flooded out Grundy lol...as far as I know that was the last "big" flood Grundy had...not as big as the 1977 or 1957 but it was a good one...there were several smaller ones in the 90's...but as far as I know that was the last of the big floods.

This is for tomorrow...lol...and they are saying another "big" one may be on the way for this weekend...snow the next 3 days then Sunday we could see another "Snow Event"...lol.

Winter Storm Warning for Washington, VA

until 4 am EST, Thu., Feb. 11, 2010

Issued by The National Weather Service

Knoxville/Tri-Cities, TN

10:59 am EST, Wed., Feb. 10, 2010

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST THURSDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST THURSDAY.

* TIMING: SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE THIS AFTERNOON AND INTO TONIGHT... BEFORE GRADUALLY DIMINISHING AFTER MIDNIGHT.

* ACCUMULATIONS: TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE LOWER ELEVATIONS BELOW 2500 FEET... WITH 6 TO 10 INCHES POSSIBLE ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS ABOVE 2500 FEET. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS WILL BE POSSIBLE ON THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN PEAKS.

* IMPACTS: SNOW SHOWERS MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES... AND COMBINED WITH STRONG GUSTY WINDS... MAY PRODUCE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. VISIBILITIES WILL BE REDUCED TO A QUARTER MILE OR LESS WITH THE HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW CAN ALSO BE EXPECTED. TRAVEL WILL BECOME VERY HAZARDOUS... AND ANY UNNECESSARY TRAVEL SHOULD BE AVOIDED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IN ADDITION... SNOWFALL INTENSITIES WILL BE HEAVY ENOUGH TO SUBSTANTIALLY REDUCE VISIBILITIES AT TIMES. TRAVEL IS DISCOURAGED. IF TRAVEL IS UNAVOIDABLE... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

&&

More Information

... ACCUMULATING SNOW SHOWERS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE...

.COLDER AIR WILL CONTINUE TO FLOW INTO THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN REGION THIS AFTERNOON... WITH NORTHWEST WINDS AND AN UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE GENERATING SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. THIS UPSLOPE FLOW WILL ENHANCE THE SNOWFALL ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS... WHERE SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE.

great....glad to hear the good news..

UPS truck just slid sideways down my hill.....then about 10 minutes later...a tractor (with a plow blade) comes down the street...and had his blade up?????...what the crap...I'm buried in snow at my house....