News Flash: Falcon Football Hits the Road

Falconman

There has been a lot of talk on here about this coming season, but let me tell you what is in store for years to come. Most programs feed their school football programs through midget leagues etc. Lets be honest most midget league teams are coached by guys who only know football through madden. But you heard it here first, we do it the Falcon Way! Started last year and is catching on. Abingdon is the only VA school that has not one but 2 travel football teams for 11-12 year olds. Kids from Bristol, Tazewell, and Wytheville have been traveling with them. One kid from lebanon (great young athlete) has already said when he is a freshmen he will be a Falcon. I think this is the way of the future, travel football. Enjoy your jabs at us now, the future is bright for the falcons . . . trust me.

We play Tenn Schools from Kingsport to Knoxville. We've been winning too.

see...here is what Falcon Folks don't get....the problem in Abingdon is not the kids...it's the program...from the front office to the coaches. Abingdon has the numbers and a great bunch of kids to work with...but, when you put the band first then what do you expect? Abingdon needs a coach and for the front office and the community to stay out of everything...as it is now you have the worst bunch of complaining and cry baby parents that throw a fit when they can over anything...and front office that is more worried about the halftime show than the game.

fix that, bring in a good coach that wont put up with that crap and will get the kids excited about playing football again...and you guys might do something.

There has been a lot of talk on here about this coming season, but let me tell you what is in store for years to come. Most programs feed their school football programs through midget leagues etc. Lets be honest most midget league teams are coached by guys who only know football through madden. But you heard it here first, we do it the Falcon Way! Started last year and is catching on. Abingdon is the only VA school that has not one but 2 travel football teams for 11-12 year olds. Kids from Bristol, Tazewell, and Wytheville have been traveling with them. One kid from lebanon (great young athlete) has already said when he is a freshmen he will be a Falcon. I think this is the way of the future, travel football. Enjoy your jabs at us now, the future is bright for the falcons . . . trust me.

I wish your school nothing but the best. Most people on this board don't have a problem with the Abingdon football team, it's their delusional posters and fans that cause the problem. Good luck to the school and the players in the future. The fans and posters need to come down to earth.

I grew up in a town in Maryland ( Aberdeen ) and played football there from midget league to the 10th grade and moved to Richlands for my last 2 years. ( 76 & 77 )

We had travel midget league teams back in the 60's & 70's up there so I hardly think it's the wave of the future.

And as was stated on another post, it's what happens once it get's to the high school level, and Abingdon has not figured that out yet. Maybe one day they will. They do have a lot of good kids there so there's always a chance that they could turn things around. The people just have to get behind the program and let the coaches coach.

By the way, very well stated Lance !

There has to be balance between parents and coaches. I agree coaches need to be able to coach; but, you need parental and community support. Great Example was when we had that hateful coach (Coach Gregory) a couple years ago, that was a good example of kids standing up for themselves and not let a coach bash them. He cussed em and mentally abused em to the point our school board wouldn't take it. I commend our current coaches who are positive role models and not some ego maniac who doesn't believe in us. We don't tolerate that kind of behavior in this county . . . win or lose!

There has to be balance between parents and coaches. I agree coaches need to be able to coach; but, you need parental and community support. Great Example was when we had that hateful coach (Coach Gregory) a couple years ago, that was a good example of kids standing up for themselves and not let a coach bash them. He cussed em and mentally abused em to the point our school board wouldn't take it. I commend our current coaches who are positive role models and not some ego maniac who doesn't believe in us. We don't tolerate that kind of behavior in this county . . . win or lose!

thats not what i'm talking about at all...see, you don't seem to get it either lol.

see...here is what Falcon Folks don't get....the problem in Abingdon is not the kids...it's the program...from the front office to the coaches. Abingdon has the numbers and a great bunch of kids to work with...but, when you put the band first then what do you expect? Abingdon needs a coach and for the front office and the community to stay out of everything...as it is now you have the worst bunch of complaining and cry baby parents that throw a fit when they can over anything...and front office that is more worried about the halftime show than the game.

fix that, bring in a good coach that wont put up with that crap and will get the kids excited about playing football again...and you guys might do something.

AMEN Lance you are so correct on this. Every since the front office has stepped in and forced the coaches to be gentle on the kids the program has went down hill so quickly!!!!!!!

You do realize though, that by the time those kids are old enough to make a difference at the varsity level in high school, Abingdon will be the only AA school west of Wytheville and will probably be playing the likes of Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Pulaski County, etc....

The future is "bright red" from all the butt kickings the crows will be taking...same ol', same ol'...trust me...

AMEN Lance you are so correct on this. Every since the front office has stepped in and forced the coaches to be gentle on the kids the program has went down hill so quickly!!!!!!!

you can not, under any circumstances, endanger or abuse a kid as a coach...but, you have to be able to push kids a little and pull the effort out of them that they don't know they are capable of doing. Football should teach you a few things about yourself by the time you are done with it.

you can not, under any circumstances, endanger or abuse a kid as a coach...but, you have to be able to push kids a little and pull the effort out of them that they don't know they are capable of doing. Football should teach you a few things about yourself by the time you are done with it.

Very amen.

My little league coach was one of the most hardcore coaches I ever had. He yelled and pushed us as 10 and 11 year olds to the point I thought it would make the news. But it wasn't abuse. We won every game, learned a lot about the game, and had plenty of confidence to last us through high school. Not the false confidence you see in kids these days where they all get a trophy even if they lose, I'm talking that realistic attitude that comes with earning your confidence. He would push you and push you and push you and when he finally said "Good Job", you grinned ear to ear for a week.

One thing he did abuse was his hat. He threw and stomped that thing so many times it's a wonder it was still in one piece. It was a Miami Dolphins hat and from the way he treated it you would think maybe he just wore it because he hated the Dolphins so much.

Very amen.

My little league coach was one of the most hardcore coaches I ever had. He yelled and pushed us as 10 and 11 year olds to the point I thought it would make the news. But it wasn't abuse. We won every game, learned a lot about the game, and had plenty of confidence to last us through high school. Not the false confidence you see in kids these days where they all get a trophy even if they lose, I'm talking that realistic attitude that comes with earning your confidence. He would push you and push you and push you and when he finally said "Good Job", you grinned ear to ear for a week.

One thing he did abuse was his hat. He threw and stomped that thing so many times it's a wonder it was still in one piece. It was a Miami Dolphins hat and from the way he treated it you would think maybe he just wore it because he hated the Dolphins so much.

The hat story is pretty funny. If I had a Miami hat I would stomp it too.

Likewise, I played for a hardcore little league coach too and a ex-marine high school coach and he was also very intense. But that was many years ago. I played little league in the mid-70's and high school in the 80's.

The hat story is pretty funny. If I had a Miami hat I would stomp it too.

Likewise, I played for a hardcore little league coach too and a ex-marine high school coach and he was also very intense. But that was many years ago. I played little league in the mid-70's and high school in the 80's.

I know a couple of Midget League coaches that are hat throwers. Or at least laminated play sheets.

i agree with that. i think that gregory's actions a few years back warranted his dismissal--it wasn't discipline, and he lacked some serious integrity as a man. however, now the few overbearing parents feel that they can step in whenever they want if they don't like the coach. that's dangerous, stupid, and makes it really hard to win games when you have to keep that in the back of your mind.

You do realize though, that by the time those kids are old enough to make a difference at the varsity level in high school, Abingdon will be the only AA school west of Wytheville and will probably be playing the likes of Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Pulaski County, etc....

The future is "bright red" from all the butt kickings the crows will be taking...same ol', same ol'...trust me...

Are you serious? I think the kids coming will be able to compete against those teams. You guys have no idea of the talent coming through the little league programs right now. I feel like we would dominate the swd and compete really well against Salem, Blacksburg, & Pulaski. I might be wrong just what I see. Football would be the hardest to compete in-trust me basketball and baseball we would compete. Do I need to mention soccer or tennis? We would be fine in most sports. ;)

Are you serious? I think the kids coming will be able to compete against those teams. You guys have no idea of the talent coming through the little league programs right now. I feel like we would dominate the swd and compete really well against Salem, Blacksburg, & Pulaski. I might be wrong just what I see. Football would be the hardest to compete in-trust me basketball and baseball we would compete. Do I need to mention soccer or tennis? We would be fine in most sports. ;)

Talent isn't the problem at Abingdon. They're loaded with talent. They are at or near the top of the SWD in every sport except football. Heck, they are usually even pretty good at 7 on 7. It's tackle football they have trouble with...

Talent isn't the problem at Abingdon. They're loaded with talent. They are at or near the top of the SWD in every sport except football. Heck, they are usually even pretty good at 7 on 7. It's tackle football they have trouble with...

Maybe in a few years we can go to just touch football, then they may compete.

Maybe in a few years we can go to just touch football, then they may compete.

I like flag better than touch! What are you talking about? This stuff makes me sick-how we are not physical enough. We have beat every team in the swd over the last 3-4 years except Richlands and we gave them 1 game. I guess the whole district is not physical enough. Trust me when I say this: the Falcons are as physical as anyone else in the district. :mad:

thats what i'm saying...it's the program, not the kids...they have plenty of great kids at Abingdon...someone just needs to fix the system.

I like flag better than touch! What are you talking about? This stuff makes me sick-how we are not physical enough. We have beat every team in the swd over the last 3-4 years except Richlands and we gave them 1 game. I guess the whole district is not physical enough. Trust me when I say this: the Falcons are as physical as anyone else in the district. :mad:

Like the old saying goes.............even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.......

Come back and tell us how good Abingdon is when you win consistently.

I have nothing at all against Abingdon, I think it's a great town, but we always hear about how good they are going to be " next year " but next year never comes. I really hope it does sometime. The kids deserve it, and it would make a stronger SWD.

Football would be the hardest to compete in-trust me basketball and baseball we would compete. Do I need to mention soccer or tennis? We would be fine in most sports. ;)

Abingdon would not be competitive in basketball in the River Ridge District. It's one thing to water down your schedule and beat up on schools in SWVA with half your population and think you're good. Schools around the Roanoke/Christiansburg area would dominate Atown.

Southbound, do they still play flag football in the rec league at Abingdon? I know I heard someone say a few years back that they did.