tailgating beaver/graham game?

beaverbaseball

I know it was mentioned a little in a previous thread but just wanted to know if anyone knows anything more....Heard that tailgating was going to be regulated by the city this year....Rumor is if you want to tailgate you have to rent a tent and it's a maximum of 6 people per tent......I didn't believe this at first but recently they put up signs saying no public display of alcoholic beverages or public drinking......I know if true this will affect many fans who show up early friday morning around 8am to tailgate....Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? I figure with ESPN coming they would want to see alot of people tailgating......The only thing I can think is trying to prevent the high schoolers from drinking....which previously has never been stopped...

Must be another one of Merriman's brilliant ideas...either that or the Mayor is pissed about not getting the Gainer thing approved by the BoD...I think she promised more than she could deliver and is now going to ruin everyone's fun as a result, or lack there of...LOL...

Guest StoneyCalhoun

I dont see it happening, there are too many reunions and such for it to be regulated.

The second question, if you are not a public entity such as WVSSAC or the high schools, or boosters, can you make money off of a high school game???

I dont see it happening, there are too many reunions and such for it to be regulated.

The second question, if you are not a public entity such as WVSSAC or the high schools, or boosters, can you make money off of a high school game???

You bring up an interesting question. Which also makes me wonder if Merriman's idea of charging for parking over there was legitimate for a high school game?

I think he wants to install pay toilets in the stadium.....and have bathroom attendents who get half of the tips, other half to city of bluefield...

You can tell he's an outsider and he will surely get a lot of people upset if this happens.

We all post stupid once in a while.

But some of us do it intentionally...he can't help it...:D

I haven't seen him on here lately...he must be on vacation. Either that or they've put him back in the institution...

I haven't seen him on here lately...he must be on vacation. Either that or they've put him back in the institution...

thank goodness he isnt here at western state hospital in staunton dont think i could take much of it lol.

If he is back in the institution, wouldn't he be a Marion fan because of the new address?

Back to the original post...I could see the tents be given a certain section, like maybe the Bowen Field parking lot.....and the area along the tennis courts (where nobody parks anyway)...if Merriman wants to make it more orderly, and putting up signs prohibiting alcohol, if that's what he's trying to curb, and maybe having police patrol on foot to make sure everybody is adhering...but to charge for a tent and limit people in each tent, seems pretty dumb to me....What is he going to do if 7 people are in a tent instead of 6...have them arrested or something?

If this is true, we should all make our complaints public and let the media outlets know how we feel about it....

Some questions that come to mind:

Where did this guy come from??

Is he trying to piss everybody in Bluefield off?

Is he on some kind of power trip?

Edited by futbolking

A lot of this stems from the many issues the Bluefield P.D. had to deal with in the parking lot last year related to drinking. It only takes a few idiots to ruin it for everyone else. With that said, I do not agree with having to rent a tent from the city. I don't see that solving the alcohol issue like the city believes it will. What it could do is result in many more people drinking at home and then driving to the game under the influence, creating another big problem. I hate society's warped view that you must be drunk to have a good time...

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

if you are not a public entity such as WVSSAC or the high schools, or boosters, can you make money off of a high school game???

Sure.

Who sells the programs? Our Lions Club does.

As long as arrangements are made and approved in advance, I don't know of anything that prohibits it.

Some pizza places make $$$ by selling their pies to the concession stand ppl.

I know it was mentioned a little in a previous thread but just wanted to know if anyone knows anything more....Heard that tailgating was going to be regulated by the city this year....Rumor is if you want to tailgate you have to rent a tent and it's a maximum of 6 people per tent......I didn't believe this at first but recently they put up signs saying no public display of alcoholic beverages or public drinking......I know if true this will affect many fans who show up early friday morning around 8am to tailgate....Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? I figure with ESPN coming they would want to see alot of people tailgating......The only thing I can think is trying to prevent the high schoolers from drinking....which previously has never been stopped...

I wonder if the City has the ability to do this. That sounds like a huge undertaking.

How much of the parking lot resides in VA? Since this is reportedly Bluefield, WV's undertaking, I wonder if you could just cross the state line into VA and proceed with the pre-game festivities?

How much of the parking lot resides in VA? Since this is reportedly Bluefield, WV's undertaking, I wonder if you could just cross the state line into VA and proceed with the pre-game festivities?

if i am not mistaken the state line runs thru the upper end of the tennis courts closer to the one next to the old train. i know bowen field and the city park is within the state of virginia. though the city of bluefield wv runs it. but i would say for legal issues if someone were to push it they would have to have any charges pressed on the va side if push came to shove with the city police of bluefield wva. just my opinion so if someone wanted to tailgait would be on the lower end of the parking lot on the va side of the state line.

I have heard several different stories from city/town officials and police from both the city and the town for years. They all have different versions to the jurisdiction over where and they all have their own version of how the state line runs through the park. Out of all those claims I have heard, there never has been two claims alike.

I don't know if anyone knows for sure.

I have heard several different stories from city/town officials and police from both the city and the town for years. They all have different versions to the jurisdiction over where and they all have their own version of how the state line runs through the park. Out of all those claims I have heard, there never has been two claims alike.

I don't know if anyone knows for sure.

This is about as accurate as you are going to get...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Scroll in to see where the line runs on this map. This is what I've always known it to be and was enforced as "back in the day" when hanging out at the park was the cool thing to do.