Scrimmages at Mitchell Stadium...

GMan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, but I have never understood how anyone can make an "observation" without actually observing...

Thanks for letting us all know that it was only a scrimmage. I mean GMan and others thought they were observing size, speed, and physical ability, but being from SW Virginia and all, I'm sure they didn't realize the players will be smaller, slower, and less physical in a real game against real competition...

I did not have to be there they did not play anybody . Graham has not been good since Carter was president and George Wythe is single a . Grow up kids - ok Richlands could beat Oscar Smith!

Does anyone think that Falconman, Southbound and the Watcher might all be the same person.

....LOL ! I think he's just another one of those that live up there that thinks Virginia stops at Roanoke.

GW's 1st teamers went up against Richlands and HV subs, tying with Richlands and beating HV. Their 2nd teamers also got some action vs. HV and PC subs and did pretty well. First teamers did pretty good vs. PC too. I missed the first go-round between GW-Graham but the second go-round, both teams played 1st teamers in their 1st 10-play set with each scoring once on long pass plays. I didn't stick around for the second set of plays.

GW is a scrappy bunch. They really get after the ball on D but they aren't too flashy on O. It did look like they've got some young kids with speed and talent on the 2nd team that will really make some noise in the next couple of years. I don't understand why a couple of them are not starters on offense as the 1st team looks like it could use a bit of speed on the corners.

GW will be fine this year. Not sure what Chilhowie has this season but GW should roll through the Hogo...sorry, Holston fans, you had your 15-minutes last year...

Of the five teams at the scrimmage, I would rank GW as the 2nd best team there.

I know one thing that Chilhowie has this year....and that is the Johnson kid from Marion, that was so good last year...and ran for nearly 250 yards on 10 carries against the G-Men...that kid can flat out fly....

Watcher seems to be one of those who believes that Salem is the center of the universe. I believe that I have written before about hometown jingoism.

Falconman and Southbound are comic relief.

First of all , based upon what you said , Richlands got a little practice but really did not show anything because they were not challenged . They played a small aa team soon to go to single a graham . a single a team George Wythe , and a Hidden Valley team that has to replace most of their offense . Also, it was a early season scrimmage . Those teams with most question marks will try more things . Richlands was supposed to look more impressive than these teams and they did . This is not an indictment against Richlands but , in fact , a reality that under Greg Mance Richlands down years other teams would be proud of . Let them look this impressive against Christiansburg in a scrimmage and maybe I would get excited . My earlier observations of Richlands 2010 version were to say the Blue Tornadoes will be among top two in region 4 among division 3 , with Cave Spring the only team that May have a chance . Their competition will not come until Cave Spring and then possibly after that in region 3 . that is not to say they will not have challenges during the season with a very good single a team a la Gate City or a Powell Valley and not an indictment against this scrimmage because you still have to line up and practice . A lot of times in scrimmages you do not know how good your competition will be or how much you will improve .

Well, I was actually at the scrimmages...which I don't think you were....I saw for myself, I'm the biggest Richlands critic there is in the recent past, ask anybody on here, I've warned them of playing "real" competition when it comes playoff time...but trust me on this...Richlands IS the real deal this year....This team has the potential to be the best team I've seen in this area in a long time.....They are big, physical and athletic....I would love to see this team play anybody from the River ridge this year...I think Richlands would win the River ridge outright, if they were in that district this year...

In fact, I think I'm going to make it a point to go watch them in the playoffs and support our SouthWest District representative....because they will be there...and they will be a teaqm to be reckoned with.

I did not have to be there they did not play anybody . Graham has not been good since Carter was president and George Wythe is single a . Grow up kids - ok Richlands could beat Oscar Smith!

Go post on Virginia Preps, where somebody may actually want to read your garbage...

Salem high school has been recruiting kids from Roanoke Co. for years.

And Roanoke city...back when Roanoke was "the" railroad hub of southwest VA, if your kid could play ball, they found you a job and a home in Salem...

And Roanoke city...back when Roanoke was "the" railroad hub of southwest VA, if your kid could play ball, they found you a job and a home in Salem...

Sounds like Bell County High School in KY.

Sounds like Bell County High School in KY.

I personally know one that it happened to back in the late 80s...father worked for the railroad and had worked in Roanoke for several years, living in Botetourt Co. He got transferred to Bluefield and lived in Bluefield, VA...two sons, the oldest was a friend of mine (a year younger) and the younger one was a few years young and was developing into a pretty good football player (played his FR/SO years at Graham and started both seasons FB/LB). Father got transferred back to Roanoke...they planned on moving back to Botetourt Co. because they had friends there but the railroad "suggested" and "found" them a home in Salem so the youngest could play football for the Spartans. He ended up at UVA on scholarship, starting at FB his last two years there.

Graham has not been good since Carter was president

Anyone know who the President was in 1990??? I know it wasn't Carter and Graham DID beat Salem that year...

Anyone know who the President was in 1990??? I know it wasn't Carter and Graham DID beat Salem that year...

Salem has been a great program for many years, but they just don't like to give our area any respect, and we have had several state champions from here. Single A & AA !

Graham use to be dominate when Carlock was there. That's not that many years ago.

He always throws little remarks about the single A teams around here, but some of these A teams could compete and beat a lot of those AA teams.

I know that Richlands has tried to get some of the AA teams from Blacksburg on up to play in a home & home deal and they don't want to, and further more they don't have to travel to this area to play. Most do not want to play the Blues at Ernie.

I love Richlands, but I have always pulled for any of the teams from SWVA that make it to the playoffs. I love to see our SWVA brothers do well in the playoffs ! It shows just how good football from our area really is.

Edited by Bigrhsfan

I personally know one that it happened to back in the late 80s...father worked for the railroad and had worked in Roanoke for several years, living in Botetourt Co. He got transferred to Bluefield and lived in Bluefield, VA...two sons, the oldest was a friend of mine (a year younger) and the younger one was a few years young and was developing into a pretty good football player (played his FR/SO years at Graham and started both seasons FB/LB). Father got transferred back to Roanoke...they planned on moving back to Botetourt Co. because they had friends there but the railroad "suggested" and "found" them a home in Salem so the youngest could play football for the Spartans. He ended up at UVA on scholarship, starting at FB his last two years there.

Sweaney. Was a heck of a loss for the G-men. You can not let good kids go like that. But it turned out well for him.

Whats Single A have to do with it? GW has been one of the best programs in the area the past decade. Look at Giles, Radford, Gretna, Gate City, William Campbell...all those have had teams that would lay a killing on most AA teams around.

Whats Single A have to do with it? GW has been one of the best programs in the area the past decade. Look at Giles, Radford, Gretna, Gate City, William Campbell...all those have had teams that would lay a killing on most AA teams around.

The Watcher thinks Single A teams are inferior to AA teams.

a big D4 vs a small D1 he may have an arguement but D3 vs D1/D2 not so much, those teams viva mentioned can run with most AA teams in most years. They would prob lose more than win but it would be competitive. Didnt Gretna hold their own in AA?

a big D4 vs a small D1 he may have an arguement but D3 vs D1/D2 not so much, those teams viva mentioned can run with most AA teams in most years. They would prob lose more than win but it would be competitive. Didnt Gretna hold their own in AA?

All the teams mentioned by Viva held their own in AA. Gate City had played William Campbell in 94 for the D3 State Semi Final game.

We don't have many AA schools in our part of the state any more. What, maybe 3 or 4 and we loose another one next year when Graham goes to A. Richlands & Tazewell are not that much bigger either. Richlands use to be one of the bigger schools in our area if not the biggest, but we have lost a lot of people over the last several years and enrollment is down.

My wife is a teacher and her class went from 29 last year to 19 this year. That's in the Richlands & Honaker area, I'm not sure about Tazewell.

I would bet on some of the A teams that we have around here against any D3 AA teams most years.

Teams like Gate City, Powell Valley, JI burton, Clintwood, Lebanon, Goeoge Wythe,Appalachia, and sometimes Honaker and Haysi,and forgive me I know I left some out but you get the idea.

I would like to see Richlands & Bluefield play every year. They are probably the best 2 programs ( along with Gate City ) in the area right now and should play. I have a lot of respect for what Bluefield has done.

there are some very good A teams around here, most of those you mentioned could hold their own in most years. Maybe not win but they would at least be competitive

In their up years clintwood, honaker, haysi and appalachia could run with most D3 teams