Shooting at the mercer county mall

that's the kind of attitude that makes IDIOTS think it's ok to carry a gun and ACT like they are so bad. like "hey, if he wouldn't have had that gun, then he woulda took a beatin". he wasn't carrying that gun for the right reasons. these kids think they get respect for flashing a gun - COWARD!!! no, you get respect by being a man, and handling your life in a certain manner, and taking responsibility for your life and your actions. you reap what you sew!

if people kept their life in order and didn't associate with low lifes, then this would not be a problem. handle yourself like a man, and nobody will want to jump you or kill you. the same goes for whoever "T.I" is... doesn't sound like much of a role model to me, or anybody I'd want to be like. I can't say I ever have to worry about someone jumping me or shooting at me... "die or go to prison" isn't my situation. that's because I don't act like some PUNK!!! I don't go around talking about girls, gangs, guns, or money... like any of those make me who I am. I handle my responsibilities like a man instead of a COWARD.

I'm sure he wasn't getting jumped for no reason. he knew who they were, and he was probably well aware of what was about to happen. I don't know the people involved, and I don't know the situation... but 99 out of 100 times, this thing happens over something stupid, and some PUNK KID running his mouth, or messing around with someones girl. but still, neither of which is grounds for pulling a gun... much less firing it AT THE MALL!!!

and don't say he has a right to carry a gun or that he had a permit... 99 out of 100 times, the ones that are doing it the right way, are not the people that are in trouble and shooting up malls.

COWARDS!!! all of them -- COWARDS!!!!!

be a man, and handle your life the right way, and you won't have ANY of these problems

are you kidding me????? how about your kid be standing at that counter and take a bullet in the head... then come tell me it was alright. don't tell me "well you don't know the situation"...... no I don't, but NO SITUATION is worth my kid, or your kid, or anyone elses kid, or anyone else for that matter - getting shot. I'd rather you take your ass whippin for whatever reason it was, and leave me out of it!

Edited by total

Is anyone stopping to think that perhaps without the gun, this guy could have been beaten to death, seeing as how he was being jumped?

Both were wrong. The three guys for jumping the one, and the one for using deadly force against the three. It's a complete no-win situation: end up in the ICU, or end up in jail (and I think you even said this above). Because when mall cops are as useless as hind teats on a bull (and we all know at Mercer Mall, they are), that's the situation you're left in.

The best strategy is just to live like you have a shred of morality and/or common sense.

Edited by UVAObserver

The best strategy is just to live like you have a shred of morality and/or common sense.

AMEN!!! that's what I was trying to say... but I just like the way you said it

I have lived a long time, and have had no reason other to carry a gun, other than for target practice. That being said, I have been many places where carrying a gun would have just made the situation worse. (Those who choose to carry with a permit are exercising their right, which I support.)

The problem is a responsible adult, with proper training, will be better equipped to decide if its use is appropriate than someone who is carrying to be bad or tough.

...but still, poor judgment to fire a gun in a "crowded" mall whether it was to save your life or not...those who have taken gun/concealed carry classes would have known better...

GMan is right on target with his comment--

Life has many choices---eternity two

I don't think the guy had any business shooting the gun in a crowded mall...my son (4 years old) and I were on our way to Sunny Days to get him a chocolate covered strawberry)....when I heard of somebody having a gun and a shot or shots being fired, my first reaction was to grab my child and go the opposite way...

I did overhear one man say he was "pulling them apart" when one of the guys got his gun out and shot....(can't verify this obviously, because I didn't see it happen.)..So I don't think it was a case of the guy fearing for his life...In fact, if you read the article, the dude said "Do you think this is a game?" before pulling the gun...doesn't sound like a guy fearing for his life to me....He's facing up to 25 felony counts....again, doesn't sound like a guy using it for self defense....I'll just leave it at that...

http://bdtonline.com/local/x369042399/Suspect-in-Mercer-Mall-shooting-incident-arrested

August 18, 2010

Suspect in Mercer Mall shooting incident arrested

By GREG JORDAN Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PRINCETON – A Bluefield resident was awaiting arraignment on multiple charges Tuesday evening in connection with a gunshot fired in the Mercer Mall.

Dante Baker, 18, was arrested at 2:30 p.m. by officers with the Bluefield Police Department, said Cpl. A.P. Christian of the West Virginia State Police detachment in Princeton.

“I had contacted them and asked them to be on the lookout for him, and advised them of a pending warrant,†Christian said.

Baker has been charged with 15 counts of wanton endangerment and one count of carrying a concealed weapon, Christian said. The charges were based on the fact that 15 people were in the vicinity when the shot was allegedly fired.

Christian said that Baker was being held in the Bluefield City Jail pending arraignment in Princeton before Magistrate James Dent.

The investigation started the morning of Aug. 14 after an apparent physical altercation escalated to the point where one man produced a firearm. The shot was fired in a hall area near the Macado’s mall entrance. Nobody was hit by the bullet, which was found in a wooden counter at a nearby store.

“From my understanding, it was an ongoing argument — about a year old — that just spilled over on that day,†Christian said. “One shot was fired as far as we can tell.â€

WVVA website said the guy arrested is 28 years old.

http://www.wvva.com/global/story.asp?s=13001794

Bluefield, W.Va. (WVVA) – Police in Bluefield, West Virginia have made an arrest in connection to the Mercer Mall shooting that occurred over the weekend.

Authorities arrested 28-year-old Donte Baker around 2 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. Police are not releasing where he was arrested at this time.

Baker allegedly was involved in an argument at the mall with three young men Saturday near Macado's restaurant. After the argument, Baker allegedly shot at one of the three men.

According to the Southern Regional Jail Clerk, Baker faces 15 felony counts of wanton endangerment and one count of concealing a weapon without a license. He was arraigned Tuesday night in front of Magistrate James Dent in Princeton, and is currently being held at the Southern Regional Jail on $50,000 cash bond.

GOOD!!!

18 years old????? yea - I bet he had a permit....

Obviously, he did not since he was charged with "carrying a concealed weapon"...

BTW, that name sounds familiar...didn't he play basketball for Bluefield HS last year???

WVVA website said the guy arrested is 28 years old.

http://www.wvva.com/global/story.asp?s=13001794

Bluefield, W.Va. (WVVA) – Police in Bluefield, West Virginia have made an arrest in connection to the Mercer Mall shooting that occurred over the weekend.

Authorities arrested 28-year-old Donte Baker around 2 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. Police are not releasing where he was arrested at this time.

Baker allegedly was involved in an argument at the mall with three young men Saturday near Macado's restaurant. After the argument, Baker allegedly shot at one of the three men.

According to the Southern Regional Jail Clerk, Baker faces 15 felony counts of wanton endangerment and one count of concealing a weapon without a license. He was arraigned Tuesday night in front of Magistrate James Dent in Princeton, and is currently being held at the Southern Regional Jail on $50,000 cash bond.

Pretty sure WVVA is wrong about the age in that write-up...the girl on the newscast I saw said he was 18, same as the BDT article...

According to the Southern Regional Jail Clerk, Baker faces 15 felony counts of wanton endangerment and one count of concealing a weapon without a license. (From WVVA above.) So there is a concealed weapon charge.

According to the Southern Regional Jail Clerk, Baker faces 15 felony counts of wanton endangerment and one count of concealing a weapon without a license. (From WVVA above.) So there is a concealed weapon charge.

Dare I say...Germans??? See post #35 of this thread...

• 2 weeks later...
Is anyone stopping to think that perhaps without the gun, this guy could have been beaten to death, seeing as how he was being jumped?

I agree. Discharging this gun, while regrettable, might have saved this guy a serious beating or even death.