10 Best Teams in SWVA

deuceswild

We have all pretty much beat the horse dead with another dead horse when it comes to who is best per district. With a week of practice and a scrimmage under our caps, what is everyone's take on the top 10 teams in SWVA??? I don't really know where to draw the line, so I'll just include region C and D and the SWD..Here is my take and I'm sure it's completely wrong, but I'll give it a shot..

1) Richlands. They are the standard.

2) Radford. Should compete for state championship.

3) Clintwood. " " " " "

4) Gate City. Always tough.

5) George Wythe. " "

6) Lebanon. " "

7) Powell Valley. " "

8) Eastern Montgomery. Return a lot of speed and experience.

9) Virginia High. Just a hunch.

10) Honaker. I would put Chilhowie here but Honaker beat them in a scrimmage..

Just missed... JJ Kelly, JI Burton, James River, Chilhowie??...

I don't know a whole lot about several teams, just tossing out some ideas...

We have all pretty much beat the horse dead with another dead horse when it comes to who is best per district. With a week of practice and a scrimmage under our caps, what is everyone's take on the top 10 teams in SWVA??? I don't really know where to draw the line, so I'll just include region C and D and the SWD..Here is my take and I'm sure it's completely wrong, but I'll give it a shot..

3) Clintwood. " " " " "

5) George Wythe. " "

6) Lebanon. " "

7) Powell Valley. " "

1. Richlands

2.GC or Radford

3.GC or Radford

4.Bluefield (I know its WV but didn't want to leave them out)

5. ---------

6.----------

7.---------

8.--------

9.----------

10.---------

my thoughts

-richlands is easily #1

-Clintwood is very good but I would say GC is better, they really have a loaded backfield this year

-GW has talent but may be rebuilding a little this year

-Same story with lebanon

-lots of questions with PV, they werent much last year and will prob be worse this year

-Vhigh could be pretty good

-Honaker was ok last year and may improve this year but top 10 is prob too high, same goes for Haysi

-Grundy could be in the conversation along with JI Butrton and JJ Kelly

-Abingdon? maybe?

1. Salem

2. Richlands and the rest of the rags from that area.:p

i thought the post was top ten teams in swva salem is no where near the swva they are roanoke and new river area so they dont count in this post nor in many others. my thought is salem who people from that area have such big heads they cannot get thru any door at all.

when I think SWVA like duceswild I think the SWD, Reg C and Reg D. I dont even think about the rest of Reg 4

Well I guess technically most region IV schools are closer to here than most of Reg C, but I'm more familiar with Reg C being in it and all... No slight to the rest of Reg IV, they would have had plenty in the top 10.

3) Clintwood. " " " " "

5) George Wythe. " "

6) Lebanon. " "

7) Powell Valley. " "

The thing I would change about this list is I would put GC #3 and maybe #2 with what they have coming back this year.

I know this is about SWVA, but Bluefield is really so close to this region that it is hard to leave them off.

If you do put them in the list then I think you might have to with something like this,

1a- Bluefield - enough said

1b- Richlands - "" ""

2-Gate City - great tradition and very experienced

3-Radford- will be good this year

4-Clintwood - always has a good team

5-Powell Valley - great tradition but may be rebuilding this year.

6-Lebanon - don't know much about them, but are usually tough

7-George Wythe- they are young but have some speed and athletes

8- Virginia High- Good coach !

I think that you could put JI Burton, JJ Kelly, Honaker, Haysi, Chilhowie in any certain order after that. They all have had some very good years, but just not consistent enough to put any higher.

I know some of my Richlands buddies might not like me putting Bluefield at 1a but it's hard to argue with 10 state championships.

3) Clintwood. " " " " "

5) George Wythe. " "

6) Lebanon. " "

7) Powell Valley. " "

I'll take a shot at this too. Won't be much different but here goes. Only including Regions C, D and the SWD.

1) Richlands Hard for anyone to argue this one and be reasonable

2) Radford

3) Gate City Most likely a state semifinal matchup with Radford awaits this season.

4) Clintwood. The class of the LPD this season and i expect them to be in Salem in Dec.

5) Eastern Montgomery Surprised they lost so early in the playoffs last year.

6) Virginia High Could be really wrong on this one but upside possibility is there.

7) George Wythe Good every year

8) JJ Kelly Lots of improvement last couple of seasons

9) Giles Seems wrong to leave them out

10) JI Burton Same as Giles.

3) Clintwood. " " " " "

5) George Wythe. " "

6) Lebanon. " "

7) Powell Valley. " "

What about my Falcons they beat Lebanon in a scrimmage? Show some love for the Falcons. :D

I think the Falcons are in the group with Haysi and Honaker, maybe but they are gonna have to show something. Not enough respect earned last season to warrant a place in SWVAs top 10. Where would you put the falcons?

This is a good chance to be logical and not embarass yourself

I'll take a shot at this too. Won't be much different but here goes. Only including Regions C, D and the SWD.

2) Radford

3) Gate City Most likely a state semifinal matchup with Radford awaits this season.

4) Clintwood. The class of the LPD this season and i expect them to be in Salem in Dec.

5) Eastern Montgomery Surprised they lost so early in the playoffs last year.

6) Virginia High Could be really wrong on this one but upside possibility is there.

7) George Wythe Good every year

8) JJ Kelly Lots of improvement last couple of seasons

9) Giles Seems wrong to leave them out

10) JI Burton Same as Giles.

I forgot about Eastern Montgomery, and Lance your right. I think Grundy should be there somewhere. Maybe around 7 to 10th for right now, just have to see how they come together. Could be higher.

As far as Abingdon goes, I would say around 11th or 12th for now until they show us something consistently.

Edited by Bigrhsfan

It can be argued though. Gate City beat Richlands at Ernie Hicks last year and will play them at Legion this year. Both teams return basicaly the same players from last season and both have made improvements. Richlands has got some good transfers in and GC has some really good young talent coming in to help with depth. I dont know much about the rest of the teams but right now I would have to say GC and RHS are tied at #1 with the August 27 winner keeping that spot. I have seen some GC teams in the past that should go 10-0 blow up and do nothing. I have also seen GC teams like last years that should go 6-4 or 7-3 do well and go 9-1 in regular season play or even 10-0. Three teams that come to mind are 2001, 2007, and 2009. In 2001 GC won the Region Title when most counted them out, In 2007 they played in the State Title game beating two teams in the playoffs that beat them impressively in the regular season, and 2009 winning games the fans never thought possible.

I played against that '01 team and they were young but had an extremely talented soph class. They beat haysi again in '03 as seniors and won state

I think richlands will be too much for GC but never count the blue devils out, should be a great game

It can be argued though. Gate City beat Richlands at Ernie Hicks last year and will play them at Legion this year. Both teams return basicaly the same players from last season and both have made improvements. Richlands has got some good transfers in and GC has some really good young talent coming in to help with depth. I dont know much about the rest of the teams but right now I would have to say GC and RHS are tied at #1 with the August 27 winner keeping that spot. I have seen some GC teams in the past that should go 10-0 blow up and do nothing. I have also seen GC teams like last years that should go 6-4 or 7-3 do well and go 9-1 in regular season play or even 10-0. Three teams that come to mind are 2001, 2007, and 2009. In 2001 GC won the Region Title when most counted them out, In 2007 they played in the State Title game beating two teams in the playoffs that beat them impressively in the regular season, and 2009 winning games the fans never thought possible.

Yes. You make some good points. After reading your post i remembered not only did Gate City beat Richlands last season at Richlands, they also beat them the year before at Gate City to open the season. If i'm not mistaken it wasn't very close. Like 24-0 at one point. I do expect Richlands to win next week but i think i thought that the last two seasons as well.

Yes. You make some good points. After reading your post i remembered not only did Gate City beat Richlands last season at Richlands, they also beat them the year before at Gate City to open the season. If i'm not mistaken it wasn't very close. Like 24-0 at one point. I do expect Richlands to win next week but i think i thought that the last two seasons as well.

It will be a great game win or lose!

Marion will have a good defense but will struggle a bit on offense the loss of johnson to Chilhowie hurts big time Wagner and Spencer Smith are the playmakers on offense

Thats good. I always pull for Smyth County teams when they aren't playing Chilhowie. Good luck week 2 and beyond!