The death of the Beaver and G-Men rivalry

Arthuritis

well graham was not very physical and young in some spots and it sure showed....still not sold on bluefield either though seemed boys from graham were in right spots several time but just not able to make plays....seems bluefield may not be as strong as in past of course it is only the first game...in wv though they will be very tough.

was observed tonight. Call off the life support; let the dying game draw it's last breath.....the game and the rivalry is over. Graham and Bland should play week # 1 next year

When you have a coach ignorant enough to run a flex option with 160-pound offensive linemen, said coach needs to be relieved of his duties. When you have a coach who either misleads (if you believe him) or lies (if you don't) about coverage of his team's rivalry game, said coach needs to be relieved of his duties. When you have a coach who has had more 40+-point losses in 4 years than his predecessors had in 30, said coach needs to be relieved of his duties.

As an alumnus of Graham High School, I am embarrassed and frankly ashamed of the state of my alma mater's football program, a program that is steeped in history and tradition. Who's with me?

When you have a coach ignorant enough to run a flex option with 160-pound offensive linemen, said coach needs to be relieved of his duties. When you have a coach who either misleads (if you believe him) or lies (if you don't) about coverage of his team's rivalry game, said coach needs to be relieved of his duties. When you have a coach who has had more 40+-point losses in 4 years than his predecessors had in 30, said coach needs to be relieved of his duties.

As an alumnus of Graham High School, I am embarrassed and frankly ashamed of the state of my alma mater's football program, a program that is steeped in history and tradition. Who's with me?

I said all this 3 years ago.......No one listened. Maybe when we suffer enough beatings people will wake up.

I was stunned when Marrs put the starting QB back in the game trailing 34-0 in the 3rd quarter. The kid staggered off the field the previous series after a hit to head, requiring help to make it to the sideline. And risks the rest of the season by putting him back in to score on Bluefield's second team? He took several more hard hits after he returned.

. When you have a coach who has had more 40+-point losses in 4 years than his predecessors had in 30, said coach needs to be relieved of his duties.

That right there says something. Carlock didn't always have good years, he had some lean years, but even those years, there was a lot of fight in his teams...very few blowouts.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, so to speak, so I can only offer observations. One thing, when Freddy took over at Bluefield, it felt like a mistake for a few years. They used to make so many errors, they couldn't even be sure they had 11 on the field for critical plays (especially punts and punt returns). But...most folks felt there were better days ahead with Freddy at the helm. It doesn't feel like it's getting better for Marrs, more like it's getting worse. If there are 160 pound offensive linemen (in addition to the 160 pound middle linebackers), is it because there are bigger kids who aren't as good...or are there capable kids at the school who simply do not want to play?

How much of this is generational, too? Back in the day, even when Bluefield or Graham had a bad year, kids wanted to be a part of the program. These days, there are just so many more distractions for kids, they don't feel the same about playing, I assume.

Thoughts?

I'm with ya....Don't know if any of you noticed....at the close of the first half...Marrs was calling for the QB to spike the ball ...on FOURTH DOWN!!!!....fortunately, the clock ran out before they got lined up...one of the other coaches was running over there to tell him not to spike it....that would've been embarassing. They also spiked the ball one play after a timeout had been called...The QB ran off 6 or 7 seconds getting the ball spiked...why not have another play called after the timeout?

I do see a lot of potential in these kids at Graham, however....they didn't quit...they were overmatched, outsized and were probably a year or two younger at just about each position on the field....I think they fought hard....I think they will be very solid next season....the defensive secondary needs work, but they are young there also, and small....big mismatch against tall bluefield receivers and the qb took advantage of it.....

I don't recall Graham ever losing by 40 plus points in any season prior to 2004....to anybody...I'm sure somebody will correct me...I hardly remember them giving up 40 points total in a game...

Edited by futbolking

I was stunned when Marrs put the starting QB back in the game trailing 34-0 in the 3rd quarter. The kid staggered off the field the previous series after a hit to head, requiring help to make it to the sideline. And risks the rest of the season by putting him back in to score on Bluefield's second team? He took several more hard hits after he returned.

Might have called him a wuss and told him to get back in there...who knows the thought process there....

I just hope these young kids don't get frustrated and give up, there's a lot of potential there for the next couple of seasons....they are very young and if they stick together should be solid next season and the season after, I think. They may take a few on the chin this year, however.

Edited by futbolking

Youth will be served at Graham in time. They will be clocked again next week at Cave Spring, but I saw some things I did like.

First and foremost was the play of Cody Hatfield on D. He has some talent, and will hit. Only a SO, he has a nice up side. Aaron Davdison threw some nice long balls, that should have been caught late. The last thing I noticed, was that the players did not drop their heads.

They do need to clean up some on pursuit angles on D. Sometimes they got too anxious and were sucked in on the option, and that led to big plays.

I leave the comments on coaching to others.

Might have called him a wuss and told him to get back in there...who knows the thought process there....

I just hope these young kids don't get frustrated and give up, there's a lot of potential there for the next couple of seasons....they are very young and if they stick together should be solid next season and the season after, I think. They may take a few on the chin this year, however.

The backup QB got hurt with a cramp I thought and Marrs decided to come back with Aaron Davidson, the starter. I knew it had to be for a least one play and I guess Davidson said he was OK to continue

The backup QB got hurt with a cramp I thought and Marrs decided to come back with Aaron Davidson, the starter. I knew it had to be for a least one play and I guess Davidson said he was OK to continue

Aaron, the starter, got hurt and was helped off the field then the backup got a cramp but he stayed in until the next series i'm pretty sure

People need to call schoolboard members and Dr.lawson .Doug is not truthful with the kids . If people don't speak up soon Doug and his one assistance that works at Bluefield is going to run this program in the ground.

People need to call schoolboard members and Dr.lawson .Doug is not truthful with the kids . If people don't speak up soon Doug and his one assistance that works at Bluefield is going to run this program in the ground.

Dr. Lawson isn't going to do jack squat, if for no other reason than she bleeds royal blue.

Neither will the school board members: it's too often not their calling to remove coaches.

There are only 2 people that would remedy this situation: the AD and the principal. Since Marrs is conveniently the AD, that option's out. O'Neal is the principal, and he goes farther back with Marrs than Bonnie goes back with Clyde. So the racket's set up, gents.

The ONLY thing that's going to get the attention is for the inflow of money to come to a dead screeching halt. No intake from boosters, no intake from Carlock-Pruitt. Make a stand against Marrs, and say: "until Marrs is relieved from his duties AND until the do-nothing assistant coaches are gone, we won't give you a dime." That might be what gets O'Neal to listen up and act. Until then, and ONLY until then, we're just spitting in the wind.

You have to play hardball against people who are too pigheaded to be reasonable. Sorry, but that's what will achieve change.

Sorry to say this but from the outside looking in it looks like he already has.

Not to be difficult but when did the before mentioned safety do anything positive. He was out of position all night and should be the deepest man on the field. I dont recall him hitting or tackling except one play and that was against the second team O. He doesn't seem to grasp the duties of a safety at all, you have to be very savvy to play safety and stay in your position. It was either bad coaching or pitiful play, my guess is poor coaching. He has no buisness being there. They should put him as a blood end so he doesn't have to think, use his so called "speed" to rush all night. He is just not a safety. I'm sorry but that comment about his potential/play is rediculous. Put Daylight in at safety. At least he reads plays and tackles. He played well. The only positive on D in my opinion. The secondary did not defend or break up a pass all night and you say the safty played well. Bluefields recievers made a number of good catches, but come on. I honestly dont think we defended one pass all night. Throw on Graham or run to the flats and you will win.

They should give some other players a chance on D and O so perhaps their backs can rest. It can literally be no worse and they can build for the future. The secondary as a whole was attrocious. That is the number one reason for a rediculously inflated scoreboard outside of the two offensive plays. I would have ran to the flats all night. You can't let them run by you then tackle from behind. The D in the middle against the run seemed sufficient. We stopped them one time all night, until the subs for Bluefield came in. They were just as dominant.

This is not a GHS D. They CANNOT TACKLE. Why hit a player head up when he outweight you by fifty pounds. POOR DEFENSIVE COACHING. I saw more more kids get trucked due to poor form than in the 30 plus years I have attended the game combined. The defensive coach should be demoted in lew of someone else. The people sitting around me were screaming for the saftie(s) and corners to be pulled all night. And when the second, possibly third, string offense for bluefield was passing and running all over them, there were still no subs. PATHETIC. If I was a young man on that team, that didn't play, I would assume I had no role whatsoever in football at Graham. No wonder they are in the shape they are in.

Any positive comments about the offense or defense are futile. The QB is a tough kid and had proboably the best run of the night from the spread. He threw to one kid on offense every time he had time to pass. The one reciever could not catch. The QB put the ball in his hands over and over again. The kid, number 40 something, cant catch either. When he finally threw to one of the other open recievers, there were plenty (no disrespect for Bluefield, I think they knew the ball was only going to one player). I think it was 5, that had a decent pick up on the only throw away from the other kid. In truth though he only had time to look at one person before he was hit in the mouth by a number of defenders.The kid he threw to on fifteen out of seventeen attempts (sarcasm) dropped every ball thrown his way. The back up QB pitched the ball on the option for a fumble but if it had been a good pitch it would have been a good gain. The starting QB seemed afraid to pitch the ball, but after watching the hands of the running back I can see why. I think the triple option will work from the spread if the defense is read efficiently. Spread the love. Let other backs carry the ball for goodness sake. The main back for Graham was ineffective last year and this year. Find someone to help him out. I knew who was getting the ball all night.

The assistant coach of the year truely showed how effective he was as a D coach. Perhaps he needs to go to some coaching clinics. Someone please ask him to shave the mullet he has growing from his chin, it is very unprofessional and not becomming of a professional. For God sake let Palmer or Bradshaw take over. Heck call Litz or Rick Marrs and see what they are doing. Graham was obviously outmatched but the D could not stop a pass all night and it was sad.

The offense needs to go from the spread to help the line. They also need to incorperate more than one player to help him out. He had Bluefield kids following him all night. The playbook needs to go away from dives and stretches. Throw the playbook away. The D and O needs to add some new faces (can't hurt, sub them in and out) and get better coaching. PLEASE work on TACKLING.

Graham needs a 0 or 1 win season for the community/athletic department to open their eyes. That will never happen because the schedules allow for some easy wins near the bottom. I don't think anything will be easy this year however so maybe it will happen. We beat a few teams near the bottom of the schedule and everyone thinks we "are getting better". We need to get better before the season starts. That starts with coaching.

Marrs is a good coach that has allowed some people to take over areas of the game they no nothing about. Like it or not he is a winner from a good past coaching staff, he knows his stuff. He just lets an assistant have to much power and play to many family members. He will learn. Hopefully.

The kids have a ton of fight and seem to work hard, just poorly coached. Some kids are out of position or have no reason playing all together. Some kids are O players, some are D players. I know of a few on D and O that need to play one way only. You got to hit to play football. When they break down film I'm sure the defense will be moved around and new faces starting, no one is dumb enough not to adjust the secondary after Friday night.

GOD HELP US!

Perhaps the assistant coach of the year thing was a ploy so he would leave for a college job. It worked in basketball and we are better for it.

The Graham/Beaver game should not be continued until many things change.

Edited by YOTD

Youth will be served at Graham in time. They will be clocked again next week at Cave Spring, but I saw some things I did like.

First and foremost was the play of Cody Hatfield on D. He has some talent, and will hit. Only a SO, he has a nice up side. Aaron Davdison threw some nice long balls, that should have been caught late. The last thing I noticed, was that the players did not drop their heads.

They do need to clean up some on pursuit angles on D. Sometimes they got too anxious and were sucked in on the option, and that led to big plays.

I leave the comments on coaching to others.

also the d backs need to be tought that when the receiver looks back for the ball then he needs to look also not just run with his back to the ball all the time beaver have tall receivers and graham was over matched with them but if the kids had been tought to look back at some point they might have been able to at least get a hand up and try to deflect the ball.

Not to be difficult but when did the before mentioned safety do anything positive. He was out of position all night and should be the deepest man on the field. I dont recall him hitting or tackling except one play and that was against the second team O. He doesn't seem to grasp the duties of a safety at all, you have to be very savvy to play safety and stay in your position. It was either bad coaching or pitiful play, my guess is poor coaching. He has no buisness being there. They should put him as a blood end so he doesn't have to think, use his so called "speed" to rush all night. He is just not a safety. I'm sorry but that comment about his potential/play is rediculous. Put Daylight in at safety. At least he reads plays and tackles. He played well. The only positive on D in my opinion. The secondary did not defend or break up a pass all night and you say the safty played well. Bluefields recievers made a number of good catches, but come on. I honestly dont think we defended one pass all night. Throw on Graham or run to the flats and you will win.

They should give some other players a chance on D and O so perhaps their backs can rest. It can literally be no worse and they can build for the future. The secondary as a whole was attrocious. That is the number one reason for a rediculously inflated scoreboard outside of the two offensive plays. I would have ran to the flats all night. You can't let them run by you then tackle from behind. The D in the middle against the run seemed sufficient. We stopped them one time all night, until the subs for Bluefield came in. They were just as dominant.

This is not a GHS D. They CANNOT TACKLE. Why hit a player head up when he outweight you by fifty pounds. POOR DEFENSIVE COACHING. I saw more more kids get trucked due to poor form than in the 30 plus years I have attended the game combined. The defensive coach should be demoted in lew of someone else. The people sitting around me were screaming for the saftie(s) and corners to be pulled all night. And when the second, possibly third, string offense for bluefield was passing and running all over them, there were still no subs. PATHETIC. If I was a young man on that team, that didn't play, I would assume I had no role whatsoever in football at Graham. No wonder they are in the shape they are in.

Any positive comments about the offense or defense are futile. The QB is a tough kid and had proboably the best run of the night from the spread. He threw to one kid on offense every time he had time to pass. The one reciever could not catch. The QB put the ball in his hands over and over again. The kid, number 40 something, cant catch either. When he finally threw to one of the other open recievers, there were plenty (no disrespect for Bluefield, I think they knew the ball was only going to one player). I think it was 5, that had a decent pick up on the only throw away from the other kid. In truth though he only had time to look at one person before he was hit in the mouth by a number of defenders.The kid he threw to on fifteen out of seventeen attempts (sarcasm) dropped every ball thrown his way. The back up QB pitched the ball on the option for a fumble but if it had been a good pitch it would have been a good gain. The starting QB seemed afraid to pitch the ball, but after watching the hands of the running back I can see why. I think the triple option will work from the spread if the defense is read efficiently. Spread the love. Let other backs carry the ball for goodness sake. The main back for Graham was ineffective last year and this year. Find someone to help him out. I knew who was getting the ball all night.

The assistant coach of the year truely showed how effective he was as a D coach. Perhaps he needs to go to some coaching clinics. Someone please ask him to shave the mullet he has growing from his chin, it is very unprofessional and not becomming of a professional. For God sake let Palmer or Bradshaw take over. Heck call Litz or Rick Marrs and see what they are doing. Graham was obviously outmatched but the D could not stop a pass all night and it was sad.

The offense needs to go from the spread to help the line. They also need to incorperate more than one player to help him out. He had Bluefield kids following him all night. The playbook needs to go away from dives and stretches. Throw the playbook away. The D and O needs to add some new faces (can't hurt, sub them in and out) and get better coaching. PLEASE work on TACKLING.

Graham needs a 0 or 1 win season for the community/athletic department to open their eyes. That will never happen because the schedules allow for some easy wins near the bottom. I don't think anything will be easy this year however so maybe it will happen. We beat a few teams near the bottom of the schedule and everyone thinks we "are getting better". We need to get better before the season starts. That starts with coaching.

Marrs is a good coach that has allowed some people to take over areas of the game they no nothing about. Like it or not he is a winner from a good past coaching staff, he knows his stuff. He just lets an assistant have to much power and play to many family members. He will learn. Hopefully.

The kids have a ton of fight and seem to work hard, just poorly coached. Some kids are out of position or have no reason playing all together. Some kids are O players, some are D players. I know of a few on D and O that need to play one way only. You got to hit to play football. When they break down film I'm sure the defense will be moved around and new faces starting, no one is dumb enough not to adjust the secondary after Friday night.

GOD HELP US!

Perhaps the assistant coach of the year thing was a ploy so he would leave for a college job. It worked in basketball and we are better for it.

The Graham/Beaver game should not be continued until many things change.

also someone needs to teach this kid that to block for a kick returner you need to be in front of him not behind him all night. and they need to do a better job of teaching blocking assignments and how to block better. all night long no one was staying with their blocks. and on the blocked punt no one even touched the beaver kid. and on the one punt i cannot understand why it was not a penalty on beaver when he ran into the punter. it was not touched because this was a great punt went for a long ways. but the ref just turned his back. this though was the only thing i saw on the refs part.

I got a suggestion. Let's find Polly Hamilton aka “The Lady In Red†who enabled Melvin Purvis’ G-men to take down John Dillinger coming out of The Biograph Theater in Chicago in 1934. We make her the cheer coach. Next year when the Bland Bartenders come running out the dressing room screaming like howling grizzlies, the G-cheerers do some 1934 chant like "Watermelon, watermelon, watermelon vine; look at the scoreboard and see who is behind". Bland will never know what hit them; the G-Men are 1 and 0 in the MED! The Beavs are a faded memory.

and on the one punt i cannot understand why it was not a penalty on beaver when he ran into the punter. it was not touched because this was a great punt went for a long ways. but the ref just turned his back. this though was the only thing i saw on the refs part.

I can tell you why a penalty wasn't called. The Graham kid, #4, shoved Bluefield player, which I believe was Woodrum, in the back and into the punter. The official saw it and so did the Graham sideline, which is why no one really argued the call outside of #4. It was a good no-call. The Bluefield kids took great angles all night in nearly blocking multiple punts and avoiding the kicker in the process.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

I can tell you why a penalty wasn't called. The Graham kid, #4, shoved Bluefield player, which I believe was Woodrow, in the back and into the punter. The official saw it and so did the Graham sideline, which is why no one really argued the call outside of #4. It was a good no-call.

Woodrow?

I can tell you why a penalty wasn't called. The Graham kid, #4, shoved Bluefield player, which I believe was Woodrum, in the back and into the punter. The official saw it and so did the Graham sideline, which is why no one really argued the call outside of #4. It was a good no-call. The Bluefield kids took great angles all night in nearly blocking multiple punts and avoiding the kicker in the process.

I dont know about #4 pushing him into the kicker or what happened with that but i know the graham coaches were going crazy. Marrs ran out half way on the field lol