Graham gets last seed at 1-9?

stubbycurrence

Those AAA schools have o-lines that average bigger that richlands biggest player and backs that probably all run under 4.8, it would be no contest and to think it would be is absurd. It would be like JI Burton vs Richlands. JIB is one of the top d2 schools around but would be down by 30 to Richlands at the half. The Virginia playoff system(with all of its flaws) does split teams up evenly

student enrollments

JIB 200 Richlands 700 Phoebus 1300,The talent in that part of the state is rediculious! Enrollment also makes a huge difference (unless you are Abingdon)

The difference between D1/D2 D3/D4 D5/D6 isint that great but the skip a division and it is huge i.e. D1/D3 D3/D5

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those AAA schools have o-lines that average bigger that richlands biggest player and backs that probably all run under 4.8, it would be no contest and to think it would be is absurd. It would be like JI Burton vs Richlands. JIB is one of the top d2 schools around but would be down by 30 to Richlands at the half. The Virginia playoff system(with all of its flaws) does split teams up evenly

student enrollments

JIB 200 Richlands 700 Phoebus 1300,The talent in that part of the state is rediculious! Enrollment also makes a huge difference (unless you are Abingdon)

The difference between D1/D2 D3/D4 D5/D6 isint that great but the skip a division and it is huge i.e. D1/D3 D3/D5

Talking to a couple of fans up there Friday night. Phoebus has 2 starting skill players that run in the 4.7-4.8 range....A FB and a TE. They have 2 HB's, and 4 WR's that all run between 4.4-4.6. Thats just their main players, as Im sure they have plenty of younger kids on the bench with that type of speed also. HB's and Recievers running 4.8 up there usually dont get off the bench. And you're right....They're very big on the LOS. BTW, their weightroom is very nice. It's larger than some gyms in SWVA, lol

They line up in the I, and flat out run over people. They'll also come out in 3 and 4 wide sets to. They're very balanced, and have the skill to beat teams on the ground and in the air.

Edited by battleftbl

Get out of SWVA people. The 757 area is loaded with talent. Im cheering for Richlands but to think they are a team that can go up against a school in AAA in that area or Richmond is a joke. Speed and size on every team. Richlands has some good players, but they would be picked a part by other teams secondary and running backs

Lets get back to the original topic. Okay I've heard of 2-8 going to state, but what would the Graham motto be for 1-9????

How about "1-9 Doug and John are fine."

Edited by Blue_Crue

Get out of SWVA people. The 757 area is loaded with talent. Im cheering for Richlands but to think they are a team that can go up against a school in AAA in that area or Richmond is a joke. Speed and size on every team. Richlands has some good players, but they would be picked a part by other teams secondary and running backs

Phoebus isn't in Richmond. We are all aware of the talent that comes out of the Tidewater area. Nobody is saying Richlands would beat them. Only that Phoebus is not 80 points better. And I don't need to see them to know that, because a team that is 80 points better than 2010 Richlands can't be a high school team.

Phoebus isn't in Richmond. We are all aware of the talent that comes out of the Tidewater area. Nobody is saying Richlands would beat them. Only that Phoebus is not 80 points better. And I don't need to see them to know that, because a team that is 80 points better than 2010 Richlands can't be a high school team.

Richlands wouldn't come close to beating them, but the score may not quite be as bad as some on here think.............in 1992, Richlands defeated Salem 17-7. Salem beat Pulaski County during the regular season that year, interesting because Pulaski County went on to win the AAA division 6 state championship. Since that time Pulaski has dropped two divisions......

Richlands wouldn't come close to beating them, but the score may not quite be as bad as some on here think.............in 1992, Richlands defeated Salem 17-7. Salem beat Pulaski County during the regular season that year, interesting because Pulaski County went on to win the AAA division 6 state championship. Since that time Pulaski has dropped two divisions......

That was back in the days before the population explosion in the northern and eastern parts of the state. Before NOVA grew up exponentially and before the concept of the "757" was even born. Smaller populations all around, leading to smaller high schools and smaller talent pools to draw from.

It's so hard to believe how SWVA is lagging behind the rest of the state in virtually everything.

Makes me want to hit something or cry. I don't know which.

Would be nice to see Richlands and Tennessee High play. I know Tennessee High used to play Gate City, Graham and Grundy for a couple of years. What are your thoughts on this?

That's the matchup I would like to see. They usually have a quality program, have two D-1 recruits to Tenn this year. Also, would be a lucrative gate for the home team.

[/i]Life have many choices---eternity two[/i]

Yep. My memory may be going, but didn't Graham in 2001 scrimmage Varina HS from Richmond and get their butts kicked in? And everyone knows how powerful that 2001 team was...

I think that was 2002 at the TD classic in Pulaski...I was there and believe it or not, Graham did move the ball very well against Varina....However, they had 6....yes I said 6 turnovers in 2 quarters....3 interceptions returned for td's....that accounted for the lopsided score....Graham had more overall yardage. graham also stomped Pulaski something like 24 to 6 on the same day and Pulaski scrimmaged Varina pretty evenly...so take it for what it's worth....

Also, I disagree with Phoebus beating Richlands that badly....I believe richlands could hold their own (or Christiansburg for that matter), for a while until the larger school's depth takes over...and they pull away..

I think that was 2002 at the TD classic in Pulaski...I was there and believe it or not, Graham did move the ball very well against Varina....However, they had 6....yes I said 6 turnovers in 2 quarters....3 interceptions returned for td's....that accounted for the lopsided score....Graham had more overall yardage. graham also stomped Pulaski something like 24 to 6 on the same day and Pulaski scrimmaged Varina pretty evenly...so take it for what it's worth....

Also, I disagree with Phoebus beating Richlands that badly....I believe richlands could hold their own (or Christiansburg for that matter), for a while until the larger school's depth takes over...and they pull away..

In fact, I know that it was 2002 that Graham scrimmaged Varina....Belcher was the quarterback....Pulaski came to bluefield in 2001 and beat Graham 35 to 34....that was the scrimmage where Joel Hicks came running out on the field after Reed Oakes picked up a fumble and returned it 98 yards for a td....anyway...it was definitely 2002.

A little long. I'd go with: "1-9, Douggie's Fine!"

I'd say.."1-9....reschedule the games away next year and we'll be fine"...

What a joke....finishing your last year in AA like this....being the whipping boy for all of those teams.....that's how they'll be remembered....and talked about as being too weak to compete in AA anymore....

Time to head for the middle of the pack in the weakest single A district in the state !!!!!!

Woo hoo!!!

Edited by futbolking

In fact, I know that it was 2002 that Graham scrimmaged Varina....Belcher was the quarterback....Pulaski came to bluefield in 2001 and beat Graham 35 to 34....that was the scrimmage where Joel Hicks came running out on the field after Reed Oakes picked up a fumble and returned it 98 yards for a td....anyway...it was definitely 2002.

Actually in 2002 HT Matthews was still the quarterback. We beat Pulaski in a scrimmage 34-21 down there that year. The following season we lost to Pulaski something like 7-6 or maybe 14-6 in a game we lead until Kevin Matthews broke his arm. That is why Belcher was the quarterback which was his and Ahmad's senior season.

Actually in 2002 HT Matthews was still the quarterback. We beat Pulaski in a scrimmage 34-21 down there that year. The following season we lost to Pulaski something like 7-6 or maybe 14-6 in a game we lead until Kevin Matthews broke his arm. That is why Belcher was the quarterback which was his and Ahmad's senior season.

So, was that 2003??? that I'm thinking of...

For some reason I thought 2002 was Bradshaw's senior season...

If Graham had the middle school coaches they would be so much better. Unfortunately they have 2 egomaniacs that are running the program into the ground.

I totally agree. Remines and Coppolo are excellent with the kids from what I hear and are really teaching them good fundamentals.....Better yet, they have great personalities and are easy to get along with. Kids respect those kind of coaches and WANT to play for them... Definitely a contrast from what's at the high school.

See, I told you my memory goes. ;)

I recall that Pulaski County scrimmage in 2001, the 35-34 deal. Little did we know that both of those teams would be playing in Lynchburg that December 8th. Littler did we know that both would be favored and lose in pretty shocking fashion.

Looking back on that 2002 season, pretty disappointing ending, especially given the hype that the team had early on in the season. I do recall that most were talking about the possibility about a return to Lynchburg. However, it just wasn't meant to be, especially given the conditions that snowy Friday night in Mitchell Stadium. I can still see, clear as daylight, that 4th-and-11 pass hitting Taylor right in the numbers and falling right to the snow. Last game of my high school years, tend to remember games like that...