Update on what's going on at Graham

Dung Marrs

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually number 77 from tazewell was not from pocahontas. And there is no need to bash the kids on their game because they are playing how SOME of the coaches have taught them to play. However, some of the other coaches do know what they are talking about! 2 of them have been on teams that have made it to state, played with Ahmad Bradshaw and the other has a bowl game in a D1 college under his belt.

Actually number 77 from tazewell was not from pocahontas. And there is no need to bash the kids on their game because they are playing how SOME of the coaches have taught them to play. However, some of the other coaches do know what they are talking about! 2 of them have been on teams that have made it to state, played with Ahmad Bradshaw and the other has a bowl game in a D1 college under his belt.

No one is bashing the kids. As in any sport, it is a CONTINUAL learning process. If you play on a high school level with only the fundamentals you learned in youth leagues and middle school, you're going to get hammered. That's been the problem with Graham baseball for two decades, and now we're starting to see that in Graham football, too: NO coaching at the varsity level. You don't have to go 1-9 to know bad coaching when you see it.

And just because two of the assistant "coaches" were on that 2001 team doesn't mean ANYTHING. It means that they were good players. Good players do not good coaches make. Else, Isiah Thomas would be one of the greatest coaches in basketball history. I could not possibly care less whether or not the "coaches" played in the Jiffy Lube Shock Absorber Bowl. What I care about is whether or not those "coaches" are teaching the kids and doing so in a proper manner. Just because one learned the knowledge themselves doesn't mean that one can pass it on effectively.

I'm sure Doug knows the fundamentals, but he's surely not teaching them.

To add to what UVaObserver said, I don't think anybody around here is questioning the desire or talent of the players on the team. Rather, the #1 issue is the coach, and at least one assistant coach. Honestly, I can't believe that Graham is doing this poorly, I believe there has generally been enough talent there to do a lot better...I'd put that blame squarely on the coaches.

I don't have a dog in this hunt as a BHS grad, just that I hate to see Graham at this level. I'd love to see them win every game each year save for the first one. I also get the impression that this is not because the coach is losing games. It's how he's losing, how he's handling the program, how he's teaching the players, and how he's treating the players.

I played for Fred Simon for a year a long time ago, at the junior high level. He was my OL coach. I have a lot of respect for him. When Freddie took over at BHS, I can't lie, there were some awful years there. I think it was a thing where his assistants were not doing a good job. Sadly, one of the assistants is a good family friend, and I think he was involved in the special teams, and back then, it seemed that they could never get 11 men on the field for punts and kicks (and returns). Still, even in the lean years, I don't think folks felt that Freddie was treating the kids poorly. Of course, those years were before Al Gore gave us his internet :D , so there wasn't a forum like this to discuss it. I'm guessing Freddie took some heat back then, but again, I think it wasn't really him, it was more the assistants.

Most of the comments I have seen have very little to do with the actual losses, and more to do with the treatment of the players. Even winning coaches get fired for treating the kids poorly.

BeaverHokie...you nailed it! It's not so much that we have a losing record, but it's how we are losing, what they are teaching the kids, and the fact that they really do treat the kids so poorly. I talked with a player the other day that said there are some big ol boys walking the halls that would make great linemen but won't play because of Doug and WeeCee.

And just because two of the assistant "coaches" were on that 2001 team doesn't mean ANYTHING. It means that they were good players. Good players do not make good coaches.

If that was true, Patrick Henry, under the coach Mike Compton, would be alot better than they are.

doug marrs was the #1 reason i chose tazewell over graham

Seriously now, how many kids has Graham lost to neighboring schools because of the coaches? I know most of the Pocahontas players came to Tazewell instead of Graham. I know a few players have gone to Richlands, Bluefield, and I beleive Princeton.

What does that say about the coaching?

Seriously now, how many kids has Graham lost to neighboring schools because of the coaches? I know most of the Pocahontas players came to Tazewell instead of Graham. I know a few players have gone to Richlands, Bluefield, and I beleive Princeton.

What does that say about the coaching?

An even better question is how many kids are there that go to Graham that don't play football because of the coaches at Graham???

An even better question is how many kids are there that go to Graham that don't play football because of the coaches at Graham???

That is probably the smartest question I have ever heard.

That is going in my signature thing.

I'm not sure how true this is, but I heard when the Pocahontas students were visiting Graham, Doug told the football players, "you can come out if you want, but we've got our starting lineup."

he said, " you can go to tazewell if you want to, but you better get ready to take that loss in october"

What as a community are the people at graham willing to do? If graham as a community are willing to commit to having the program run as in the past then it's obvious things need to change and the only way that will happen is with the community being heard as one voice. They must rally togeather and allow the decision makers to undestand its not just about w and l's, it's about how the kids are treated and instructed. I have to say they are not all treated fairly, given opportunities, or instructed properly. It seems to be a family affair. Mistakes by some = bench and i quote "u suck" or "you seniors have never won what are you crying for" same mistakes by others = more playng time. The entire secondary! The receivers. Same kids that can't catch it on d are asked to be receivers and guess what! They can't catch it there either...amazing! But nobody else gets opportunities. I watched it all year! I could go on and on. 4th and 5 and we run 2 yard routes! The kids see this, that is why alot of kids walking the halls won't play. They think it's funny! I hope for the kids sake changes are made. We have kids already talking about not playing next year or leaving. Either make this staff see it's errors and change or maybe it's time to move on. To talented to finish 3rd in the med next year! Sorry for the long post...just venting! Hope it gets turned around! To proud a history...to much tradition!

What as a community are the people at graham willing to do? If graham as a community are willing to commit to having the program run as in the past then it's obvious things need to change and the only way that will happen is with the community being heard as one voice. They must rally togeather and allow the decision makers to undestand its not just about w and l's, it's about how the kids are treated and instructed. I have to say they are not all treated fairly, given opportunities, or instructed properly. It seems to be a family affair. Mistakes by some = bench and i quote "u suck" or "you seniors have never won what are you crying for" same mistakes by others = more playng time. The entire secondary! The receivers. Same kids that can't catch it on d are asked to be receivers and guess what! They can't catch it there either...amazing! But nobody else gets opportunities. I watched it all year! I could go on and on. 4th and 5 and we run 2 yard routes! The kids see this, that is why alot of kids walking the halls won't play. They think it's funny! I hope for the kids sake changes are made. We have kids already talking about not playing next year or leaving. Either make this staff see it's errors and change or maybe it's time to move on. To talented to finish 3rd in the med next year! Sorry for the long post...just venting! Hope it gets turned around! To proud a history...to much tradition!

Exactly...WeeCee had three players who would make the same mistakes over and over all year that never came off the field...when another kid would make that same mistake once or twice they were benched and told they suck.

I'm not sure how true this is, but I heard when the Pocahontas students were visiting Graham, Doug told the football players, "you can come out if you want, but we've got our starting lineup."

I heard that he told them that Graham could use some rednecks on their team....

We will see if there is enough community support to do anything with the current situation at GHS. People ,parents and community leaders need to speak out or except the current coaches and let the situation die. I agree there needs to be change in many areas of leadership at GHS, but until citizens are willing to face these individuals then nothing will happen.It is pasted due ,it has gone on too long , and enough is enough.See ya at the VFW Tuesday night!

We will see if there is enough community support to do anything with the current situation at GHS. People ,parents and community leaders need to speak out or except the current coaches and let the situation die. I agree there needs to be change in many areas of leadership at GHS, but until citizens are willing to face these individuals then nothing will happen.It is pasted due ,it has gone on too long , and enough is enough.See ya at the VFW Tuesday night!

I agree if you can come and don't then quit complaining. People are coming out to face these guys face to face all they need is support from the community. Time to man up and stand up for our kids.