Cave Spring twice as many students as Grundy

Gizmo777

Anybody notice that Cave Spring is only 12 students from having double the students of Grundy. I realize that there's nothing anybody can do about it but it should probably make a big difference in the outcome of the Game Friday. When you have twice as many students to pick a football team from you should dominate the game in practically all areas. I actually am very curious of the outcome of the game between these two teams Friday and am pulling hard for Grundy to pull the upset. But these enrolement numbers do stick out quite a bit, and will make the task at hand almost impossible. The old David versus Goliath story. Go David go.

Edited by Gizmo777

Anybody notice that Cave Spring is only 12 students from having double the students of Grundy. I realize that there's nothing anybody can do about it but it should probably make a big difference in the outcome of the Game Friday. When you have twice as many students to pick a football team from you should dominate the game in practically all areas. I actually am very curious of the outcome of the game between these two teams Friday and am pulling hard for Grundy to pull the upset. But these enrolement numbers do stick out quite a bit, and will make the task at hand almost impossible. The old David versus Goliath story. Go David go.

Thats one reason Grundy is dropping to Single A next year.

To be fair, this is more because Grundy is playing up a classification rather than Cave Spring rigging the system.

Not like what Harrisonburg did in 2001...

CS is going to be bigger than Richlands as well, but they manage to compete...the numbers are what they are...Grundy is the smallest AA school in the state, I dont even think they would be anywhere near one of the bigger A schools in the state...thats just something they will always have to deal with. Winning makes more kids want to be a part of your program...as you see at Richlands...Grundy has a lot of kids that could play ball that never come out for football....hopefully the success of this years team will bring a few more out next year.

Grundy will be kinda in the middle in terms of numbers in A.

I know Lance knows this and observer has already pointed it out but Grundy wanted to play up and be AA (exactly why is beyond me) well they got what they wanted. I dont think there is anything to complain about!

Grundy will be kinda in the middle in terms of numbers in A.

I know Lance knows this and observer has already pointed it out but Grundy wanted to play up and be AA (exactly why is beyond me) well they got what they wanted. I dont think there is anything to complain about!

Might have had something to do with the wrestling program. I know that is one reason they didn't want to drop into the BDD. Are they going to be in the BDD for wrestling too or what? I know there aren't many wrestling teams in the BDD... and if there are, they aren't very good. The lack of competition on a yearly basis could drag the program down - I mean probably not - they play in big tournaments across the state, but its definitely a step down from the SWD...

Might have had something to do with the wrestling program. I know that is one reason they didn't want to drop into the BDD. Are they going to be in the BDD for wrestling too or what? I know there aren't many wrestling teams in the BDD... and if there are, they aren't very good. The lack of competition on a yearly basis could drag the program down - I mean probably not - they play in big tournaments across the state, but its definitely a step down from the SWD...

wrestling team will be fine...the GWC goes all over the place playing the top teams in the nation, that won't change.

also, I have not seen anyone from Grundy complain about us playing CS and them being a bigger school...every year you get a big school drop down from Div 4 to Div 3, used to be Richlands...it's nothing new.

I am just pointing out the number discrepensies between Grundy and Cave Spring to emphasisze just what an accomplishment Grundy has done to be there and if they compete with Cave Spring, even more. I know Cave Spring outnumbers Richlands as well but not nearly as much. Richlands is always outnumbered in the State playoffs once they get out of the region and into the semi-finals or finals. Monticello had them outnumbered by arouind 500 students a couple of years back in the finals. Its just the way it is, but it still does effect the outcome for all of our Southwest area teams and is worth pointing out. All area teams are way out numbered when they go deep into the playoffs. CUDOS TO ALL SOUTHWEST AREA TEAMS WHEN THEY HAVE SUCCESS IN THE PLAYOFFS.

I believe Grundy will fit well into the A size teams and the team this year would have been a force there. If they return many with Bergalow they will be a force next year. I thought they had some tough linemen and linebackers as well. This is a very good, physical football team for 450 or so students. Reminds me of some of the Clintwood teams. Very impressive.

My mistake Gizmo, for a second I assumed you were crying like southbound or falconman about how life wasnt fair. My bad

Im sure this has been brought up on here before but how many schools in Reg D do have wrestling programs? JJ Kelly, Castlewood, Appalacia, I assume most of the clinch mountain schools? and while were at it how does the wrestling regular season and postseason work, school Avs school B or meets, then playoffs or regional meets? I know little about it but I think DC High is going to try to start a wrestling program when the new school is built so I am very interested!

I figured Grundy stayed AA for wrestling and tradition. The way things were is quickly disappearing in this area, dont know if it is good or bad?

I dont think any of the BDD schools have wrestling teams, I think a few tried back in the 90s but failed due to a lack of interest, I may be way off on that though!

Grundy would be very solid this year in the Reg D playoffs, probably regional runner up, I dont see them being able to beat Gate City but I could see them beating Honaker.

A Grundy- Gate City matchup would be worth watching for sure. Both teams are physical and run the ball well. I think Grundy would hold thier on in the matchup but who knows who would win. Only speculation this year. May make for some good playoff games in years to come if Grundy keeps program at this year's level as Gate City is always good.

I don't know about Grundy's plans for the wrestling team and the BDD. As pointed out earlier they will have the travel matches to keep them ready for the playoffs even if no BDD teams to compete with them. I hope Richlands and all other SWD teams will be on thier match slate. I really don't know what to think of all the old rivalries going away but change is inevitable. We all must adapt or be left behind.

Grundy has the heart talent and the raw determination to beat cs. Grundy is going Down there to win and I would nt be surprised the least if grundy won Friday there a very good team!

I will be pulling for Grundy all the way but I don't see Grundy coming close in this one, sorry!!! CS wins 28+

Anything can happen....I am SURE everyone here remembers AHS losing to JI Burton and the big deal that was made of the fact that AHS has 2 or 3x as many kids. Good luck Grundy...but I just don't see it happening this week....but,as they say, that's why they play the game!

Anything can happen....I am SURE everyone here remembers AHS losing to JI Burton and the big deal that was made of the fact that AHS has 2 or 3x as many kids. Good luck Grundy...but I just don't see it happening this week....but,as they say, that's why they play the game!

Grundy ≈ JI Burton, Cave Spring > Abingdon...and I'm not speaking in terms of enrollment.

CS is going to be bigger than Richlands as well, but they manage to compete...the numbers are what they are...Grundy is the smallest AA school in the state, I dont even think they would be anywhere near one of the bigger A schools in the state...thats just something they will always have to deal with. Winning makes more kids want to be a part of your program...as you see at Richlands...Grundy has a lot of kids that could play ball that never come out for football....hopefully the success of this years team will bring a few more out next year.

winning brings more kids out that normally dont play is the key.during the heath miller yrs honaker probally brought close to 50 kids out .now they do good to have 30 by the end of the season.if all the farm kids would play ,that stack hay all summer would come out ,i think it would make a difference .just not interested with sports .i kno many will say that u just have 11 on the field at a time but its a huge difference when u can use 20 or 25 kids at either side of the ball.that all happens from the numbers u get out , which comes from the number of kids in the school.schools that have these numbers yr in and yr out should be competitive ever yr.

Haysi has alot of that, espicially right now. The redneck boys just arent interested and those are often your tough defensive players. You are right though liltiger Honaker at one time always had those cornfed boys, they dont seem to be there now.

Grundy stayed AA because of the $$$. We're going to lose a LOT of gate by replacing Graham, Tazewell, Richlands & Abingdon with TV, Honaker, and who knows who else.

As for wrestling, wel.... it was said over the years that we wouldn't drop to A as long as Dresser was lat C'burg, and that rumor has pretty much been engrained in ppls heads.

Grundy CAN'T wrestle in AA... VHSL doesn't allow a school to split sports into diff. Groups... but you can move districts if that sport isn't offered. Therefore, we'll wrestle in the LPD, if it's still in existance next year.

Grundy stayed AA because of the $$$. We're going to lose a LOT of gate by replacing Graham, Tazewell, Richlands & Abingdon with TV, Honaker, and who knows who else.

As for wrestling, wel.... it was said over the years that we wouldn't drop to A as long as Dresser was lat C'burg, and that rumor has pretty much been engrained in ppls heads.

Grundy CAN'T wrestle in AA... VHSL doesn't allow a school to split sports into diff. Groups... but you can move districts if that sport isn't offered. Therefore, we'll wrestle in the LPD, if it's still in existance next year.

honaker still had tazewell,richlands ,abingdon,for a few yrs with the rest of schedule being district play.not sure what the new changes is for next yr but i guess it be hard to get those schools to play when u drop down.

So many times I see and hear comments like "Grundy has half the students at Cave Spring," or "Richlands always has less enrollment than the teams they play in the playoffs." Abingdon has the smallest enrollment of any Division IV school in the state, and if I whined about this, everyone is SWVA would be on my case. Abingdon struggles to compete with Divison III schools in football, and everyone here realizes this, but the VHSL is happy. Grundy and Richlands should be excited to be playing in the post season. I'm glad they earned the opportunity.

I sympathize with all schools in similar predicaments, but nothing will ever be done until the VHSL does something. For example, the VHSL finally allowed Grundy and Graham to drop to single A, but only on their (VHSL) terms. The new 5-classification plan that was considered a year or two ago would have heen great for some schools but terrible for others in SWVA. Schools in SWVA have to fight for everything when it comes to the VHSL (and the lobby represented by the rest of the state) so the way I look at it, Districts need to stick together and all schools in like divisions need to stick together and lobby as a whole to the VHSL.

I wonder what will happen in the years to come, but I clearly understand that many Virginians thinkl the state stops at Roanoke or the New River Valley. The only way SW VA can have a voice is to work together.

huh???? ALLOWED???? Nope!

Grundy has not WANTED to drop. Graham has not WANTED to drop. VHSL had NOTHING to do with them staying in AA.

If I remember corrently, Graham didn't want to go in same Single A direction VHSL wanted so they opted to stay AA a while longer . . . not sure but seem to recall similar situation with Grundy. Grundy, Graham, and every other school will always be at the mercy of the VHSL. Bottom line, it's like everything else, SWVA will always be the part of the state with less voice, clout, etc. simply due to geography, demographics, etc.

Youre right about SWVA having less of a voice in VA but wrong about the VHSL forcing Grundy and Graham to play up in AA. The VHSL may have wanted Graham in Reg D and they wanted to go to C but thats about it as far as I know.

Abingdon is at a disadvantage come playoff time but nobody makes fun of them for that, its the regular season that the Falcons struggle with. Abingdon is almost twice the size of many of its district opponents and 4 times the size of some of its regular season opponents and struggles to compete, thats why people rag on the Falcons so much.

Edited by redtiger