Cave Spring @ Richlands

mv91

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Cave Spring's line is small, I would say Richlands O line can do what they did to Martinsville's D line last night. We ran the ball most of the entire 2nd qtr and their line was just wore out by ours. We were gettin atleast 10 yds just about every run.

Cant wait to see these two teams play!!!!

Lance, what do you think is going to give Richlands the biggest problems?

If Cave Spring's line is small, I would say Richlands O line can do what they did to Martinsville's D line last night. We ran the ball most of the entire 2nd qtr and their line was just wore out by ours. We were gettin atleast 10 yds just about every run.

Cant wait to see these two teams play!!!!

they dont have a big line, we ran the ball on them...problem is they have so much speed all over the place...you guys will match up with them a lot better than we did, but you are are still going to have to try to catch them...it's hard to tackle what you cant catch. They get the quick passes in open space and then it's hard to catch them. I don't think they will hit you anything close to what the Grundy kids did, so I think you guys will be able to run the ball all night long and play physical with them...just not sure if you will be able to stop them any better than we did when they get the ball in open space. I think they may just have too much speed for you to handle?

Putting the teams aside. Next week the staff at Cave Spring will have to deal with Greg Mance and co. Not Rowe. Big difference in my opinion. I think we can match up with anyone we play (size or speed.) The Knights will have to come into ole' Ernie. As the Head Coach from Brookville put it a couple of years age. Those fans are "hostile." All in the SWD are invited to come in and support the Blues and be a little "hostile" themselves.

they dont have a big line, we ran the ball on them...problem is they have so much speed all over the place...you guys will match up with them a lot better than we did, but you are are still going to have to try to catch them...it's hard to tackle what you cant catch. They get the quick passes in open space and then it's hard to catch them. I don't think they will hit you anything close to what the Grundy kids did, so I think you guys will be able to run the ball all night long and play physical with them...just not sure if you will be able to stop them any better than we did when they get the ball in open space. I think they may just have too much speed for you to handle?

Turf makes things a couple of steps faster if a team has worked on it a bunch.

What's with the "Richlands is slow theme" lately lol. Martinsville coach said pretty much the same thing in the paper then he watched Bradley Strong, Devon Johnson, Sean Overton, Jack Vance, and others run over them, through them, and past them all night long. In your case you saw them play in the mud for the first time since little league lol. Richlands is not slow. This is the fastest team we've ever had.

From what I under stand from other coaching staffs from the northern area. Martinsville is FASTER then Cave Spring. They were there scouting the game last night. How many times do you see the offensive line HEADLINE the news papers. A small defensive line will hold for a quarter or so. But there is no way they can take a continious POUNDING for 4 quarters. It is going to be a tough game, but it is the playoffs and each week the games get more competitive. Richlands knew they were in a football game last night. There are some sore boys this morning. Good Luck BLUES !! Stay Focused, Have a good week of PRACTICE and let it all PLAY OUT Friday night.

Edited by Blue Mama

Ok...you guys don't get all bent out of shape here...not saying Richlands is slow...not at all...I'm just saying Cave Spring has speed everywhere you look...not just a couple of kids here and there, but everywhere...the fact 4 of them have college rides already is impressive enough, but they still have a lot more speed even beyond those guys...they are not anywhere near as physical as Richlands is, but to me they seem to have more speed...and not just going off of the Grundy game in the mud either.

As far as the comment about Rowe, he didn't do anything wrong in this game at all...there was a huge advantage in speed and that was the difference.

Berglowe had 171 yards and 2 TD's against them on defense...the last one came against the 2nd string, but he did get a 73 yarder against the first team...they ran him down but he was able to keep his feet moving enough to get free.

Richlands is going to have trouble with the speed...no doubt...mistakes will probably decide the game...like any playoff game you cant give the other team anything and expect to win.

Again, I'm not knocking Richlands at all...I'm just being honest about what I see...and I think you guys will have some trouble with the speed Cave Spring has. I wont miss this game...I have no idea what to expect.

I think we handled Martinsville speed just fine and I think we will handle Caves also. I just wonder if they can handle our physicality!

I know that Martinsville is not Cave, but we heard about all the speed they had. We wore them down physically and that's what we will need to do against Cave.

The Martinsville coach said that they had faced some good teams this year, like Brookville, Magna Vista and Liberty and said Richlands was the best team they had seen all year so I think we will be ok.

We will have to play hard for 4 qtrs and play as mistake free as we can.

I also think that playing Martinsville probably helped us, by playing a team with that kind of speed, speed we hadn't seen all year so it could help them deal with Caves speed.

Their QB is very good and we'll have to control him and keep pressure on him.

Cave is a very good team and this should be a very good game !!

Edited by Bigrhsfan

I think Richlands will be ok...They have been in the playoffs enough to know what to expect and how they have to bring it all or go home...With our coaching staff they will have these guys ready to go...I by no means think this will be an easy game Cave always has a good team so this should be an awesome game!!!!

I agree that playing Martinsville was a huge asset to us for the Cave Spring game. You can't get ready for speed unless you see it. Our offense will be fine against anyone but our defense just does not play fast teams enough to be cocky about it. We have fast players but not everywhere. I hope we get the early breakdowns defensively we had corrected. I think we can trust Lance about the assesment of Cave Spring. He's only doing us a favor to help our players be ready for a real test. I think we will win but it will not be easy. If nothing else just RUN THEM OVER AND MAKE THEM LIKE IT. Our offensive line needs to come out to punish them up front, and show them what corn fed southwest virginia boys are all about. They had the senior laden O-line last year and our guys were young but this year its reversed.

I traveled 4 hrs to watch the game last night.Got back home around 4a.m this morning. Well, guess it's gonna be another road trip next Friday. This team works together better than any football team I have ever seen play. Wow ! Just stay focused and I think you guys will be fine.

People here every week speak like Richlands is in trouble or Richlands might just barely eek out a win. Has anyone been paying attention to just how badly Richlands has been beating the pulp out of everyone they've faced?

This will be closer, sure. But give me Richlands by 14.

They haven't played anybody. That's what happens when you play Graham, Tazewell, Marion.

Christiansburg kicked the crap out of CS. As long as we show up to play, we are about 3 touchdowns better than the Knights.

Richlands--35

Cave Spring--10

I agree you are about 3 td's better than Cave....but it'll be more like ...

Richlands 49....Cave 28...

I nailed the score last year in this matchup.....I think I'm right on again this year...

Hummility is a virtue that a lot of you Guys need to learn. It only makes you stronger. I think Richlands will win but it only hurts our team to blow so much smoke up their A$$ and completely discount the defending Region 4 champs. I hope you're egos don't effect our team and their quest for a state Title. A true sportsman just plays the game and is humble in a win and congratulatory in a loss.