I think Tyrod got screw out of this race!

Bulldogs52

How do you know that FSU and Miami will get "straighted" out??? FSU wasn't even on the map before Bowden and, in the late 70's, the University of Miami was trying to decide whether to drop the D1-AA or drop the football program altogether.

And I can remember, when I was a kid, UT had an average-at-best football team. They didn't become relevant until the Peyton Manning years but he never won an NCAA Championship...it took Tee Martin to get it done...

But I digress. Enough with the historic past, let's talk about the present. If UT doesn't beat UNC in their bowl game, the Vols will be 2 games under .500 over the last three seasons...and even if you win, your still only a .500 team from 2008-2010...

OK Genius,

FSU and Miami both are surrounded by tons and tons of talent in the state. Between those two schools they have won 7 national championships in the last 30 years. You honestly think FSU and Miami are not going to get better?...... Wishful thinking..... Your short time is going to come to an end soon enough....

I don't know when you were a kid. But Tennessee has won more games than any program in college football since 1926. They won 10 or more games three times in the 70's and went to bowl games all but two years. They won the SEC three times in the 80's and again went to bowl games all but two of those years. Three more SEC titles in the 90's plus a national championship. Bowls every year from 1989 to 2005. Even in this decade which you say we haven't been very good. We have four years with 10 or more wins.... And that is playing in the best conference in the country.... a decade where we have had three coaches in three years..... You can bash UT all you want. But the fact is if you compare VT's program to ours it is laughable. We have been a dominate program for a long time. Again there are up years and there will be down years. But you have no clue about college football if you say UT has been "average at best"......

You are new money..... Johnny come lately.... Before Vick came along did Tech even play football? Give me a break...... It isn't going to last..... Not like now anyway..... I promise you that.....

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Genius,

FSU and Miami both are surrounded by tons and tons of talent in the state. Between those two schools they have won 7 national championships in the last 30 years. You honestly think FSU and Miami are not going to get better?...... Wishful thinking..... Your short time is going to come to an end soon enough....

I don't know when you were a kid. But Tennessee has won more games than any program in college football since 1926. They won 10 or more games three times in the 70's and went to bowl games all but two years. They won the SEC three times in the 80's and again went to bowl games all but two of those years. Three more SEC titles in the 90's plus a national championship. Bowls every year from 1989 to 2005. Even in this decade which you say we haven't been very good. We have four years with 10 or more wins.... And that is playing in the best conference in the country.... a decade where we have had three coaches in three years..... You can bash UT all you want. But the fact is if you compare VT's program to ours it is laughable. We have been a dominate program for a long time. Again there are up years and there will be down years. But you have no clue about college football if you say UT has been "average at best"......

You are new money..... Johnny come lately.... Before Vick came along did Tech even play football? Give me a break...... It isn't going to last..... Not like now anyway..... I promise you that.....

The SEC hasn't been world beaters this entire time. Before Florida did it in the 90's, I think the only SEC team to win a NC since '70 was Bama and maybe Georgia once in the 80's. The SEC has only really set itself apart from the PAC, Big12, and Big10 in the last 7-8 years. During this time UT hasn't been very good.

It's a storied program with a longer winning history than VT. But history doesn't win you games brother. Last 7 years, VT > UT.

OK Genius,

The truth is painful to some

The SEC hasn't been world beaters this entire time. Before Florida did it in the 90's, I think the only SEC team to win a NC since '70 was Bama and maybe Georgia once in the 80's. The SEC has only really set itself apart from the PAC, Big12, and Big10 in the last 7-8 years. During this time UT hasn't been very good.

It's a storied program with a longer winning history than VT. But history doesn't win you games brother. Last 7 years, VT > UT.

Bama won three in the 70's, they won 9 SEC titles in the 70's. They also won in 92. UGA won in 80. Oklahoma had some great teams in the 70's and won some. Miami won several. But the SEC has been a great conference through all that. If you think otherwise you clearly don't know college football.....

Also you are wrong about the seven years. Maybe 5 but there is no way you can say you where any better in 03 or 04 for that matter... We had 10 wins in 03 you where 8-5 and lost the insight .com bowl for christ's sake.... 04 we won 10 games and two of the three loses where to undefeated Auburn.... We beat FL twice in those two years. You have had a good run.... I give you that. But you have been better than us since 05 Fulmer's collaspe. Honestly I don't think you would have beaten the 07 team who played in the SEC championship...... We have had three coaches in the last three years.... I give you those and 05....... That is it..... Your glory years........ Ha!

I am a bigger tennessee fan then i am a vt fan, I root for both. But I about bet the way UT is playing right now with Bray being one of the best up and coming QB's in the nation that they could beat tech. Tennessee sometime in the next 3 years should be a Bcs bowl contender. if not a National Championship. Tyler Bray is an amazing quarterback. I like what Derek Dooley is doing, he is going to be a great coach.

OK Genius,

If you would like throw stats up, we can. People do not care how good your program in the early 90's. I am sure recruits are not like, wow they were good when I was like 3. Since you clearly believe that Vick was the start to Tech since 1999, his freshman year Tennessee has a combined record of (87-53) that is about a 59.77 win% Tech is (121-35) which is a 71.07 win %

OK Genius,

Since VT and Miami have been in the same conference and have played on an annual basis, VT leads the series 11-8. Since VT and FSU have been in the same conference, the series is tied 2-2. On a level playing field, VT has been able to compete pretty well vs. both of these schools

Yes, average at best when I was growing up. I would consider those years from the time I started to school to the time I went to college...that would be the 1972 season through the 1984 season. UT had ONE 10-win season during those years, 1972...they also had one 9-win season and two 8-win seasons during that span. The rest were 7 or less wins with with three seasons at .500 or worse. VERY AVERAGE in my opinion.

Umm, yeh, as a matter of fact, VT had been to six straight bowl games prior to Michael Vick including beating Texas in the '95 Sugar Bowl. The Hokies have now been to a bowl game every season since 1993...that's 18-straight seasons for those keeping count at home. Also, VT has now won 10 or more games for the last SEVEN years...no other school can say that. And finally, the most important FACT of all, the last time our two teams matched up, MY team beat the crap out of YOUR team...and there's nothing you can say or do to change that...

0.jpg

I am a bigger tennessee fan then i am a vt fan, I root for both. But I about bet the way UT is playing right now with Bray being one of the best up and coming QB's in the nation that they could beat tech. Tennessee sometime in the next 3 years should be a Bcs bowl contender. if not a National Championship. Tyler Bray is an amazing quarterback. I like what Derek Dooley is doing, he is going to be a great coach.

Before you go handing Bray the Heisman and UT a National Championship trophy, step back and look at the competition he faced as a starter over the last four games of the season: Memphis (1-11), Mississippi (4-8), Vanderbilt (2-10), and Kentucky (6-6).

Those teams have a combined won-loss record of 13-35 and the average rank of the four teams for points allowed is 98.

In the other four games he saw action in, UT went 1-3 and Bray was 25-47 for 303 yards with 2 TDs and 3 INTs.

He is no Peyton Manning...

Before you go handing Bray the Heisman and UT a National Championship trophy, step back and look at the competition he faced as a starter over the last four games of the season: Memphis (1-11), Mississippi (4-8), Vanderbilt (2-10), and Kentucky (6-6).

Those teams have a combined won-loss record of 13-35 and the average rank of the four teams for points allowed is 98.

In the other four games he saw action in, UT went 1-3 and Bray was 25-47 for 303 yards with 2 TDs and 3 INTs.

He is no Peyton Manning...

I didn't say any of that, I just said they are going to be good. you can't argue anything that he isnt good. look at his stats for a freshman

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=501546

14 td's 5 int's and is averaging 192 yards a game. that's not bad for a freshman.

and who has VT beat that is a quality opponent? fsu without their qb? unc that lost half their team to recruitment violations? duke? wake forest? central michigan? They got NC state, FSU, and Miami who is not really that good at all, and that is about it. Virginia Tech is a good team, I'm not gonna argue with you on that. they almost beat Boise State after being down 17-0. but I still don't see how they will ever be able to contend for a national championship. Tennessee might lose their bowl game, it depends on which UNC team shows up. But i guarantee that they will be back near the top of the SEC within a couple of years. I like VT too, but the acc is a joke 95% of the time.

The 5th place SEC team plays the 2nd place ACC team in the Peach Bowl.

Food for thought.

That’s not entirely true. I guess it depends on if you rank your teams by overall record, conference record, ranking, or fans attendance. Since 2005 the ACC Championship runner up has only been invited to the Bowl once, (2010 FSU). The SEC Championship runner up has played in it twice since 2003, (LSU and South Carolina). But here are the rankings in overall record I think.

2003 – Clemson 3rd vs Tennessee 4th

2004 – Miami 3rd vs Florida 5th

2005 – Miami 3rd vs LSU 2nd *

2006 – Virginia Tech 3rd vs Georgia 6th

2007 – Clemson 4th vs Auburn T-4th

2008 – Georgia Tech T-3rd vs LSU 5th

2009 – Virginia Tech 3rd vs Tennessee 5th

2010 – FSU 2nd * vs South Carolina 2nd*

Edited by dawgs86

In the bowl selection process, if #2 ACC is set to play in the Chick-Fil-A/Peach Bowl, doesn't mean the 2nd place team from that conference. That means that bowl has 2nd choice of team from that conference. So after the ACC champion is taken to the Orange Bowl, Peach has their choice of any bowl eligible team. From SEC it would have 5th pick of any bowl eligible team. Same for all bowls and conferences.

That’s not entirely true. I guess it depends on if you rank your teams by overall record, conference record, ranking, or fans attendance. Since 2005 the ACC Championship runner up has only been invited to the Bowl once, (2010 FSU). The SEC Championship runner up has played in it twice since 2003, (LSU and South Carolina). But here are the rankings in overall record I think.

2003 – Clemson 3rd vs Tennessee 4th

2004 – Miami 3rd vs Florida 5th

2005 – Miami 3rd vs LSU 2nd *

2006 – Virginia Tech 3rd vs Georgia 6th

2007 – Clemson 4th vs Auburn T-4th

2008 – Georgia Tech T-3rd vs LSU 5th

2009 – Virginia Tech 3rd vs Tennessee 5th

2010 – FSU 2nd * vs South Carolina 2nd*

Fair points, and it's something that I honestly failed to consider. Though I would quibble with automatically ranking a conference title game loser as 2nd. For seeding purposes, I would still use conference records. For example, you could have an 8-0 and 7-1 team in one division, while the conference title game loser from the other division is 6-2. I would rank said conference title game loser 3rd.

My point still stands, though, that in a typical year the ACC pits a higher-finishing team against a lower-finishing SEC team. And UT was ranked noticeably lower than VT. Not saying VT wasn't better, they obviously were. Just that UT was nudged into that game by the SEC's bowl selection scheme.

Tech would never see the BCS again...... ever..... Ha! Better stick to the ACC. SEC is for the big boys......

That's the same things the Vol's are thinking as well!

Edited by Bulldogs52

Then what the hell is Tennessee doing in the SEC??? I guess every conference needs a doormat...ACC has Duke, SEC has UT...

How is this any different from comments that I have made? Why not "put the foot down" on your own post. Hmmm. Shouldnt this be called SWVTSPORTS.COM? You know the whole practice what you preach deal. Why can TN be bashed and not VT? Serious answers only please.

How is this any different from comments that I have made? Why not "put the foot down" on your own post. Hmmm. Shouldnt this be called SWVTSPORTS.COM? You know the whole practice what you preach deal. Why can TN be bashed and not VT? Serious answers only please.

Because when you compare VT and Tennessee. Tennessee sucks. 37-14

Because when you compare VT and Tennessee. Tennessee sucks. 37-14

I wasnt comparing TN & VT, I asked a question. Comparison, lets look at facts. If you dont like FACTS, blame it on wikipedia.

First football season : TN - 1891 VT - 1892

Stadium Capacity : TN - 102,544 VT - 66,233

Largest Crowd : TN - 109,061 (Fla-2004) VT - Not shown

All Time Record : TN - 783-334-53 VT - 668-428-46

Bowl Record : TN 25-23 VT 9-14

National Titles : TN (6)1938,1940,1950,1951,1967,1998 VT - 0

Conference Titles : TN - 16 VT - 7

Concensus All-Americas : TN - 38 VT - 8

Comparison? Like it or not there is no comparison. No doubt VT has had the upper hand of late. But . . . the New Orleans Saints have had the upper hand on the Dallas Cowboys as of late. And theirs too is the same, NO COMPARISON. Enjoy, the Orange Bowl, and enjoy coming up short AGAIN.