State finals updates

VHSLhelper

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just left the stadium in Salem and sooooooooooo glad to see Gate City defeat Gretna! Great team, great fans, and great sportsmanship! I must admit that after Richlands rolled over Brookville in the semis I had a gut feeling that they would not win the championship game.

Blues have certainly had their problems in the title game. Even the one we won (against a four-loss Rockbridge team) came down to the wire.

I don't agree with those that say that it's because of the schedule because it's not about talent -- it's about execution. The Blues seem to have the same type of "big game" issues as Virginia Tech. Perplexing, to say the least.

Blues have certainly had their problems in the title game. Even the one we won (against a four-loss Rockbridge team) came down to the wire.

I don't agree with those that say that it's because of the schedule because it's not about talent -- it's about execution. The Blues seem to have the same type of "big game" issues as Virginia Tech. Perplexing, to say the least.

This is just my personal opinion .... I was disappointed that Richlands did not win the state title as I always support the schools from southwest Virginia. You have made some interesting points; however, I do think that the "soft schedule" scenario could be prevented. Obviously, the quality of the SW district was down this year and that is something no one can control. You have to play your district schedule but Richlands could certainly improve their schedule credibility by dropping the single A schools.... with the exception being Gate City. Honaker and Lebanon have to go and I think the scheduling credibility would no longer be questionable.

This is just my personal opinion .... I was disappointed that Richlands did not win the state title as I always support the schools from southwest Virginia. You have made some interesting points; however, I do think that the "soft schedule" scenario could be prevented. Obviously, the quality of the SW district was down this year and that is something no one can control. You have to play your district schedule but Richlands could certainly improve their schedule credibility by dropping the single A schools.... with the exception being Gate City. Honaker and Lebanon have to go and I think the scheduling credibility would no longer be questionable.

Richlands could make an effort to deflate the "soft schedule" argument, but it won't go away until our SWD brethren start performing a heckuva lot better than they have been recently. From a competitive standpoint, it would be fine to drop Honaker and Lebanon. Bluefield would be a great replacement for one. But we'd have a hard time finding a quality opponent for the other. From a $$$ standpoint, the Honaker game is bread and butter for both schools. Until the Tigers get tired of being used as a punching bag, get used to that one on the schedule.

But again, I think the schedule's a complete red herring. The Blues played lights out last week and blasted a top quality opponent. That same effort just wasn't evident today, and there are several factors involved. Bottom line is that I think we have to give Poquoson credit -- their ability to stop the run really seemed to take our staff out of its comfort zone and they made some really smart second half adjustments on offense.

Strength of schedule is relevant in college football because of the BCS. High school football shakes out pretty much the way its supposed to regardless of that kind of stuff, IMO.

Richlands could make an effort to deflate the "soft schedule" argument, but it won't go away until our SWD brethren start performing a heckuva lot better than they have been recently.

don't blame the rest of the SWD, everyone is dealing with their own problems be it the number of students in the school or changing of coaches or just a coach no one seems to like...you have another half a schedule you could fill with teams like Bluefield and choose not to. I don't think the current schedule hurts you, but I think playing a harder schedule would probably help you.

don't blame the rest of the SWD, everyone is dealing with their own problems be it the number of students in the school or changing of coaches or just a coach no one seems to like...you have another half a schedule you could fill with teams like Bluefield and choose not to. I don't think the current schedule hurts you, but I think playing a harder schedule would probably help you.

Wasn't really meant as a dig at other SWD quite as much as trying to illustrate the point that the schedule argument's impossible to win one way or the other.

Liberty-Bedford plays a challenging schedule within the district (Seminole) and out most years. (In fact, the Minutemen have inked a two year deal with Harrisonburg starting next year.) They're competitive on a regular basis (arguably Top 10 in Division 3 statewide most years), yet they haven't been very successful in regional playoffs. From the standpoint of getting better, what advice might be offered to Liberty?

Bottom line... Richlands clobbered one of the top teams in the state by 37 points and lost a tough game by 6 points to the state champion. Schedule's about as relevant as jersey color.

Wasn't really meant as a dig at other SWD quite as much as trying to illustrate the point that the schedule argument's impossible to win one way or the other.

Liberty-Bedford plays a challenging schedule within the district (Seminole) and out most years. (In fact, the Minutemen have inked a two year deal with Harrisonburg starting next year.) They're competitive on a regular basis (arguably Top 10 in Division 3 statewide most years), yet they haven't been very successful in regional playoffs. From the standpoint of getting better, what advice might be offered to Liberty?

Bottom line... Richlands clobbered one of the top teams in the state by 37 points and lost a tough game by 6 points to the state champion. Schedule's about as relevant as jersey color.

L-B is not Richlands...Richlands is not L-B. The fact that L-B is in the hunt every year says a lot about the program. They play a good schedule and it probably helps them out...as far as them not winning state with the schedule they play, it's not the only thing you need. Richlands seems to have all the other pieces to the puzzle, playing a harder schedule might help in the long run.

The only thing people are saying is that it would probably help you to play some better teams in your non-district games...like i said before, i don't think the current schedule hurts you or puts you at a disadvantage.

The only thing people are saying is that it would probably help you to play some better teams in your non-district games...like i said before, i don't think the current schedule hurts you or puts you at a disadvantage.

Gotcha. Copasetic, my man.

L-B is not Richlands...Richlands is not L-B. The fact that L-B is in the hunt every year says a lot about the program. They play a good schedule and it probably helps them out...as far as them not winning state with the schedule they play, it's not the only thing you need. Richlands seems to have all the other pieces to the puzzle, playing a harder schedule might help in the long run.

also in the years that ghs had good teams they played the swd schedule and a tough non district schedule they made it to the playoffs many times and to the state on several occasions. the tough schedule helped them but what hurt them was big game jitters they could not seem to play like they did in the regular season in the final game.

... Richlands could certainly improve their schedule credibility by dropping the single A schools.... with the exception being Gate City. Honaker and Lebanon have to go and I think the scheduling credibility would no longer be questionable.

Lebanon's gone... we got Patrick Co. in their place. Traded Grundy for Pulaski Co. We'll have basically the same SOS the next 2 years. Then I look for Patrick & a TBD to get bumped for Thing 1 & Thing 2 over in Wise Co.