VA vs. TN All Star Game this Saturday!

Lance

one of those days for the VA boys...everything that could go wrong did...QB's were out, Hess from Abingdon had to play basketball and Lockhart was pretty sick...just a ton of mistakes and turnovers...but everyone seemed to have a good time and they split the playing time up so everyone got lots of time on the field...so, it was a good day overall and looked like everyone had fun...which is what this sort of game is all about...would have been nice to win, but the experience of playing against and with some of the best players in our area was a good thing for all the boys.

I took about 250 pics...will post them up later.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I hated was the fact SWVA is known for power running but for some reason a coach known for the Spread was picked to coach VA. Even the announcers were talking about that. They said Vaughn needed to be more involved and how VA needed to line up and run it. Most of the VA players involved came from power running teams then in just one week they had to try and learn to play in the spread! TN still wins reguardless but I doubt it would have been as embarassing. Not impressed with the first annual FCA All Stars game. Hopefully it will improve next year.

What I hated was the fact SWVA is known for power running but for some reason a coach known for the Spread was picked to coach VA. Even the announcers were talking about that. They said Vaughn needed to be more involved and how VA needed to line up and run it. Most of the VA players involved came from power running teams then in just one week they had to try and learn to play in the spread! TN still wins reguardless but I doubt it would have been as embarassing. Not impressed with the first annual FCA All Stars game. Hopefully it will improve next year.

well...Lockhart and Hess were both slated to be the QB's and they both run the spread...both were out...VA had 10 kids out that were supposed to play for various injuries, illness, etc etc etc.

The TN folks played pretty much the starters the whole game...Carmichael was in at the end was still running the ball. The VA side made sure that the kids all got time on the field...which to me was a good thing...I think it was meant to be about the kids more than just winning in the end...and I don't say stuff like that often.

The VA team had very little practice, you can put a defense together in a 4-3 and do "ok" with not much practice, but the offense you need more time to get it together. They had 3 days scheduled and the ice storm killed one of those days...that didn't help.

There was a lot more to it than just not power running the ball...it was a mess top to bottom on offense...every play seemed like it ended in a fumble, INT, or a penalty. The two TD's the VA team had called back didn't help either...both should have been TD's.

Going in to it though, I told you guys the Carmichael kid was the real deal...and he put on a show today...fun kid to watch play.

I thought the first game was a great success...there is a lot that goes in to pulling off a game like this and a ton of effort involved...and this one was first class all the way....I'm sure they will learn a few things from the first go around and make some changes for next year...but, the bottom line is that it was a great thing for the kids...and that is the important thing.

well...Lockhart and Hess were both slated to be the QB's and they both run the spread...both were out...VA had 10 kids out that were supposed to play for various injuries, illness, etc etc etc.

The TN folks played pretty much the starters the whole game...Carmichael was in at the end was still running the ball. The VA side made sure that the kids all got time on the field...which to me was a good thing...I think it was meant to be about the kids more than just winning in the end...and I don't say stuff like that often.

The VA team had very little practice, you can put a defense together in a 4-3 and do "ok" with not much practice, but the offense you need more time to get it together. They had 3 days scheduled and the ice storm killed one of those days...that didn't help.

There was a lot more to it than just not power running the ball...it was a mess top to bottom on offense...every play seemed like it ended in a fumble, INT, or a penalty. The two TD's the VA team had called back didn't help either...both should have been TD's.

Going in to it though, I told you guys the Carmichael kid was the real deal...and he put on a show today...fun kid to watch play.

I thought the first game was a great success...there is a lot that goes in to pulling off a game like this and a ton of effort involved...and this one was first class all the way....I'm sure they will learn a few things from the first go around and make some changes for next year...but, the bottom line is that it was a great thing for the kids...and that is the important thing.

I could have sworn I heard the name Josh Hess called at QB when I tuned in toward the end of the game (about 6 minutes left) after the other QB got hurt on a hit near the sidelines?

Edited by blueinbama

I got to watch some of the replay on CH11, Trey Meade is a great athlete but not a QB and the spread sucks(I like to spread it out a little but not the whole game). I assumed it being an all star game and the idea being to put everyone on display the teams would run Pro-I(balanced offense/easy to highlight everyones abilities), with some spread and some Power I / T? Just a thought

I think the spread itself and the lack of familiarity from a lot of the VA kids had the offense behind before they started. VA had the size advantage, and TN had the speed. Brad Strong had a great game even when being held and blocked in the back most of the game on the ends. Was impressed with several folks on both sides. Turnovers kill, and just dug a hole too big to climb out of.

I got to watch some of the replay on CH11, Trey Meade is a great athlete but not a QB and the spread sucks(I like to spread it out a little but not the whole game). I assumed it being an all star game and the idea being to put everyone on display the teams would run Pro-I(balanced offense/easy to highlight everyones abilities), with some spread and some Power I / T? Just a thought

Trey was to be a wr, on wedneday of game week our #1 qb Cody Lockhart of Richlands came down very sick. He was rushed to physicians with slurred speech ,incohersion,and dizziness. On friday he had a Cat-scan and results are still pending. Tanner Marshall of Grundy broke his hand in wrestling,Seth Clark of Gate City had an injurey and Cody Davidson of Gate City had injuries.One player ,Caey Booher did not play,he lost his grandmother and was a pallbearer at her funeral saturday. I can tell you this,the guys who played ,played with heart and passion. Va was in the red zone around 3 times but couldn't convert. The defense of Va was very good in my opinion. Loved big Will Lowe ,Jacob Wolford ,and Princeton Graham of Marion. The Stewart kid of Burton had a great game .Loved Albert Fajardo's block punt and td! Brad Strong was fun to watch ,lol. Man can that kid run. One td he got was called back which hurt momemtum for team Va. B Strong was also called for a pass interference when in reality the offensive guy ran into him. Take away the two players from Greenville and Tenn was an average team. They played pretty well the entire game while Team Va insured all our guys got playing time. Glad to see the many helmets from so many schools represented there. Close to 50 different high schools,everyone really looked great at the end of the game from both teams on 1 knee at midfield. The Jake Logue's Leadership and Influence awards went to Nick Solt of Sullivan South and Joesph Vaughn of Gate City..This game was dedicated in memory of Jake Logue ,nearly 100 players participated ,nearly 20 high school coaches volunteered their time,all refs and chain gang were volunteer , Chick fila freely supplied after game meal,all players got to keep their All-Star jerseys, Watagua Orthapedic paid for insurance for the game. Media did a fantastic job ,radio ,tv ,print, FCA players and parents banquets went really well. Friends like Lance was on hand to take pics,and the weather was just perfect football weather.

It was great to see all those kids from different schools getting to play together and some become friends.

They seem to have had a lot of fun with the game and that is what is should be about !

Proud of all our SWVA boys and congrats to a NE-TENN team on it's win.

A special shout out to the Blues players since I am a blues fan...LOL ! Sorry to see all of the Sr's leave but wish you all good luck in your future ! Thanks for the memories !!

Great job to everyone that helped put it together and hope this game will continue !

So sad to see another great high school football season come to a end !

Come on 2011 !!!!

It was great to see all those kids from different schools getting to play together and some become friends.

They seem to have had a lot of fun with the game and that is what is should be about !

Proud of all our SWVA boys and congrats to a NE-TENN team on it's win.

A special shout out to the Blues players since I am a blues fan...LOL ! Sorry to see all of the Sr's leave but wish you all good luck in your future ! Thanks for the memories !!

Great job to everyone that helped put it together and hope this game will continue !

So sad to see another great high school football season come to a end !

Come on 2011 !!!!

"Gate City vs Richlands" I can't wait... that's the classic post that kicks off football season

If this continues I would like to see a few changes. The biggest is the date to be played on. Try to have the game when the seniors would not be occupied with other sports. I just feel this game was played to soon after regular seasons were over and while basketball was just kicking off.

If this continues I would like to see a few changes. The biggest is the date to be played on. Try to have the game when the seniors would not be occupied with other sports. I just feel this game was played to soon after regular seasons were over and while basketball was just kicking off.

problem is there is always something going on with HS sports...

Tenn coaches feel the best time to play this game is the date it was played. What are the other changes you feel should be made?

I think that they should give both teams the same amount of time to practice Tn team had 2weeks of practice while the Va team had 3days and one was canceled due to weather. A team can't come together in just 2 days of practice.

Tenn coaches feel the best time to play this game is the date it was played. What are the other changes you feel should be made?

Allow more than one TE. A lot of the VA teams in our area use 2 TEs. Of course the TN coaches would rather play the date it was played. In TN there are larger schools therefore more seniors to choose from that dont play basketball. In VA the schools are smaller and a lot of our football players play and are relied upon too much to play basketball therefore are unable to participate in what could be their last chance to play HS Football. Maybe play this game toward the end of Feb. or first of March. Then we might be able to get more VA players to participate. Also if this truely is for the kids then make it manditory that each player must be played for a certain amount of time. Since there are 50 players then 25 players that play in the first half can not play in the 2nd half so that the other 25 are played. The main thing to me is the date. I would like to see the kids that want to play get to without another sport taking priority.

Agreed, 3 days is not enough. I like the date, if you wait util its summer(like the VHSL all star game) then they are occupied w/ other allstar games and its too far removed from football season, that being said having the game right after football season hurts the players who play Bball. If the game was moved to the end of Bball season then the baseball players would be left out, there is no perfect situation.

I would like to see every player get at least 10 snaps (excluding special teams), kickers and punters of course are bound by game situation in this regard. If a players wants to be part of an all star game and goes to practice then he should get to play.

Where was pratice held for each team? Somewhere central to each team would be best(maybe Honaker for the VA team?)

The NET team is always going to have certain advantages over SWVA, thats just how it is.

Just some thoughts

Edited by redtiger

Agreed, 3 days is not enough. I like the date, if you wait util its summer(like the VHSL all star game) then they are occupied w/ other allstar games and its too far removed from football season, that being said having the game right after football season hurts the players who play Bball. If the game was moved to the end of Bball season then the baseball players would be left out, there is no perfect situation.

I would like to see every player get at least 10 snaps (excluding special teams), kickers and punters of course are bound by game situation in this regard. If a players wants to be part of an all star game and goes to practice then he should get to play.

Where was pratice held for each team? Somewhere central to each team would be best(maybe Honaker for the VA team?)

The NET team is always going to have certain advantages over SWVA, thats just how it is.

Just some thoughts

But is there not just a little more time between basketball and baseball than there is between Football and basketball?

But is there not just a little more time between basketball and baseball than there is between Football and basketball?

Nevermind that. There really is no perfect time to do this game. Both teams do need equal practice time, there should be more than one TE allowed, and all players need equal playing time.. Anyways good luck continuing these games and hope this gets better every year.

Nevermind that. There really is no perfect time to do this game. Both teams do need equal practice time, there should be more than one TE allowed, and all players need equal playing time.. Anyways good luck continuing these games and hope this gets better every year.

Think next year plan is to do one huge banquet for all players rather than 2 seperate banquets, on a monday ,then practice 4 days -tuesday-friday and play on saturday. Someone posted earlier Tenn had 2 weeks to practice and that's not true . Tennessee did practice 3 days to Va's 2. Tennessee did practice on good turf,and Va practiced on Va High's practice field and it was an ice and mud swamp on friday's practice . Wednesdays practice was cancelled for team Va because of ice storm. Cody Lockhart getting sick really hurt the offensive punch of Va. I agree about having two tight ends . My feeling is simply play the game as you would a regular high school game. Think team Va may look further North for players also next year ,possibly some guys from Roanoke region to even the playing field.